Page 1 of 11
well, I broke ground on my next project tonight. A neck thru king v . Here's the specs...

Sapele body with Lacewood top
Wenge/Flame Maple/Purpleheart 5 pc laminate neck with scarf joint and angled, pointy headstock similar to an ESP
dual action truss rod
black hardware
Zebra humbucker pickups - possibly ceramic bar magnet but more than likely alnico v
24 fret madagascar ebony fingerboard
fretboard/headstock binding
coil taps, series/parallel switches for both pups

I cut my strip of purpleheart and started sawing the wings. I'll post pics this weekend after I get my lacewood
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Another one of your builds! Sweet! can't wait to see pics man.
I'm a sucker for taps and series/parallel switching
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

STOP MODERN DAY SLAVERY
only thing i'm worried about is the maple... i cant find flamed hard maple so this is what i have... i'm figuring i'm only going to use thin strips of it (maybe 10mm thick on each side). I'm using a piece of purple heart that's about 15mm thick and wenge that's 20mm thick on the outer edges... when it's trimmed down, the wenge will probably be about 4mm thick per side at the nut, tapering thicker toward the heel and the purple heart, i'm assuming will give me a lot of strength (considering the fact that the charts i've read show that purple heart is like 25% stronger than hard maple)

anyone think it'll be a problem to use this? the edges have an amazing flame

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
yea, i'm thinking the purple heart and the wenge will keep the maple at bay. I'm not even sure what type of maple it is...

i bet it'd work, the heart and wenge should keep things in order.

get workin'! i wanna see this sucka!
------

Shwiggity.
^ i have discovered one thing, though... wenge loves skin . that s**t splinters like crazy and it dulled the s**t out of my plane blade lol. I'm gonna test out my power planer this weekend and cut me up some wenge and maple strips.

I have to run to the store and get a thickness planer, too. I just bought a hand one this past week. Tomorrow I have to go and get the lacewood... I'm gonna pick up some canary while i'm there. Canary looks cool for necks

May the pics begin!!!!!!

bought a dewalt thickness planer and a ryobi portable power planer... started cutting, resawing and sizing pieces today

Lacewood up close

my foot

madagascar ebony... i have to resaw this chunk into fretboards...

nice loafers aha...i like the choice of wood, hope it turns out great!!
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Neck seems a bit short? from the end of the body to where the head stock will be.

and +1 on the wenge splinters, they're anoying.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^ the pieces aren't lined up exactly how they're going to be. i thought it was short when i saw the picture too but it's alright... i did a test fit and things will line up fine. i'm going to do a scarf joint not a solid neck. i figured out that all of the extra i'll have from sawing the neck shape out will give me enough for a headstock and some extra.

those loafers give me strength... they are my most important guitar building tool

^ you got it

thanks jim . I should be laminating everything some time early this week. I love the king v style - i just hate sitting down with them . But i've always wanted one... or two .

as far as strats go, i'm going to build one... maybe a few. I have a friend that wants one so I'll build one for him (at a price, of course) and I want one with a pao ferro fretboard... but i'm more a fan of 25" scale than 25.5"

oh... and yea... Moccasins FTW!

So i unclamped my neck laminates today (glued them last night). I planed them down to thickness on my new planer (a couple pieces of maple tore out... i'll just have to sand it down a little). so far everything is looking well. i glued the one body laminate before... i only have enough clamps for one at a time LoL. after theyre dry i'll plane the edges flat and square and start working on the neck geometry.

I also planed the piece of indian rosewood i had and it turned this interesting deep purple color... i'm torn between the rosewood and madagascar ebony for the fretboard... any recommendations?

here are some pics... it has a real organic look to it so far... i think anyway

you can see the lacewood in this pic..

indian rosewood, plywood wing template and some pickups on there to test:

arial view... rosewood or madagascar ebony?!?!

not a bad piece of rosewood for 6 bucks

it's definitely going to have character... i kinda like it .

next V i build will be more straight forward... I want a quilt top king

those shoes look comfortable, although i've never tried them XD

and man, build looks sexy so far. give us more guitar pr0n!
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
i ordered a truss rod, binding, mitre box and fret spacing gauge last night. last time i used a cnc to do the slots but it's a pain in the a** driving to my buddies place to do it... plus afterwards i have to saw them anyway... plus the scale came with 25 and 25.5" scales... those are probably going to be the most popular scales i'll use

yea, it's still a toss up... after i planed it i really liked the purplish hue it had to it. i'm going to resaw the madagascar ebony i have and see how that looks as a fretboard... i'm still up in the air about it. i have a flat and quartersawn piece of it... the quartersawn has a pretty straight grain to it the flat is what you see in the one pic. i was thinking of using the flat sawn as a set neck for a les paul style or maybe a bolt on for a strat... not sure yet

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
see my V build since i posted pics?

YES, I have

It's looking awesome; definite props on making the templates and cutting things properly. I was too lazy to buy/find some plywood and make templates, but it would have worked out much easier :\

I love the 5-laminate neck too, and I'd usually say ebony over rosewood, but that board is gorgeous!

Rosewood ftw, especially with the other wood colours.
rosewood it is!

I'm thinking of doing a tandem build... the king V and maybe a strat... unfortunately i dont have body wood thick enough for bookmatching the flame maple i have... nobody around here sells 8/4 thick - only 4/4 . that's OK though... i'll just do the strat after

EDIT:

i'm also going to do a cream fretboard binding to match the pickups. the cream goes well with the maple IMO.

Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Jun 24, 2008,
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
i'm also going to do a cream fretboard binding to match the pickups. the cream goes well with the maple IMO.

FIT.. do it!

What thickness binding will you use? And will you have the fret ends overhanging onto the binding (Ibanez style), or will you cut an end out of the binding (Gibson)?
ibanez style i HATE the gibson style. HATE HATE HATE it. it looks unprofessional IMO

i ordered the binding last night i have to start squaring up the fretboard. when my mitre box gets here i'll slot it, shape the sides and bind it.

im still really unsure about the neck angle though... like if i'll need one or not... i was thinking of a flush fretboard and recessed bridge but i dunno if it'll be high enough with a straight neck.

nobody on this damn site has a neck thru king v to tell me if it's got a neck angle and if they do they didnt answer my other thread... hence the reason i'm the lonely thread poster

ive tried

oh, and mint, i got binding that's 1/16"... roughly 1.5mm... I measured the stuff on my ibanez and just went with that. I got it 3/8" (9.5mm) tall in case i ever wanted to do that god awful binding over the fret ends... i probably wont though... i cant stand the way that looks.

Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
im still really unsure about the neck angle though... like if i'll need one or not... i was thinking of a flush fretboard and recessed bridge but i dunno if it'll be high enough with a straight neck.

nobody on this damn site has a neck thru king v to tell me if it's got a neck angle and if they do they didnt answer my other thread... hence the reason i'm the lonely thread poster

Here's a neck angle calculator: http://www.tundraman.com/jigs/NeckAngle.CFM

Basically you just need the bridge (at lowest position) to be the same height above the body as the top of the frets. Have a look at the page, it explains it all well
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Here's a neck angle calculator: http://www.tundraman.com/jigs/NeckAngle.CFM

Basically you just need the bridge (at lowest position) to be the same height above the body as the top of the frets. Have a look at the page, it explains it all well

Yea, that i understand... I was going to recess my bridge. I actually do CAD layouts of all of this stuff. what concerns me is that if i recess the bridge, will i have enough room between the strings and the body to mount my hardware... i'm just going to put a few degree neck angle on it and call it a day... no sense in killing myself over something trivial

Ah ok, I see the problem.

An alternative (what I'm doing) is to raise the neck a little. Maybe a balance between recesing the bridge and raising the fretboard?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
Ah ok, I see the problem.

An alternative (what I'm doing) is to raise the neck a little. Maybe a balance between recesing the bridge and raising the fretboard?

+1

That's exactly what I've done. I sanded down 3mm on the neck section, around the fingerboard, then routed a 4mm deep recess for the bridge.
^ problem is the purpleheart i had is already 1.75" and i don't want to go down much farther. kinda sucks . i'm just gonna put like a 2 degree angle on it... no big deal.

looks amazing so far!

what ever happened to ur doublecut build though?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking