hey guys....i have been playing for about a year and a half and i have this problem: i find a song's tablature on the internet and i learn to play it....at first i thought that this was the only thing u need to do,but many people ask me:''eehhh,do u know which scale is this song played on??''....can anyone tell me if there's a way to reckognise the scale a song is played on????
Quote by farcry
my goodness... is this a joke? Answer that first.

Don't be such a dick. He asked a question, don't put him down.

First you need to develop knowledge of keys, and then of the most commonly used scales. Then you can find the root of the song, and thusly, name the key and scale used.
Last edited by Donswald at Jun 20, 2008,
I'm not being a dick, the guy is being ridiculous and I honestly think he's joking around. Like what you told him is gonna help anyways, it's like throwing a textbook at a guy and saying, here learn this.
Quote by Antreas666
hey guys....i have been playing for about a year and a half and i have this problem: i find a song's tablature on the internet and i learn to play it....at first i thought that this was the only thing u need to do,but many people ask me:''eehhh,do u know which scale is this song played on??''
With solo's they usually fit into a penatonic shape which can be easily recognised.

With chords, they normally follow this pattern: Major minor minor Major Major minor Diminished Major. That first major chord will be your key.

Theres lessons which explain this much better somewhere in UG's lesson section.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jun 20, 2008,
Quote by farcry
I'm not being a dick, the guy is being ridiculous and I honestly think he's joking around. Like what you told him is gonna help anyways, it's like throwing a textbook at a guy and saying, here learn this.

Oh i'm so sorry dude...i was joking and i didn't realise that u would take it so seriously...i'm sorry if i'm playing for just a year and some months and i don't know how to reckognise the scale a song is played on...u are the best guitarist in the whole world ,u know everything about guitar and i'm sry if this question sounds dumb to u, but it really doesn't sound dumb to me at all....if u don't want to answer or u don't KNOW the answer then don't comment here and go get ****ed like ur mum does every might by ur whole neighbourhood....now if u excuse me i want continue because my english is not that good and i dnt know any more ******* to say to u...
the key is just the first chord of the progression, usually. I don't really think you should have to explain to someone what key its in. If they can't find accompanying notes then **** 'em.

Let's say you're playing "smells like teen spirit". its in the key of F because that's the first chord of the progression. he can play an F major scale or an f pentatonic scale and the notes will fit.

For a total noob I say learn a pentatonic scale pattern and then find a spot on the fretboard where it sounds good with the song.
Actually, I would say that most songs are in the key of the last chord that is played. A progression can start on any chord, but they usually end in some form of cadence that leads back to the root.

Anyway, as demon said, the order of chords in a key is MAJOR, minor, minor, MAJOR, MAJOR, minor, diminished. If you take all of the chords that are in a song, and write them down in alphabetical order, then try different starting points until the order of chords matches with that pattern (MmmMmmd).
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by Antreas666
Oh i'm so sorry dude...i was joking and i didn't realise that u would take it so seriously...i'm sorry if i'm playing for just a year and some months and i don't know how to reckognise the scale a song is played on...u are the best guitarist in the whole world ,u know everything about guitar and i'm sry if this question sounds dumb to u, but it really doesn't sound dumb to me at all....if u don't want to answer or u don't KNOW the answer then don't comment here and go get ****ed like ur mum does every might by ur whole neighbourhood....now if u excuse me i want continue because my english is not that good and i dnt know any more ******* to say to u...

Regardless of what he said to you, this response just makes you look ridiculous. Stop with this crap.
Quote by demonofthenight
Please dont chew the noobs, Mr Smiley, although that last one did look sort of tasty.

It is ridiculous; there's arguing, there's flaming, and then there's resorting to "your mother" insults that really should just get you banned. It has no place here regardless of the responses he's received.
Quote by :-D
It is ridiculous; there's arguing, there's flaming, and then there's resorting to "your mother" insults that really should just get you banned. It has no place here regardless of the responses he's received.
And spelling mistakes and noob formatting Once again, that last noob looks mighty tasty