ok i was wondering are there any good finger exercises to help my plucking go faster. i need something where i don't need the bass.

please help!!
|| E ---1---2---3--4-- ||
Work your way with that plucking it slowly from the beginning. Gradually increase speed and maybe move onto the other strings too.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
i feel that actually just practicing songs actually works best. just keep learning faster songs. also, jamming to a metronome also helps, just set it to a fast tempo.
maybe tapping your two fingers randomly,...? idk, i dont know how to help ya w/o the bass being involved somehow man. lol.
well... then again, i actually have this hand exerciser that you can use for either just fingers, or whole hand. i suppose i recommend one of those, but i still stand by what i said with just practicing faster songs.
ok thanks so far everyone. and viking is it something called "gripmaster" cuz i think i have one of those somewhere in my closet

anyways anyone else want to help a bassist in need
On a slightly related note, I currently rake with my plucking fingers. Is it worth it to spend the time to prevent myself from doing so? Will this benefit me in any way?
Don't get the gripmaster thing. I've heard stuff from cts to that repetitive strain thing. It's just a bad idea.
full metal- i'm not sure what your asking me =\

hippie- now that i think about it i could see it causing something in your hand *stops search for the demon machine*
I mean if I'm playing a scale as I ascend I alternate perfectly but descending I rake when switching strings. Is this harmful to my playing?
Quote by hippiebass
Don't get the gripmaster thing. I've heard stuff from cts to that repetitive strain thing. It's just a bad idea.

My husband's orthopedic surgeon said once he'd like to burn every last one of those. People tend to overuse them and yes, develop or acerbate CTS and RSI.

Find a small rubber ball and squeeze it about 10 times, stop and then repeat for another set. It will develop finger and hand strength with out stressing out your hand and tendons.
Quote by anarkee
Find a small rubber ball and squeeze it about 10 times, stop and then repeat for another set. It will develop finger and hand strength with out stressing out your hand and tendons.

thanks i will have to try this in the morning

Quote by FullMetalBass
I mean if I'm playing a scale as I ascend I alternate perfectly but descending I rake when switching strings. Is this harmful to my playing?

i guess not i do it still too and even Deliriumbassist says it's a good technique.
Opinions on raking are mixed. Some people say it's a-okay, some people say it's terrible and will only hold you back.

I find myself raking down the strings sometimes and it's never hampered me, but I admittedly don't play uber uber fast.

Honestly the best thing I ever did to improve my plucking hand speed was to turn my amp up, and lighten my touch on the strings a lot. That'll improve your speed, stamina, consistancy in volume, reduce fretbuzz and clicking, tuning stability, and you won't look like a tit when you half yank your strings out of their slots.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.