Ok. i know UG gets a lot of which amp threads, but ill make this one short and sweet.

I have persuaded my parents to pay for half of the next amp i buy.

i am considering buying the Marshall JCM 800 2203/2204 or the Mesa Dual Rectifier. I don't mind rolling the volume knob on my guitar down for clean tones with the Marshall. I am probably going to get the amp (whichever one) off of ebay for less money.

I mainly play hard rock and classic rock (read - Hendrix, led zeppelin, etc.), some blues, and metal.

I am really looking for ass-kicking distortion without the use of a pedal, so please help me out. (if there is a better amp suited for my needs please tell me).

thanks for your help.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
If you're going for relatively large wattage a Peavey Classic 50 would be great for you methinks.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
i haven't really played through many peaveys. does it have a lot of gain?
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Considering that the artists you listed used some sort of Marshall JCM (Did Hendrix ever use a Plexi?) I'd go with that. It's generally a great amp for rock, and nails a thrashy tone. Mesa Recs are a bit too smooth for that sound in my opinion, but they can do just about anything.

Oh yeah, and consider where you're gonna be using this amp. The two you listed aren't exactly suited for your bedroom.
Quote by Eminored
Considering that the artists you listed used some sort of Marshall JCM (Did Hendrix ever use a Plexi?) I'd go with that. It's generally a great amp for rock, and nails a thrashy tone. Mesa Recs are a bit too smooth for that sound in my opinion, but they can do just about anything.

I was originally just going to get the marshall cuz i played through one at my friends house (his dad has a kickass 2203 from the late 70s).

but my only concern is that i don t know if i can get a relatively nicer JCM off of ebay.

(re to your edit) and yea it would be in the garage since its sorta sound-proofed. that or i'd save up for an attenuator.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
well i loved the vintage sound of the marshall, it sounded like my dream amp ahahaha.

if i am buying a JCM 800, i would get a vintage one (hopefull) off ebay, or near my area if i can find one on like craigslist or something.

also, does anyone know the differences between the JCM 800 2203 and 2204?
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Gonna have to suggest you either ask that guy's dad, play through his amp, and then find one that that's of the other model and play through it.

Stuff that's "vintage" or from a particular era-- 1959 Gibson LP-- tend to be a bit pricey, so I'd suggest not trying to spend cash on that unless you're that tone-crazy, or you think your momma really loves you that much.
Quote by Eminored
Gonna have to suggest you either ask that guy's dad, play through his amp, and then find one that that's of the other model and play through it.

Stuff that's "vintage" or from a particular era-- 1959 Gibson LP-- tend to be a bit pricey, so I'd suggest not trying to spend cash on that unless you're that tone-crazy, or you think your momma really loves you that much.

argh thats why i came here im too lazy to find a 2204 and play through it. thats what UG is here for...

and im not looking for like Marshall JCM 2203/2204 made on the 5th of November, 1972, at 6:19 PM Eastern Time. Im just looking for one thats not a reissue or remake.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Honestly I don't think you'd notice, and I don't think you'd care. It's all about personal preference and if you don't want to try it out yourself, then you can't really develop a preference. I suggest you look on eBay for all the ones that say "Original", unless you're living in Whitefish, you probably should be saving that cash for college fund, dude.
alright, i mean im not looking to spend over 1000 for this head, so ebay really helps. ive been looking recently and there have been a lot of JCM 800s for around $900 (so only like $450 for me) and that would be perfect for me, even if it is a reissue. i just want the reissue and original to sound really similar so it doesnt bother me if i get a reissue instead of an original.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Hirschberger
i haven't really played through many peaveys. does it have a lot of gain?

Quite a bit, definitely enough for classic rock and blues, it won't do metal unless it's cranked, and even then it can only do classic metal, but with an OD or Distortion pedal you could probably get Pantera or Children of Bodom tones from the amp if you wanted.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by thankyougermany
Quite a bit, definitely enough for classic rock and blues, it won't do metal unless it's cranked, and even then it can only do classic metal, but with an OD or Distortion pedal you could probably get Pantera or Children of Bodom tones from the amp if you wanted.

the thing is i dont want to crank it too high to get metal tones i wanna be able to turn a couple of knobs and get it if you know what i mean
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by Hirschberger
Ok. i know UG gets a lot of which amp threads, but ill make this one short and sweet.

I have persuaded my parents to pay for half of the next amp i buy.

i am considering buying the Marshall JCM 800 2203/2204 or the Mesa Dual Rectifier. I don't mind rolling the volume knob on my guitar down for clean tones with the Marshall. I am probably going to get the amp (whichever one) off of ebay for less money.

I mainly play hard rock and classic rock (read - Hendrix, led zeppelin, etc.), some blues, and metal.

I am really looking for ass-kicking distortion without the use of a pedal, so please help me out. (if there is a better amp suited for my needs please tell me).

thanks for your help.

It depends on what you play more of. If you playmore classic rock than go for the marshall, if you play more metal, than either get a JCM 900 or a rectifier. It depends on what kind of metal you're playing, and how much.

IM FREEE!!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
It depends on what you play more of. If you playmore classic rock than go for the marshall, if you play more metal, than either get a JCM 900 or a rectifier. It depends on what kind of metal you're playing, and how much.

i mean honestly at the moment, the only metal im playing as of now is metallica as i just started getting into metal, and i dont see myself playing a lot of it with my band ever.

so lets just say 90% of the time i play Classic Rock, Rock, and Blues.

so therefore would the marshall be better for me?
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yeah, Metallica used JCM800s with ODs I think so you can get an early tone of theirs with one. Still, take a look at F-50s at least.

k so ill try out both thanks
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- A shitty MIM strat
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby