hey i was just reading this
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080616/science/science_super_earths

i think its pretty exciting, perhaps maybe mankind will one day be able to reach these planets and maybe their inhabitants....It also got me thinking about the religions around the world are going to take it... i mean they've got to have something planed surely?

If i was some kind of religious leader, lets say christian since thats the one i know about most i'd say that when god talked about creating earth he actually meant that the world was the universe. Im not anti religious but it would be interesting how each other religions would explain the presence of aliens...

what do you guys reckon?
Quote by Gargantuan
I reckon I don't care

then gtfo cuz this **** is ****ing awesome
i reckon you be a witch! grab the torch and pitch-forks!!!!

but really, this has been floating around for a while. and I believe that god created the universe and refered to it as the world as even though everythings so far apart, they're able to interact with eachother.

my 2 cents
all these planets and pluto isnt one anymore.

what kinda sick bastard.....
Quote by fallenangel20

And thanks MotleyCrueSATD, that was pretty awesome.

Quote by hemi-san
the truth he speaks well, harken unto his word.
Quote by Superstrat101

but really, this has been floating around for a while. and I believe that god created the universe and refered to it as the world as even though everythings so far apart, they're able to interact with eachother.

my 2 cents

hmm.. very introspective.
Quote by Ichimaru
I've always wanted to meet a really hot readhead so that I could tell her name is Moses and I'm here to see the burning bush.
Quote by Gargantuan
I reckon I don't care

I reckon that post was a waste of bandwidth.

And this is very interesting, but I doubt these planets will be reached in any of our life times, unless Lord Xenu graces mankind with the power of light speed travel.
Must be a slow news day.

"This just in! There are more planets in the universe than we previously thought!"
Bah. How long till they find the Predator planet?

The religions will do what they always do. Call the aliens godless heathens while simultanously trying to convert and destroy them.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Yeah we've known about it for a while, its still cool. Many people think that we could go there if something happens to the earth... but unless we harness wormhole technology (not like paris hilton's vagina worm hole, like a rip in space time) its unlikely.
Quote by MotleyCrueSATD
all these planets and pluto isnt one anymore.

what kinda sick bastard.....

LOL! I agree. But I don't see how this will affect religion.
The fundamentalists will take it the same way they take evolution, make up thier own bull**** version and claim its true. Best to stop thinking about them all together, just gets me pissed off
Well God is suppose to create everything equally, right? Well then, as far as I'm concered, that'd mean other forms of life are just like me spirtually so the more planets we discover doesn't really change anything I believe. Except God has to deal with a lot more people than I thought.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by Xeus
maybe mankind will one day be able to reach these planets and maybe their inhabitants

Don't reckon on it happening anytime soon. The fastest manmade object is Helios, a probe that achieved some 241,350 kilometers per hour during an orbit of the sun. The star mentioned is 42 light years away. A lightyear is equal to 9,460,730,472,580.8 kilometers. If we could use a spaceship to travel as fast as the Helios, we could travel a lightyear in, oh, 4474 years. Which means that to get to those stars, it would only take... 187,000 years. Give or take a few hundred.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by Superstrat101

my 2 cents

i dunno, i suppose if God wanted, he could have made other worlds and not told us, but he told us that he created us as his loved ones, not some aliens. Just the idea of a bunch of other worlds seems a bit...mormon.

and yes TS, this idea has been around for quite some time.

And Ticket, God didn't say he created us equally, he said that he loves us equally. If we were all equal, how would we ever govern ourselves? No, God made leaders and followers, otherwise things would never work.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Last edited by cashewchaching at Jun 19, 2008,
I'm not a christian, but it' obvious that alien life has nothing to do with the bible. The bible only discusses stuff on this planet. If the christian god is real, why would he have things about aliens written in the bible? It makes no sense.
Quote by Spamwise
I'm not a christian, but it' obvious that alien life has nothing to do with the bible. The bible only discusses stuff on this planet. If the christian god is real, why would he have things about aliens written in the bible? It makes no sense.

Well, bible says God reigns over all, and that he created the heavens and the earth. So sure, he could have created aliens and not told us, i suppose, but i don't think he would have.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by cashewchaching
Well, bible says God reigns over all, and that he created the heavens and the earth. So sure, he could have created aliens and not told us, i suppose, but i don't think he would have.

"heavens" means space. Not the realm of "heaven", which isn't brought up until the new testament iirc.
They are much too hot to support life

Is TS retarded? They clearly say their can't be any life on those planets in the article yet he's talking about aliens.
Quote by bdfs05
u got me

Quote by alyxmelia
your a sick young lady tbh
Well finding intelligent life as advanced as us would prove to me one thing if they share any of our religions then I'd find the one they share to be true if they don't then I would come to the conclusion that religion isn't true. I mean why would we think ourselves so high and mighty that God would only save a fraction of our population.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
ok well i dont want to sound like a dick but im tired of all this talk about finding new planets. when they find life, or alien life forms they can broadcast it until my a-hole bleeds ink; but until then im not interested.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Really? You mean the 8 planets that we currently know about arent the only planets in the universe?

You are blowing my mind.
I'm pretty sure that LDS [Mormon] doctrine already holds that there are other civilizations other than ours

so yeah...
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING