I am an intermediate guitar player, and I am looking for a new guitar and amp.

I currently have a Fender Squire Strat :x and a Fender Frontman 15G amp. Both are perfect guitar and amp for a beginer player, but as I have learned progressivaly I am in need of new equipment.

I need some information about what would be a good electric guitar and amp for me. a gibson? Fender? Ibanez? Epiphone? Dean? Etc.

What about amps?

What kind of guitar should I look for? And what qualities? What's the difference between a solid body, semi-hollow and hollow?

As for pedals what's a good distortion pedal thats not heavy, but it's just standard and gives a nice sound? What would be a good pedal?

Music Types-

Light Rock
Alternative

Price Range
$500-$1000 USD for Guitar

Any information would be great.

alex
Last edited by Alex193476 at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by Alex193476

I need some information about what would be a good electric guitar and amp for me. a gibson? Fender? Ibanez? Epiphone? Dean? Etc.

What do you like to play? Any specific things you like such as tones?

MXR distortion is a nice pedal
Price range about 500-1000 usd.

Sound im looking for is anything from completly clean, to a nice type of distortion. I don't want a death heavy metal sound, lol.
Be nice if you told us what you play and what bands you like and your price range.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
hmmm...

Guitar:
(I hate to say this)
Fender strat (Standard)

Amp:
Fender blues JR.

Dist/od Pedal:
Bad Monkey (OD)
Keeley modded DS-1

might be wrong on a few notes though, but might be what you are looking for
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
^ he said he DOESNT play metal. =]
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
If you can't really decide on a guitar or don't know what you should start to look for, go spend a couple hours in a guitar store trying out everything you can get your hands on. And take note of what you liked/disliked in terms of features, shapes, and hardware. Then come back and let us know. As the situation stands, we could recommend every guitar under the sun and still not know what features we should base our recommendations on.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by Kai07
^ he said he DOESNT play metal. =]

Actually he did, he just said he doesn't want heavy death metal sound.

Probably stuff like sabbath or metallica. Thats not heavy death metal.
Quote by mogar
If you can't really decide on a guitar or don't know what you should start to look for, go spend a couple hours in a guitar store trying out everything you can get your hands on. And take note of what you liked/disliked in terms of features, shapes, and hardware. Then come back and let us know. As the situation stands, we could recommend every guitar under the sun and still not know what features we should base our recommendations on.

I planned on doing that as well :P

I just wanted to know what brand would be a good type, and why etc.
Quote by Copilot911
Actually he did, he just said he doesn't want heavy death metal sound.

Probably stuff like sabbath or metallica. Thats not heavy death metal.

Could be to him, he said he wants nice cleans with a nice distortion. Not specifically a really heavy, chunky distortion. He said he plays light rock and alternative, probably meaning he wont be playing too much metal.

You dont have to speak for him, and him getting a roland cube will do him no good really.

I agree on the Strat and Blues Jr. combo. Throw a Bad Monkey in front of it for any distortion you need and you'll have just the sound you're looking for.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
I would suggest a telecaster, They have every pickup combination there is for a guitar, if u want a good rock guitar most mid level esp guitars come with seymour duncan jb and 59 humbucker combination and that is just a really versatile and durable pickup combo that will give any sound u desire. For amps i wourld suggest a fender hot rod devile or a vox ac 15 or ac 30. Those are great tube amps in ur price range. They are not metal amps. They give you a good sound. If you decide u want more distortion get an ibanez tube screamer for overdrive. Another good amp that just came out is the line 6 tube amp with bogner circuitry. The amps have any sound you think of, but they can get extremely confusing. If your looking for a hollowbody guitar. I would suggest the epiphone dot. They are solid guitars that will not destroy your wallet. The Gretch electromatic series are also good hollow bodie guitars. HB give you a big full acoustic sound compared to solid bodies, they do tend to feed back alot more though. I would suggest finding out what the players in your favorite bands use and go from there