When I slap without a compressor it generally sounds horrible. Is this due to bad technique or bad equipment or does slapping just sound bad without a compressor?
i''d say it's either technique or EQ is the problem i can sound fine slapping without a compressor in fact i hardly ever use a compressor
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
i slap and pop but whats a compressor?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
i slap and pop but whats a compressor?

Kills/Lessens the dynamics of your playing, basically making the loud notes quiter, or moreso in-line with all the other notes.

Just a question to all you folks out there, does a compressor also bring up the quiet notes?
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Nikki197666
Kills/Lessens the dynamics of your playing, basically making the loud notes quiter, or moreso in-line with all the other notes.

Just a question to all you folks out there, does a compressor also bring up the quiet notes?

Yes. A compressor raises quiet notes, and a limiter lowers loud notes.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
so say i bought a compressor would i just plug it in and it would work or would i have to mess around it with it to do something
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by gm jack
Yes. A compressor raises quiet notes, and a limiter lowers loud notes.

That's wrong actually.

A compressor essentially 'squeezes' the signal when it breaks a certain volume threshold to make it quieter, more expensive ones have an AR envelope to determine how quick and long to kick in for and release the compression.

A limiter just prevents clipping, and can cause alot of distortion.

If you want to keep the the quieter notes louder, you'll have to play them harder. Or you could look for a realtime normalizer.
Quote by sonsie
so say i bought a compressor would i just plug it in and it would work or would i have to mess around it with it to do something

You have to set Attack, Release, Compression Ratio, Threshold and Output level for the desired effect.
Ive never had to use a compressor, u could get an awsome slap tone if you EQ it right. It shouldnt sound TOO different when you use a compressor. just fiddle around with the EQ.
A limiter just prevents clipping, and can cause alot of distortion.

A limiter is just a compressor with a high ratio, so it is still a form of compression.

If your compressor has an adjustable input level and threshold controls, you can drive the signal hard, and set the threshold where it causes the illusion that it is making softer notes louder, although it is still just reducing transient levels.
I slap without compression. what is the point of slapping without the jumpiness?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom