I realize there are many brands of guitars out there...

Fender
Ibanez
Gibson
Gibson Custom
Epiphone
B.C Rich
Dean

Etc...

What's so different about each brand? What would be a good guitar for just your classic rock, and alternative music? What's so great about having a Gibson, over a Fender, or Ibanez? Etc. Am I paying for price? Or is one guitar good for playing rock, and another for playing just your classic oldies?

And for amps..

Just to name a few..

Fender
Gibson
Yamaha
Epiphone
Roland
Shure
Line 6
etc.

what's so great about these brands?

Any help would be greatly appreatiated.
Last edited by Alex193476 at Jun 19, 2008,
well, it goes under personal preference. some people prefer the way a les paul feels and sounds over a strat.
well i play on a B.c. rich through a line 6, everyone says they are terrible, but it sounds really good for me. B.C. Richs are more for metal, u cant get a good clean tone out of them, Most B.c. richs are used black metal and stuff like that. I personally hate black metal, but B.c. richs just in general have a very heavy tone
What ever brand amp or guitar you buy, it's all about you! There is a total cornucopia of instruments out there! I say try them all! I own a Fender, 2 Deans, 3 Ibanez, 1 Jackson, 1 B.C. Rich, 1 Titan bass and one Kingston (heavily modified!) guitars! There isn't one thing wrong with the brands you mentioned. Also, none of them are without their flaws! You have to just test and test and test until you find an axe or amp that suits you. I will say, stay away from these brand guitars:
Squire
Samick (though I have seen some gems)
Dillon
Rouge (NEVER BUY A ROUGE!)
Johnson

Live a little, try and try, buy what you like!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Thanks Jd. & Valo

Any other reasons? Say for gibson, epiphone, fender, and ibanez
It's just a name. But my advice is simple. Buy the guitar that feels and sounds best to you. ex: If you wanted an Epiphone Les Paul and I truely loved the feel and sound of it better than the more famous Fender Strat, then get the Les Paul.

for amps: DON'T GET AN MG!!! and find the one that sounds best, not the loudest
Brawl Anyone?: Click HERE!!!

Like Mario Kart WiFi? Need help finding friends? Click here
Quote by Jdfs1
well i play on a B.c. rich through a line 6, everyone says they are terrible, but it sounds really good for me. B.C. Richs are more for metal, u cant get a good clean tone out of them, Most B.c. richs are used black metal and stuff like that. I personally hate black metal, but B.c. richs just in general have a very heavy tone

more of a tinny sound
Quote by Jaymz_515
One of my friends was thrown into the sun by a teacher for speaking in the library.
Well, different companies make guitars differently, and they therefore sound and feel different.

for example, Fender's are famous for having single-coil pickups, and skinny shallow necks. Because of their pickups and their fast neck, they are more suited for Blues, and bluegrass, where they need the twang.

Gibson's on the other hand, usually have rounder larger necks, and humbucker pickups, as well as a more solid, punchier body. This means it's more suited for classic rock, becuase it can provide a heavier, chuggier rythym.

Ibanez's are usually built with very thin necks, huge cutaways, and elaborate tremolos, which is why you usually see super-fast shredder guys playing them
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Yeah, It's personal preference, as been said before.
If you are looking to buy one, my advice is to try everything in your price range and pick what feels right for you.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Custom (Alpine White)
Roland Microcube

Hoping to get a Strat or Tele next.
Quote by Jdfs1

BC Rich guitars can't get a good clean tone?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OiqGf3-LN4s

Lies and deceit.

Anyway, It's all personal preference, but most of UG apparently hates BC Rich for the crazy ass looks and the fact that all their low-end guitars are rubbish.

My Trace Warbeast, for example. It sounds terrible but I love it anyway. I'll get something that sounds decent when I'm playing somewhere other than holed up in my room by myself.
It all depends on wat feels good to you, man. And of course wat you can afford. There Ibanezes (Fenders, Gibsons, etc.) that cost $150 and others that cost $1,500. That goes for amps and guitars. It's all wat ya like.
Quote by Your_Dad
Well, different companies make guitars differently, and they therefore sound and feel different.

for example, Fender's are famous for having single-coil pickups, and skinny shallow necks. Because of their pickups and their fast neck, they are more suited for Blues, and bluegrass, where they need the twang.

Gibson's on the other hand, usually have rounder larger necks, and humbucker pickups, as well as a more solid, punchier body. This means it's more suited for classic rock, becuase it can provide a heavier, chuggier rythym.

Ibanez's are usually built with very thin necks, huge cutaways, and elaborate tremolos, which is why you usually see super-fast shredder guys playing them

That's the most perfect answer that helped so much ty!

Now I ned to know about amps >.<
Quote by Alex193476
Thanks Jd. & Valo

Any other reasons? Say for gibson, epiphone, fender, and ibanez

Gibsons are a bit pricey in my eyes but that is my opinion. Gibson's have fat necks, heavey weight and really fat tone but they are extremely good quality! They sound great on clean or distortion! Some crave that! It's not my cup of tea but I will say they are fine axes!

