any good tips for this piece of technicality ?

and ive noticed how are so many guitarists learning this so fast...............i know this is not to be taken lightly (who wants to sound like herman li,)

oh and megadeth, metallica, and (insert your idols of choice) they never sweep pick, and yet it sounds like they do, yet most bands like trivium, as i lay dying, the autumn offering all use it like its nothing ...............just stating an observation just so u know
practice, just lots of practice
do it slow then work your speed up
Stranger Danger ! What? Huh? Do i Know you? I Don't Talk To Strangers.
not a basic technique, takes a lot of practice.
kirk has been known to sweep. its just a difference of style, some people dont like it some do.
but ya practice really slow and in time, with metrenome if possible.
start SLOW, paying careful attention to the following

1) muting the strings NOOT being played
2) The direction of the picking
3) The left hand motions (ie finger rolls, HO, PO, etc.

Then gradually change the tempo, and work with more than one pattern.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
there are a bunch of resorces on ug. there is one video that mark seal did that is prob. the best i have seen. just take the tab of some sweeps that sound good to you and slow it down. once you get the basics down, you can progress fast.
kirk sweeps ?

and to clarify, sweep picking is what makes playing a guitar sound like you're hitting (insert impossibly high number here) notes per second ?

i just thought i was REALLY fast hammer ons

so ..............could anyone suggest to me a simple pattern for this ?
basic? Haha

And there IS sweep picking in megadeth a la marty friedman,
and their new guitarist sweeps with both hands.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ645ztl0
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
As I Lay Dying have sweeping?
It's very tricky to get the coordination but once you've got that down it's a lot easier to learn different arpeggios. As usual start slow with a metronome, play cleanly and post this in the Advanced Techniques forum
ohai little sig.
Quote by guitargod21136
basic? Haha

And there IS sweep picking in megadeth a la marty friedman,
and their new guitarist sweeps with both hands.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ645ztl0

That's not sweeping. That's tapping.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Muting strings you're not playing? How? Que?
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
I'm guessing he means to not make them all sound at once, so that only 1 sounds at a time. Otherwise it would sound like some weird chord.
To be able to get any practical use out of sweep picking you need a fair bit of theory knowledge under your belt as it's all arpeggios built from scales. Without theory you've got no chance of incorporating it into your playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok im giving in

since its apparent that i NEED theory and without it, my abilty as a guitarist will suffer greatly

do all the lessons on this site about chords, scales, modes, and all that count as theory ?

is there a book, or can i learn it from the internet, do i take a music class ?

im just covering all the bases here ...
Just learning the notes on the fretboard counts as theory. You don't need to lock yourself away and learn everything there is to know, just make sure that as you progress you make the effort to understand what's going on. For example, you know chords already, so spend a bit of time learning how the chords are constructed from the intervals of the major scale. That in turn will free you up and allow you to construct chords on the fly as opposed to having to remember every shape in isolation.

Likewise when it comes to scales, learn the notes a scale contains and the pattern of intervals it follows - that will allow you to make sense of those scale diagrams and in practical terms help you make the best use of them in your playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com