i know this is a guitar site but i dont know where else to go, unless there is a certain place on ug it should go, and if there is im sry.

but i need help with buying some drums. i've stuck to guitar mostly so i dont know alot about them, whats the difference between a 4, 5, ad 6 piece, what is a good drum set, i have been thinkin about learning to play drums so i can teach a friend of mine how to play so we can get a band together, and should i get and electric drum set or the real deal. we hope to play some gigs when we get all that figured out. and does it matter what type of music u play when choosing a drum set?
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
Go Pearl!

But really, I dont know, and I have been shopping around for a new kit as well so I dont know what to get either.

But get an acoustic set if you are going to play gigs. Duh.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
if you plan on playing shows then you should probably get a good acoustic set. i've seen some great deals on some used ones at my local guitar center so i'm guessing if you live near one they will have deals too. the difference in a 4, 5 and 6 piece is the amount of parts there are to each, generally it's the amount of drums and not cymbals. good brands include, pearl, tama...crap i can't remember them now but avoid cheap starter sets
CB Drums just came out with their new line of drums, and I must say they are AMAZING!

All the sets vary from around $600-$1,200,000.

I recomend this one..

Those are high quality Sabian cymbols, and all the drums have chrome hardware.
Quote by guitarmannn
CB Drums just came out with their new line of drums, and I must say they are AMAZING!

All the sets vary from around $600-$1,200,000.

I recomend this one..

Those are high quality Sabian cymbols, and all the drums have chrome hardware.

PLEEEEEASE LET THAT BE A JOKE.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Wouldn't it be quicker for your friend to buy some drums and learn, as opposed to you buy them, you learn, and then teach him?

i would like to learn how to play drums too, and he doesnt have the space and i do.
My Music
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Danelectro Daddy-O
Well, here's a suggestion. Ask a drummer plz. Cuz we're all guitarists or bassists. No offense, man.
My Music
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Danelectro Daddy-O
Quote by Metallist65
Well, here's a suggestion. Ask a drummer plz. Cuz we're all guitarists or bassists. No offense, man.

surely theres some drummers, ppl dont just play one instrument.
My Music
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Danelectro Daddy-O
dont plan on spending less than 1000$ on drums and cymbals as for the drums them self company dosent matter for which style you plan on playing, 4 peice = 2 toms, 1 snare, bass drums. 5 peice = 3 toms snare bass, 6 = 4 toms snare bass drums.

you can make a cheap set sound good with good heads and tunings but u can never make cheap cymbals sound good so invest in them, menil cymbals are good for metal but pricey, u can go wrong with sabian, paiste, or zildijan but stay away from there "economy" packs

edit get the catilina set looks like a good deal just dont cheap out on the cymbals
Hey I play drums dude.

A 4 piece would be a Bass Drum a 10 inch tom a floor 14 inch tom and a snare drum....that is known as a jazz setup

While a 5 piece is a bass drum a snare drum a 12, 13, and 16" toms

a 6 Piece I have never heard of unless you consider adding either a different sized tom on top of a 5 piece

I suggest Tama drumsets, they are my personal favorite and even the lower end are really solid. The Stagestar is their cheapest and still balls solid.

Music wise it really doesn't matter for when you are starting up, there are some cliches that most genre based folks do. For instance, most metal drummers love big sets, the more the plentiful. Modern Rock drummers usually keep it average, a couple of crashes a ride a hi hat and your good to go. While Indie bands like to have the bare essentials usually a crash or two a ride a hi hate and a jazz setup.

This is all just stereotyping though......
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Last edited by GoodCharloteSux at Jun 19, 2008,
My best mate's a drummer (he was in my old band as well) & he bought this: (God please work!)
(Invalid img)
For:
Tama 5 piece kit w/Sabian AAX crash, ride & hi-hats & pearl snare drum-$700aus
Sonic Drive 4 piece-$350aus
Ziljian ZBT "rock pack" (Crash, Ride & Hi-hats)-$750aus

Grand total-$1800

My point? Cymbals are Phucking Expensive!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Go with Pearl. I have one, the export line, and they are great drums.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Export-Standard-5-Piece-Drum-Set-448855-i1140750.gc
I have that one, with 1 extra tom, and I wouldn't play another kit other than a Pearl kit (ok, well maybe a nice Tama Starclassic).
Main Gear:
guitars;
Gibson LPJ
Squire CLASSIC VIBE Stratocaster 60's
PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone Sheraton II

amps;
Bugera 1990, 6260
Egnater Tweaker
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Whats your budget BTW?

i cant really go over $800, and thats a lil tight
My Music
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Danelectro Daddy-O
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
Hey I play drums dude.