Epiphones are the same as Gibsons but sound a bit darker and aren't as durable but are well cheaper. Still, not my bag, but a respectable axe if you get a higher end model.

Fender.... a Fender is a Fender.. nothing sounds quite like a Fender (the same can be said for Gibson) A Fender is a bright sounding clean axe, a Fender is best left without distortion (not to say they don't sound good with it!) But an American Fender on clean makes angels cry in happiness! (Sorry I am biassed, this is all my opinion once again!) If you want metal, DON"T GET A FENDER! They are made for more expressive playing, listen to David Gilmore and you'll know what I mean!

Ibanez has become my home for guitars. I am a shredder and an experimenter, and Ibanez gives you mad options! The down side is actually also the upside... the necks.
I personally love the Ibnez Wizard II neck but it is not for everyone! It has no curve in the fret board, most guitars do. Some (like me) love it. Some cannot stand it!

So there's my views, take it or leave it!
It's all prefernce and what you like, but certain manufacturers tend to gear large portions of their product line toward a specific style of playing.

I'm a Gibson/Epiphone snob, myself.
Quote by Alex193476
That's the most perfect answer that helped so much ty!

Now I ned to know about amps >.<

The amp is equally important as the guitar! What are your style and aspirations?
Quote by ValoRhoads
The amp is equally important as the guitar! What are your style and aspirations?

Eh... well I really want a nice amp that will give me a clean sound, and would also have a nice distortion option as well. Not looking for heavy death metal distortion, just something as in "green days - holiday" song.
Quote by ValoRhoads
I will say, stay away from these brand guitars:
Squire
Dillon

Live a little, try and try, buy what you like!

You can find really good Squiers if you look around enough. From what I understand, their Classic Vibe series is supposed to be very good. Their earlier models are also of higher quality.
One of my main guitars is a Dillion PRS copy, and it is one of the best guitars I have ever owned. Honestly, people confuse it with a PRS. It takes a serious beating, the stock pickups are great, and the trem can be used without it going out of tune at all. I disagree with you on this as well.
Rather than stay away from those brands, he should try them out and see how they work for him. He could always find a gem in a stereotypically ugly field, or he could find that he requires a bit more.
Either way, he'll learn something.
"Take chances. Do not go through life wishing, instead go through life remembering. There are too many possibilities out there to let them just pass you by. Above all else, have FUN. You only live once, enjoy it while you can."
Quote by failsaferemedy
You can find really good Squiers if you look around enough. From what I understand, their Classic Vibe series is supposed to be very good. Their earlier models are also of higher quality.
One of my main guitars is a Dillion PRS copy, and it is one of the best guitars I have ever owned. Honestly, people confuse it with a PRS. It takes a serious beating, the stock pickups are great, and the trem can be used without it going out of tune at all. I disagree with you on this as well.
Rather than stay away from those brands, he should try them out and see how they work for him. He could always find a gem in a stereotypically ugly field, or he could find that he requires a bit more.
Either way, he'll learn something.

I do agree with you on some levels. I once owned a 2nd gen Squire stagemaster with an HSH configuration that I still kick myself at selling. The 1st gens were affinitey strats with floyds and better pickups. the second gens were cut a bit sharper than a strat, and the 3rd gens were those awful one color pieces of crap! The 2nd gens were nice though! If I find a Cobalt Blue second gen, I'd buy it again!

Dillons though... If you like the way yours sounds, good on ya! I was not a fan but the ones I have played were low end. I've not played a high end Dillon so that may have been presumptuous on my part and I apologize!
Quote by Alex193476
Eh... well I really want a nice amp that will give me a clean sound, and would also have a nice distortion option as well. Not looking for heavy death metal distortion, just something as in "green days - holiday" song.

What's your amp budget and what style do you play?
If I am posting twice, I apologize mods, I answered a reply and this question came up
Personally, I like BC Rich guitars. Have no hate for any of the other brands out there, but that's what feels right to me. You're going to have to play everything before you find what works for you.
I can also get nice clean tones from each and every one of my BC Rich guitars.
Quote by ValoRhoads

Dillons though... If you like the way yours sounds, good on ya! I was not a fan but the ones I have played were low end. I've not played a high end Dillon so that may have been presumptuous on my part and I apologize!

I like the tone it gives, and the fact that I can abuse it to all Hell. I've dropped it onstage before, swore, picked it up, played a chord, and discovered that it was still in tune.
Then again, just as you find gems in some "lower quality" brands, you can find a few "misses" in "higher quality" guitars.
Looking at the bright side, finding these hits and misses mean that you get to play around more and you learn a thing or two about certain brands you may not have known before!
"Take chances. Do not go through life wishing, instead go through life remembering. There are too many possibilities out there to let them just pass you by. Above all else, have FUN. You only live once, enjoy it while you can."
As for a budget, I don't want fancy like $1000 amp, maybe $250-$400?

I play classic rock, alternative, rock. Stuff for like Tom petty, Green Day, Then your clean version for like Nickelback.

at the moment I have a Fender Frontman 15G amp, and a DigiTech RP150
preference. it's also worth bearing in mind that cheaper examples of different brands might be made in the same factory.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?