Are standard les paul stopbars supposed to be able to go down all the way to the body? Cuz the one on my Epi LP custom doesn't and it irritates me cuz i topwrap my Les
Paul..
Could i buy another stopbar that is able to go all the way down?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Last edited by hell_monkey at Jun 19, 2008,
Yeah, watever you're sayin, it don't sound right. Somethin's wrong with your idea (or your guitar, not sure which). There should be space there, man.
This is what i'm trying to achieve

As you can see, the stopbar is cranked all the way down to touch the body. My problem is that my stopbar won't go all the way down
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
None of my stopbar guitars crank all the way down to touch. There's a gap.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
no, wrap arounds don't have the Tune-O-Matic bridges
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by Arism
isn't that a wrap around tailpiece, not a stop bar?

It's still a tailpiece, but he's got the strings wrapped around it for some odd reason.
Its called top wrapping! I think Jimmy Page and Zakk Wylde do it or used to do it. Its supposed to increase sustain and give you more control by makingthe strings more bendable.
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
The way the studs are made for the stop piece it wont go all the way down to contact the body. There will be a small gap. If the stop piece did touch it would screw up the paint. The top wrap puts less pressure on the saddles and cuts down on string breakage. It does make bending a bit easier. Not sure about the sustain never did a head to head test thing to know for sure.
tackleberry, on the sustain, i believe the theory is that by lowering the studs the tailiece isn't sitting at the end of a pole and will oscilalte less (which would reduce the amount of string energy lost to the hardware). In practice, I would think it wouldn't be real noticeable unless you got loosely matched threads on the tailpiece studs. Paradoxically, you want that downward pressure on the saddles to better define the end of the speaking length of the string which will give you cleaner tone and better sustain as the string vibrations are kept more between the nut and saddles instead of being lost in the non usable area behind the saddles. thinking logically, i woudl think that having too little tension on the strings is going to make intonation a royal pain as well.
Dont have any problems with my guitar doing the top wrap. It stays in tune during playing and no problems with intonation. And has stopped breaking strings.
Quote by hell_monkey

Damn, that's some low ass action!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Quote by CutlassSupreme
Damn, that's some low ass action!

How can even determine action from this picture?
Quote by TheProducer
How can even determine action from this picture?

The bridge looks like it's lowered about as far as it can go.
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
Quote by CutlassSupreme
The bridge looks like it's lowered about as far as it can go.

Oh okay, I was trying to see the distance of the strings from the fretboard and was like wtf, this guy has a crazy eye.
Quote by TheProducer
Oh okay, I was trying to see the distance of the strings from the fretboard and was like wtf, this guy has a crazy eye.

No, my eyesight isn't that good.
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
The bridge height doesnt mean how good the action is. The neck angle varies from guitar to guitar. Some have an adjuster screw inside the neck pocket where the neck angle can be changed very easy.
Quote by Tackleberry
The bridge height doesnt mean how good the action is. The neck angle varies from guitar to guitar. Some have an adjuster screw inside the neck pocket where the neck angle can be changed very easy.
No matter what the neck angle or curve is, or the nut height, having the bridge that low still means it's going to be stupidly low near the pickups and higher frets.

I don't get why people ever want action that low. It's not particularly easier to play on than medium or higher action, it muddies up your tone, and it reduces sustain. Just grow up, strengthen up your fingers, and get the strings at least several MM off the fretboard.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It doesn't do anything more for sustain.

Hell_monkey, why did you start another thread about this? That extra 3mm is NOT going to make a difference....

Haha my bad ...i guess i must have OCD, cuz i get REALLY obsessed with small things like this, and even the tiniest problems annoy me to no end.
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
i also wrap my strings over the top of the stopbar. i love it and will always do it.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte