how many of you guys actually know how to read the music and really play the guitar the right way. How many of you guys just play using tabs, thus not really knowing how to play real music.
Quote by vmanoman
damn....thats nuts. 2 nuts in fact. anyway, all that happened to me was i fell up a flight of stairs....like not up a few steps, but tripped at the bottom and fell up the entire flight.....
Tabs, I wish I had someone to teach me real music
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
"Playing the right way" "not playing real music."
That, sir, is where I call you stupid and exit the thread. And I read sheet music and tabs.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

how many of you guys actually know how to read the music and really play the guitar the right way. How many of you guys just play using tabs, thus not really knowing how to play real music.

I know how to sheet music. And its not some badge of honour either, anyone can play "real music". Please take you elitist crap somewhere else.......
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by blink18244

If I read a tab, I am most certainly playing real music.......

I learn mostly from tab or by ear. I can only read very simple sheet music

Jack my swag
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
I know how to sheet music. And its not some badge of honour either, anyone can play "real music". Please take you elitist crap somewhere else.......

Someone agrees with me.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Quote by blink18244

I lol at your ignorance.
For my bass I use tabs, for Keyboard or vocals I use sheet music.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Both...

Tabs only show notes, and fretboard position (or procedure for any other instrument)..

Sheet music shows notes, key signature (key basicly), rhythm, and other information regarding it. And it applies for any instrument, not just the one specified by the tab...

Although if one already knows the rhythm of a song, tabs are a faster way of learning, but not a complete one...
Sorry i cant take you seriously with blink 182 in your name and a sum41 avatar.
both of whom i very much doubt read sheet music.
shut up.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
for guitar i use tabs....
but for piano,trumpet i use sheet music

soo i know both i guess...
Quote by gonzaw
Both...

Tabs only show notes, and fretboard position (or procedure for any other instrument)..

Sheet music shows notes, key signature (key basicly), rhythm, and other information regarding it. And it applies for any instrument, not just the one specified by the tab...

Although if one already knows the rhythm of a song, tabs are a faster way of learning, but not a complete one...

Have you looked at the tabs in magazines now? They indicate rhythm and etc. now as well.
I played piano for many years before I started guitar so I read notes.
I did however use Power Tabs, which shows tabs on the bottom and notes on the top. This helped me a lot with learning where each fret/string combo is on the staff.
If I'm wanting to play a song very quickly I'll play with tab, but I do find note reading more enjoyable since you can see the notes going up and down and can picture the music a lot easier before you play it.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
So when using tabs, you play fake music?
How does that work?

I can play both but why does it matter? All it makes you is more well-rounded overall. Elitist much?

There's no wrong way to play guitar.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
I think t.s is trolling...... or hes too stupid to think of a comeback....
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
I can read music.

Slooooowwwwwllllllyyyy
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
It's like having more than one way to play a song.
There are so many different ways to play songs like Stairway to Heaven.
If it sounds like Stairway to Heaven it's Stairway to Heaven, simple as that. Yet I know of people who argue what fingers were used to fret each note in the original. It doesn't matter, it makes it sound basically the same.

What I'm trying to get at is that there is no wrong way to play guitar. One is not better than the other.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by Free to Guitar
I can read music.

Slooooowwwwwllllllyyyy

Same here. I can read both, but tabs are faster for me, therefore, I usually use them, which in no way implies that I am not playing 'real' music. Music learned from a tab is just as authentic as music learned from sheet music.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by Flying Couch
Have you looked at the tabs in magazines now? They indicate rhythm and etc. now as well.

Well, I am talking about ASCII ones

I think Guitar Pro would have the best tabs, since the compasses are marked, tempo changes are marked, intensity changes too, the duration of notes are too (distance from notes).
AND it has sheet music above it...

I never read a guitar magazine though, nor a music one (may get one though, but I generally am not attracted to magazines)...

I think TS is implying that when one only reads tabs, they are not reading all the properties of music or sound, but rather limited ones, thus not being "real music".
Although it is subjective though, since sheet music misses the timbre of sound, most times it misses the intensity, and is only convention, etc...

Quote by kingofdudes161
It's like having more than one way to play a song.
There are so many different ways to play songs like Stairway to Heaven.
If it sounds like Stairway to Heaven it's Stairway to Heaven, simple as that. Yet I know of people who argue what fingers were used to fret each note in the original. It doesn't matter, it makes it sound basically the same.

What I'm trying to get at is that there is no wrong way to play guitar. One is not better than the other.

Technically, the sound is not the same.
Each string has a different density, and thickness (and material at times), so the timbre of the sound (and overtone frecuencies I think) changes....
Last edited by gonzaw at Jun 19, 2008,