hey i'm thinking of calling my band tiger rag

were playing melodic hardcore(ie rise against bad religon comepack kid ect)

should i be worrtied about
A. people instantly associating us with tiger army
or
B. people accosiating us with django reinhart
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
I've heard much worse band names than that. I don't think people will care.
Given that Django Reinhardt is dead and he's no longer in the public eye I'd worry more about people associating you with Tiger Army.

Besides, given that Django Reinhardt is pretty beastly at guitar for a guy with two fingers on his fret hand, I'd take it as a compliment if someone said "Like Django Reinhardt?" when you tell them your band name.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Rise against and Bad Religion, Melodic hardcore?

i thought they were more punk driven
"Play on Turn on Live on" - Jonzors

"Without music life would be a mistake" - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

"What you are is what you have been; what you will become is what you do now." - Gautama (the Buddha)
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Why are you calling yourselves Tiger Rag, if you don't mind me asking?

IDK i saw teh song title and thought it would make a bood band name

why did the rollingstones call themselve the rolling stones
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by Jonzors
Rise against and Bad Religion, Melodic hardcore?

i thought they were more punk driven

punk orientated, yeh.

but rise against is definately melodic hardcore
lol when i read the name i thought you were gunna say your a ragtime pianist
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by outlaw metaler

why did the rollingstones call themselve the rolling stones

Because there's an easily gleaned meaning behind it? Like, the axiom "a rolling stone gathers no moss?"

You might have chosen a classic band with a more esoteric name, like Led Zeppelin.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Because there's an easily gleaned meaning behind it? Like, the axiom "a rolling stone gathers no moss?"

Actualy they did simply name themselves after their favourite Bob Dylan song 'Like a Rolling Stone.' They could just have easily ended up calling themselves 'The Little Red Roosters.'
Quote by BaffAttack

You might have chosen a classic band with a more esoteric name, like Led Zeppelin.

Which came about when Keith Moon of The Who said 'This band will go down like a lead balloon!'
The name was simply a piss take.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 20, 2008,
Right on, I knew why, I'm just saying that some names are really quite easy to glean where they came from (because really, the Dylan song is referencing the axiom about rolling stones anyway), while others need to actually be explained.

Like Tiger Rag.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Retro Rocker
Most of the best names make no sense.
Whitesnake, Deep Purple, Rush, Styx, Thin Lizzy, etc.

The three in the middle are a bit random, but they make sense. I'm sure many a metal band kinda wish Styx wasn't used so they coulda used it, or maybe River Styx.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
The three in the middle are a bit random, but they make sense. I'm sure many a metal band kinda wish Styx wasn't used so they coulda used it, or maybe River Styx.

Well, I know they make sense, but they don't mean anything.
I mean, Deep Purple? When you think about it, what kinda name is that?
Quote by Retro Rocker
Well, I know they make sense, but they don't mean anything.
I mean, Deep Purple? When you think about it, what kinda name is that?

Well, it's better than 'Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich' (British 60s band).....

.... but not as Good as 'Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction'
A good name has to link with the band, it has to feel right. Inside the name there should a relevance to either the bands music and your overal sound, or the band members themselves; maybe something about their aspirations, maybe about their tastes in someone they all love. Whatever. If its just a word that you heard and thought sounded cool but has no relation to your band and your sound, it is just another pointless name.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Actualy they did simply name themselves after their favourite Bob Dylan song 'Like a Rolling Stone.' They could just have easily ended up calling themselves 'The Little Red Roosters.'

Try again dude. They were formed a few years before Dylan wrote that song. They named themselves after a Muddy Waters song. The magazine Rolling Stone was however named after the dylan song.

[/history lesson]

to TS, it kind of makes me think about tigers menstruating.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Last edited by civildp1 at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by civildp1
Try again dude. They were formed a few years before Dylan wrote that song. They named themselves after a Muddy Waters song. The magazine Rolling Stone was however named after the dylan song.

I stand corrected, I wasn't around at the time but I knew it was a song they were named after.
Quote by civildp1
to TS, it kind of makes me think about tigers menstruating.

I also found this true when I read the name.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Which came about when Keith Moon of The Who said 'This band will go down like a lead balloon!'

No, They formed the band in 1962, "Like A Rolling Stone" wasn't recorded until acouple years later. They took it from the Muddy Waters song "Rollin' Stone," because they were big, they were a blues cover band.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

No, They formed the band in 1962, "Like A Rolling Stone" wasn't recorded until acouple years later. They took it from the Muddy Waters song "Rollin' Stone," because before they were big, they were a blues cover band.
Quote by messiah01
No, They formed the band in 1962, "Like A Rolling Stone" wasn't recorded until acouple years later. They took it from the Muddy Waters song "Rollin' Stone," because before they were big, they were a blues cover band.

Quote by messiah01

I refer you to the retraction I gave in post #18.... twice.
Name's ok.

But Bad Religion melodic hardcore? Where the hell do you get that from?

Bad Religion is pretty much straight up punk.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Quote by Retro Rocker
Most of the best names make no sense.
Whitesnake, Deep Purple, Rush, Styx, Thin Lizzy, etc.

Whitesnake is british slang for male genitals