hello everyone.

i have read and heard from many places that putting lower gain preamp tubes (like a 12at7 or 12au7) in the V2 and V3 positions can improve the hot rods tone. This supposedly smooths out the distortion and makes the amp sound more "vintage."

does anyone have any experience with this on the hot rod or any other amp? Will it/did it work? Will it in any way harm my amp?

As long as im assured that it wont damage my amp, im will probably at least try it. any help is greatly appreciated. thank you.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
bump
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
It won't hurt anything. You can even swap preamp tubes while the amp is in standby. I would try a 12AT7 first, the 12AU7 didn't work so well to my ears. Neither of them is going to completely cure the problem, but it's worth a shot.
ok cool. i didnt figure it would completely fix anything, but ive got it almost perfect right now when i use a tube screamer over the drive channel, with the drive nearly as low as it goes.
i would think it would also lower the overall volume would it not? since the power amp would be get less gain. thiks isnt a problem at all though, and probably isnt too pronounced.
have you done this before then?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Well, the gain can't get too much worse. JK. But if you've heard that, give it a shot. If it sounds worse, switch back. Tubes aren't THAT expensive
Quote by mcrfobtai
Well, the gain can't get too much worse. JK. But if you've heard that, give it a shot. If it sounds worse, switch back. Tubes aren't THAT expensive

yeah your right, it cant really get worse hha.
but truth be told, the drive channel gets bashed a little bit too much. if you keep the drive in its optimum range, which is about 2-6, and have the amp up fairly loud, it actually sounds nice. Not amazing though. It was good enough for my bands album, and im happy with how it turned out. After all, its even on iTunes haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.