Hey
I have a Jay Turser 300.
One of the strings broke a couple months ago and I really dont feel like getting it fixed because it sounded terrible before the string broke.
I got it for $120.
Well I got what I paid for.
I don't know much about guitars to begin with so I need some help.
Do u think I should get it restrung and play with it until I get a new one or just hold out for a new one?
When I play it just sounds so bad and discourages me a lot.

Any advice would be great.

-Alex

PS- The new one would be a lot BETTER!
I would reccommend getting it fixed until you get a new one. See if you can fix it yourself for free :P

But on the other hand don't go spending to much money on repairs, because that money could have always went toward a nice, and better guitar.
Most of a guitar's sound comes from the amp.

Ask someone around here what a decent affordable amp would be as I have no knowledge of that, if it still sounds like ass afterwards, well.

Then the guitar might have something to do with it.
i play a crappy jay turser as well, the options are:
plays like acoustic with high action
and buzzes on the frets killing sustain
and feedback, thats the third thing it can do

my point is get a new guitar if you can afford it, but it hasnt killed anyone to play a POS while they are starting out
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Jay turser doesent make Amazing guitars but theyre guitars are made with quality in mind

dude i still play mine Over my Jackson

Edit:to mosh face

your JT apparently sucks

mine has better action than some high end ibanez's and it doesent buzz anywhere on the neck

consider Adjusting your truss rod
and your bridge
Dude, you need to get new strings periodicaly, and like someone else said if it isn't tuned get a tuner and tune it. playing a cheap guitar isn't bad, a cheap guitar can have it's problems to begin with but once it's been set up properly it becomes much better. But yeah, new strings....I usualy change mine before they break...
well i have a tuner
but i dont know if i want to spend all the money fixing it up when i could be getting a better guitar
know what im saying?
Quote by SlashLP
well i have a tuner
but i dont know if i want to spend all the money fixing it up when i could be getting a better guitar
know what im saying?

Replacing that new string would cost like one, maybe two, dollars. In fact, you could replace them all for like five dolars.
restring it strings are only like $5 for all 6 and jsut play till you can afford a new one cause then when you get a new one you will know more about guitars and you will know more songs to play on it
Quote by SlashLP
well i have a tuner
know what im saying?

It could be cheaper to just have it set up properly than it would to buy a "better" guitar. If you take it to a shop and tell them to intonate it, adjust the action the truss rod and the pickup height, as well as new strings you may be surprised at how well it plays. I've been playing for a while and trust me, an inexpensive guitar isn't necessarily a poor guitar. It's a good thing to not put too much emphasis on price of a guitar, you could save alot of money. I have a squier affinity strat with cheap gfs bargain pickups and a killswitch that I bought at radioshack and it plays as well as any fender I've played, and I've gotten my hands on some nice guitars in my day and it's because I know what to do to make my guitar more playable. I see alot of people buy EXPENSIVE guitars where the only thing that could be desired over a cheap guitar is the name on the headstock when they could have just as easily taken the guitar to a shop and have a tech take a look at it. Even if a guitar could use new electronics, tuners or what have you it still is usually cheaper than buying a new guitar. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a new guitar if it's what you really want, I'm just saying take all things into account and decide carefully what you're going to do.
Quote by david_highland
It could be cheaper to just have it set up properly than it would to buy a "better" guitar. If you take it to a shop and tell them to intonate it, adjust the action the truss rod and the pickup height, as well as new strings you may be surprised at how well it plays. I've been playing for a while and trust me, an inexpensive guitar isn't necessarily a poor guitar. It's a good thing to not put too much emphasis on price of a guitar, you could save alot of money. I have a squier affinity strat with cheap gfs bargain pickups and a killswitch that I bought at radioshack and it plays as well as any fender I've played, and I've gotten my hands on some nice guitars in my day and it's because I know what to do to make my guitar more playable. I see alot of people buy EXPENSIVE guitars where the only thing that could be desired over a cheap guitar is the name on the headstock when they could have just as easily taken the guitar to a shop and have a tech take a look at it. Even if a guitar could use new electronics, tuners or what have you it still is usually cheaper than buying a new guitar. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a new guitar if it's what you really want, I'm just saying take all things into account and decide carefully what you're going to do.

hmmm
u do make a good point
ill look into it
but it will need a lot of work
how much do u think itll cost?
Quote by SlashLP
hmmm
u do make a good point
ill look into it
but it will need a lot of work
how much do u think itll cost?

Assuming you don't need any new parts, probably about $15-$20 for labor and however much the strings you pick out cost...it really depends, they could try and rip you off and charge more or be really cool and charge less but I'd say $15-$20 is fair for that kinda job...
Last edited by david_highland at Jun 19, 2008,
Quote by david_highland
Assuming you don't need any new parts, probably about $15-$20 for labor and however much the strings you pick out cost...it really depends, they could try and rip you off and charge more or be really cool and charge less but I'd say $15-$20 is fair for that kinda job...

oh
ok
well i think ill do that
thanks for ur help man
I really appreciate it a lot
Quote by SlashLP
oh
ok
well i think ill do that
thanks for ur help man
I really appreciate it a lot

No problem at all, I hope things work out with that guitar....a guitar is a terrible thing to waste.
The only problem I really have with my JT-300 is the pickups, but that's a fixable problem.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by Vasser
The only problem I really have with my JT-300 is the pickups, but that's a fixable problem.

really?
mine goes out of tune so much
and the low e string buzz's crazy
thats why i hate mine
lol