Hello UGers's. I'll start right off the bat and explain that I have been a self taught guitarist since I started playing( 7 months now) and I've begun to solo but I have one problem. I have no idea how to make it sound right. To make matters worse I have no musicial notation or scale knowledge besides a Minor and Major pentatonic, and the only solo's I actually know that contain bits and pieces of these scales is The Four Horsemen and Paranoid(which started me off on soloing). I have no idea what chords or notes I'm playing considering I learned from tabs, so Im a rather mess of a guitar player. Is there any tips you guys could share with me or some tutorials or what not that would really help me out? If so I'd really appreciate that, thanks.
Quote by Bloodskull
Hello UGers's. I'll start right off the bat and explain that I have been a self taught guitarist since I started playing( 7 months now) and I've begun to solo but I have one problem. I have no idea how to make it sound right. To make matters worse I have no musicial notation or scale knowledge besides a Minor and Major pentatonic, and the only solo's I actually know that contain bits and pieces of these scales is The Four Horsemen and Paranoid(which started me off on soloing). I have no idea what chords or notes I'm playing considering I learned from tabs, so Im a rather mess of a guitar player. Is there any tips you guys could share with me or some tutorials or what not that would really help me out? If so I'd really appreciate that, thanks.

Learning some basic theory would be a huge help, obviously - I'd recommend this forum's theory sticky and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory.

BGC will come by and recommend the theory link in her signature. Read that too.
Well, buy a blues theory book and a classical theory book. Books always help. And they usually cost only $10.
Start learning notation. Just the basics. I read a typically easy song from notation more or less fluently, but only a basic knowledge of it is needed in order to understand scales etc., that's not to say that you should just stop learning it. The time sacrificed learning it will make the rest of your music career easier. Yes, also read the sticky.

When I was learning modes, I read the modes lesson on UG about 20 times, along with watching every single celebrity-guitarist modes lesson on the interwebs (satch, v.moore, etc). Keep at it.

Learn the notes on your fretboard, and start jamming out easy progressions, maybe even start with one chord and jam over it to get a feel for it. Then add another chord into the progression and another etc.

As regards to borrowing other people's solos and learning from them, that's fine. The first thing I ever improvised came from Led Zeppelin's Since I been Loving You, and I still use one of the licks from it in my improvisation. Shhh.

Get a teacher. You'll learn it a lot faster with someone to explain it to you and correct your mistakes.