There was an article about him but everyone wanted to hear what random irrelevant people thought of the name of Metallica's new album.
The two-step in the hall.
Dude

you wanna learn about Eddie?

He's my inspiration

Stuff's all over the place about him
wtf? happened to the rest of van halen
its not just eddie you know

anywas eddie>most guitarists
There was an article about him but everyone wanted to hear what random irrelevant people thought of the name of Metallica's new album.

Not to insult any Metallica fans but I think that they're over-rated.
Quote by Def_Leppard_Man
Not to insult any Metallica fans but I think that they're over-rated.

You're entitled to your opinion, which is while I'll share mine: I think that Eddie Van Halen is overrated.

I do enjoy listening to Van Halen, yes, but I personally believe that Eddie is lifted onto a pedestal higher than he deserves to be. I think he's quite good as a rhythm guitarist, but his solos are rather repetitive and unorganized. My favorite Van Halen song is Black and Blue, but when Eddie solos in that song there's a temporary moment of ruin. Not every solo that Eddie has performed has been poor, but overall that is the trend I find (and of course, it's completely subjective as to what a good solo is, but that's my opinion).

I've always found that the rhythm section of the band doesn't get talked about often. Basically, I see Alex and Michael's work (I haven't listened to the group with Mark Stone or Wolfgang Van Halen on bass before) as strong, but in no way awe-inspiring. To me, they simply made the songs whole. There is nothing wrong with this, as it seems as though this band was one designed for the promotion of it's lead guitarist and lead vocalist.

And upon the subject of vocalists, I know many Van Halen fanatics are purists who don't listen to, basically, anything apart from David Lee Roth era Van Halen. I enjoy the band, but I wouldn't call myself a die-hard fan. I've listened and enjoyed music from the band with David, Sammy Hagar, and Gary Cherone as vocalists (I've never listened to them with Mitch Malloy). I don't consider any of these men supreme vocalists. They could sing, but there was no emphasis on technical prowess, but rather on enjoyment and (let's face it) sexual appeal.

To sum it all up: I am a casual Van Halen listener who enjoys their music.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
You're entitled to your opinion, which is while I'll share mine: I think that Eddie Van Halen is overrated.

I do enjoy listening to Van Halen, yes, but I personally believe that Eddie is lifted onto a pedestal higher than he deserves to be. I think he's quite good as a rhythm guitarist, but his solos are rather repetitive and unorganized. My favorite Van Halen song is Black and Blue, but when Eddie solos in that song there's a temporary moment of ruin. Not every solo that Eddie has performed has been poor, but overall that is the trend I find (and of course, it's completely subjective as to what a good solo is, but that's my opinion).

Quote by TheHeartbreaker

I've always found that the rhythm section of the band doesn't get talked about often. Basically, I see Alex and Michael's work (I haven't listened to the group with Mark Stone or Wolfgang Van Halen on bass before) as strong, but in no way awe-inspiring. To me, they simply made the songs whole. There is nothing wrong with this, as it seems as though this band was one designed for the promotion of it's lead guitarist and lead vocalist.

And upon the subject of vocalists, I know many Van Halen fanatics are purists who don't listen to, basically, anything apart from David Lee Roth era Van Halen. I enjoy the band, but I wouldn't call myself a die-hard fan. I've listened and enjoyed music from the band with David, Sammy Hagar, and Gary Cherone as vocalists (I've never listened to them with Mitch Malloy). I don't consider any of these men supreme vocalists. They could sing, but there was no emphasis on technical prowess, but rather on enjoyment and (let's face it) sexual appeal.

+1
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
sorry but sammy hagar sucks!

David Lee Roth is soooo much better!

When Sammy joined all of Van Halens songs got depressing........

Plus DLR is hot. lol
"I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.."

RIP Jimmy Sullivan<3
I agree, Van Halen with Sammy Hagar had some good songs(and I am greatly stressing some) like 5150. He needs to hear someone else sing the songs so that he can hear how bad he really sounds.

Plus DLR is hot. lol

Sorry can't agree with ya on that
Quote by Def_Leppard_Man
I agree, Van Halen with Sammy Hagar had some good songs(and I am greatly stressing some) like 5150. He needs to hear someone else sing the songs so that he can hear how bad he really sounds.

Sorry can't agree with ya on that

lol
"I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.."

RIP Jimmy Sullivan<3
This is kinda off subject but what are you guys favorite Van Halen Albums?

Mines either 1984 or 5150... I dunno it must just be the numbers that get me.
Yea Thats 1984, the lsat David Lee Roth Album...

Does anybody know why he goes by David "Lee" Roth instead of just David Roth?
Quote by Def_Leppard_Man
Does anybody know why he goes by David "Lee" Roth instead of just David Roth?

Its more showbiz to use Davie Lee Roth rather than David Roth. David Roth sounds like an accountant. David Lee Roth sounds like it has some personality to it. You don't need me to tell you that Dave lives and breaths the showbiz lifestyle and makes every effort to be the epitomy of showbiz.

showbiz count: 3

Quote by TheHeartbreaker
(I haven't listened to the group with Mark Stone or Wolfgang Van Halen on bass before)

I don't think there are any bootlegs around from when Mark Stone was in the band. The earliest boots I know of all are recorded from the point after Mike Anthony had been in the band for a while. Wolfgang's not bad, much better bass player than Mike Anthony. Sometimes I think Mike was kept in the band just for his personality. (This can be backed up by Eddie's comments that he wanted Mike out of the band long before the idea of Wolfgang playing bass came up.)

Quote by TheHeartbreaker
(I've never listened to them with Mitch Malloy)

And you probably never will. The very small amount of material with Mitch Malloy are rehearsals at Eddie's 5150 studio. Said material is locked away in the VH Vault.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Last edited by Cathedral at Jun 30, 2008,
Quote by Def_Leppard_Man
This is kinda off subject but what are you guys favorite Van Halen Albums?

Mines either 1984 or 5150... I dunno it must just be the numbers that get me.

yeah same here
my favoritte albums are 1984,Van Halen I,and 5150

Quote by defleppettychik
sorry but sammy hagar sucks!

really?
am i the only one that actually thought Hagar made some good songs
and is a pretty good singer....

and kinda off topic
but what do you all think of their 1998 album Van Halen III?
the one with Gary Cherone on lead vocals

IMO i thought it was pretty good
i liked the piano one where Eddie sang the vocals
Quote by //ANDREW\\
yeah same here
my favoritte albums are 1984,Van Halen I,and 5150

really?
am i the only one that actually thought Hagar made some good songs
and is a pretty good singer....

and kinda off topic
but what do you all think of their 1998 album Van Halen III?
the one with Gary Cherone on lead vocals

IMO i thought it was pretty good
i liked the piano one where Eddie sang the vocals

that is true, my favorite vh songs are w/ sammy but i just dont like his voice

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world
domination.
I remember the original Van Halen thread. Now those were good times.

Sammy Hager sucks, DLR rules. You know the drill.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
David kicks ass, Sammy was just ok. What really matters is Shredward and no he´s not overrated as a guitarist, he´s one of the greatest ever, fast and furious, great sound, instantly recognizable, innovative on every single album, one of the most influential guitar players on the planet.