ive been thinking a lot about this lately
i started a thread earlier this week talking about how i was going to start playing with a metronome so i can play cleaner...

but after going through the music theory faq thread i started thinking "i wish i knew all this" which somehow sparked an interest in me going out and buying a metronome and relearning how to play guitar all together

i figure with my past experience with guitar if i go in my room away from my computer and sit down and play along with the metronome for a few hours a day and nothing else with my guitar for the rest of the day i should start seeing some progress

does this sound like a good idea?
watching jason becker videos makes me want to do this by the way lol, so thats my goal

the hardest part is that ill have to resist the urge to play my guitar while im listening to my music, which is why ill practice in my room and keep my guitar in there cause my computer is in the basement

tl;dr
is it a good idea to relearn how to play guitar while constantly using a metronome and do nothing else with my playing?
well actually.. you should play actual songs WITH the metronome. you will play cleaner nd at the same time learn songs.
Quote by freak180
well actually.. you should play actual songs WITH the metronome. you will play cleaner nd at the same time learn songs.

well i suck pretty bad with the metronome right now haha
oh well then you're screwed. jk. just go up and down te fretboard doing the 1234 fingering
Target your weaknesses, decide what you need to practice, and start slowly with the metronome. If you can commit at least 2 hours a day for at least 5 days a week, then you will be making tremendous progress. Watch your playing and make sure you are doing it cleanly and correctly. Try not to develope any bad habits, and only increase the speed when you are comfortable.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by Iron_Dude
Target your weaknesses, decide what you need to practice, and start slowly with the metronome. If you can commit at least 2 hours a day for at least 5 days a week, then you will be making tremendous progress. Watch your playing and make sure you are doing it cleanly and correctly. Try not to develope any bad habits, and only increase the speed when you are comfortable.

yeah thats basically what i plan on doing, but i gotta somehow keep myself away from my guitar when im listening to my music because i always want to play along, and i know when i start playing necrophagist that ill just be throwing all my progress out of the window since its so fast
i mean if i play it in front of people they get jealous (no really lol) but as im playing its nowhere near as clean as id like it to be, so i figured id quit playing other songs and dedicate my playing strictly to practice and thats it

good idea?
Yes. Do it. I've relearned a bunch of stuff to make my playing better and I'm thankful.
I stopped anchoring completely in about 2-3 weeks.
I switched from alternate to economy picking which took about 3-4 months to get comfortable with.
It's a pain, but it's worth it in the long run.
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way suggesting that economy picking is better than alternate.
Quote by one vision
Yes. Do it. I've relearned a bunch of stuff to make my playing better and I'm thankful.
I stopped anchoring completely in about 2-3 weeks.
I switched from alternate to economy picking which took about 3-4 months to get comfortable with.
It's a pain, but it's worth it in the long run.
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way suggesting that economy picking is better than alternate.

sweet
yeah im also doing this because im trying to perfect my strict alternate picking, its fairly good right now but not perfect yet
n00b!!! ha jk

just start slow and build speed with some songs or some solos and it'll help you not just for the song but you're speed overall. ..........that is ...if you're going for speed.

Jason Becker was not only fast but a very musical on a compairitive basis...keep that in mind that its just not speed.

Good luck.
yes, your general strategy is one that should give you progress as long as you take your time and remain relaxed and focused while practicing. always be thinking, can i play that better? is that tension in my hands? are my pick movements as small as possible? once you're comfortable at a speed, move up 5-10 bpm repeat. stay relaxed.

and about playing along with songs, don't play the song itself, just practice improvising with the song as a backing track. and if you're afraid of messing up your progress, only play as fast as you can comfortably play, there's nothing wrong with a good melodic slow improvisation!