Page 1 of 2
It's kind of sad. I love to sing but I don't really like female lead singers. I do not know of any really good female vocalists in rock.

I listen to Iron Maiden, Dio, Rush, Black Sabbath and other bands so I'm not into Hannah Montana, Avril Lavign or any of those bands. I like Amy Lee's Voice (Evanessance) but she sings a different style than me.

I try to sing more in the style of Dio or Bruce Dickinson (except I have a girl voice...grrr...) Sometimes... my voice comes out really creepy! That's fun, but that's on occassion!

Just Curious... what effects are out there to make my voice a little different? I don't want it deeper or anything, I just think it would be fun to try something different you know change it up a bit!
X
Jefferson Airplane
Heart

some right there.

oh, i forgot Patti Smith and Joni Mitchell (you probably won't like Joni judging by the music you like though).
Last edited by DayTripper1967 at Jun 19, 2008,
What?!?! There are female guitarists?!?!
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by black-sabbath
What?!?! There are female guitarists?!?!

They're about as good as female drivers.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by guitar_maiden
It's true and rare. The only band I can think of now is Kittie. The whole band is female!

The Donas is also a whole female band, personnaly I think girls should be more present in rock/metal scene.
uhh Nancy Wilson is a girl
and she plays guitar....

theres also Aretha Franklin for singining
Quote by guitar_maiden
yes all female guitarist are great! hahaha

two things

1, you caught that, lol, i never said that female drivers/guitarists were bad.

2, it will be a VERY sad day when Avril Lagviwhoalfewhadl;haw; however you spell it is a great guitarist.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by cashewchaching
two things

1, you caught that, lol, i never said that female drivers/guitarists were bad.

2, it will be a VERY sad day when Avril Lagviwhoalfewhadl;haw; however you spell it is a great guitarist.

I love you! I wish females would get out and play more! I hate that pop crap... It makes me angry!
Bonny Raitt is an incredible guitar. Carol King is one of my favourite musicians. She's a great singer, songwriter and pianist. If you consider Motown to be part of classic rock, (we do here) there are plenty of great female singers. Tammi Terrell and Fontella Bass are great examples.

As people have mentioned already: Joni Mitchell is a great guitarist, but not so great singer; Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, both guitarists and singers; Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane is a great singer.

I'm disappointed in everyone that has posted thus far for not mentioning Janis.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Joan Baez?

Though she's definitely more folk than rock.

I was talking to my neighbor about this last night actually and he highly recommended X but I've never heard them.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by ufossuck
Bonny Raitt is an incredible guitar. Carol King is one of my favourite musicians. She's a great singer, songwriter and pianist. If you consider Motown to be part of classic rock, (we do here) there are plenty of great female singers. Tammi Terrell and Fontella Bass are great examples.

As people have mentioned already: Joni Mitchell is a great guitarist, but not so great singer; Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, both guitarists and singers; Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane is a great singer.

I'm disappointed in everyone that has posted thus far for not mentioning Janis.

I Like her voice! Very unique!
meaning Janis Joplin... Ann and Nancy are great too!
Last edited by guitar_maiden at Jun 20, 2008,
Quote by Thefallofman
Joan Baez?

Though she's definitely more folk than rock.

I was talking to my neighbor about this last night actually and he highly recommended X but I've never heard them.

I've never heard X either...I'll have to search them sometime!
half of dream theater r married 2 members of an all female band...ive never heard them b4, i just heard about it...so i dunno if that helps in the slightest
Quote by led_zepaholic
half of dream theater r married 2 members of an all female band...ive never heard them b4, i just heard about it...so i dunno if that helps in the slightest

Hmmm... I've never heard this before. I'll have to look into this. Wow, I never thought I'd be looking into listening to female bands, but I guess it's good because it will help me learn to sing a little better.
X- Because I Do
X- Under the Big Black Sun
X- Los Angeles
X- Soul Kitchen (with interview from Ray Manzarek!)

there's some songs by X since you haven't heard them before. the video for the first song Because I Do doesn't start up until 50 seconds into it, so just fast forward it till it starts.

by the way, i find Exene (the girl singer) to be so hot in that last video
Last edited by DayTripper1967 at Jun 20, 2008,
Heart ftw.
Quote by highvoltage66
so whats this pink floyd guy's middle name anyway?
Quote by highvoltage66
Quote by Sly Taco
Robert Plant
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Hey, I didn't say it wasn't funny now.
Quote by highvoltage66
Anybody mention Joan Jett?
What other gal could go out on stage with the double cut LP, the leather pants, and maybe a football jersey and look that cool?
I think she has some pretty catchy tunes as well!
"Whoa! That didn't sound right. This thing must be out of tune." - ME

"As the maples scream oppression! And the oaks just shake their heads." - N. Peart
Quote by cameraeye2112
Anybody mention Joan Jett?
What other gal could go out on stage with the double cut LP, the leather pants, and maybe a football jersey and look that cool?
I think she has some pretty catchy tunes as well!

Nice user name!
Quote by guitar_maiden
So you like them

That's a yes
Quote by highvoltage66
Definatly Jefferson Airplane and Heart. those are the best I could think of.

Or that singer from the pretenders is alright.
oh and also Brody Dalle from The Distillers
****ing sick on guitar and vocals
hi getar maiden!!!! let's see.......janis joplin, grace slick(jefferson airplane), joan beaz(spelling), blondie(debbi harry), the go-go's(belinda carlise), joan jett, pat benatar, lita ford(did duet with ozzy), stevie nicks, chrissy hines(the pretenders), sandy denny(battle of evermore..led zep), kate smith(god bless america), the chics from heart, wendy o'williams(punker), judy garland(the wizard of oz)........
Diana Ross and the Supremes
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Nanncy Wilson is flat out the greatest female guitarist to ever live!! And Anne Heart previouisly Anne Wilson is an amazing vocalist. Also Janis Joplin who is one of the greatest female singers.
Quote by ufossuck
Diana Ross and the Supremes

You cant diss page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jimmy Page is god in disguise!!
Page 1 of 2