A 4 piece would be a Bass Drum a 10 inch tom a floor 14 inch tom and a snare drum....that is known as a jazz setup

While a 5 piece is a bass drum a snare drum a 12, 13, and 16" toms

a 6 Piece I have never heard of unless you consider adding either a different sized tom on top of a 5 piece

I suggest Tama drumsets, they are my personal favorite and even the lower end are really solid. The Stagestar is their cheapest and still balls solid.

Music wise it really doesn't matter for when you are starting up, there are some cliches that most genre based folks do. For instance, most metal drummers love big sets, the more the plentiful. Modern Rock drummers usually keep it average, a couple of crashes a ride a hi hat and your good to go. While Indie bands like to have the bare essentials usually a crash or two a ride a hi hate and a jazz setup.

This is all just stereotyping though......

Not True. The Number of Pieces only refers to just that, how many drums there are. For example, you said a five piece is has a 12", 13", and 16". Have you ever heard of a 5 piece fusion kit? Those are 10", 12", and 14"

Also for what type of kit, I'd recommend going to guitar center and trying all of the different brands and wood types, then buying used somewhere else. The two main ones are Maple and Birch. Maple being the most popular, but birch has a more powerful deeper sound. Also for just starting out, you can go cheap on drums, but make sure you have a good bass pedal, and hihat stand. because cheaping out on those will inhibit your ability to play.
^ I was obviously generalizing and making it simple. Would you like me to make reference to Dave Grohl's old "14, 16, 18 set up as well.

I do agree with you on the bass pedal thing, my first one snapped in half in like a month. The thing you will find with most beginner drums is that you have o make a lot of progressive upgrades....but it teaxches you on the dynamics of having a drum set.
Quote by TeXaS_db

Then I'd definitely stay away from the kits you posted. Most of them don't have cymbals or hardware, and if they do, it's low quality stuff. Look used. I've seen Pearl Exports and the like with pro cymbals and hardware go for around $800.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
^ I was obviously generalizing and making it simple. Would you like me to make reference to Dave Grohl's old "14, 16, 18 set up as well.

I do agree with you on the bass pedal thing, my first one snapped in half in like a month. The thing you will find with most beginner drums is that you have o make a lot of progressive upgrades....but it teaxches you on the dynamics of having a drum set.

Sorry, the way you stated it made it sound like all kits had the same drum dimensions. My drumset was free so I can't complain, but I had to learn on a pulse kit, including a pulse bass pedal. That pedal held me back so much. No matter how ****ty a drum is, it won't effect how good of a drummer you are, but it's essential to have a quality to kick pedal.
Quote by TeXaS_db

It really matters how serious you want to get. My suggestion, buy a used Tama Imperialstar off ebay, upgrade some cymbals and learn away. For a beginner set up you could spend anywhaere from 350 to about 650 being a realistic, no fuss type of person.

There are some things you should be aware about before buying a set

Heads/Skins are very important to a set, cheap ones ring out like there is no tomorrow. If the set you buy with comes with crappy ones you should get new ones. That'll run you about 120 dollars.

Cymbals: A big factor cymbals can rage anywhere from 60- 70 dollars to ALOT. A Beginner pack cost about 180. It usually comes with a crash a ride and some hi hats, sometimes a bonus cymbal.

OR you could buy something used of ebay that usually comes with those two problems taken care of....
Quote by Wayward_Son
Then I'd definitely stay away from the kits you posted. Most of them don't have cymbals or hardware, and if they do, it's low quality stuff. Look used. I've seen Pearl Exports and the like with pro cymbals and hardware go for around $800.

he could always go used, my friend got a Pearl export set with cymbals for about $450.
Also, I've heard DW is quite good.
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
My Music
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Danelectro Daddy-O
Ludwig make some decent sets.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic