who here has busked before? and can you actually make decent money from it?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

If you are middle-class or above, don't busk for money. There are more deserving people that need it.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
it's not for me, it's for my friend we are having a disagreement on if you can make decent money from busking. i say yes if you did it all day you could make 80 bucks fairly easily just need enough material.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

You could make some money, decent? Probably not.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by darkstar2466
If you are middle-class or above, don't busk for money. There are more deserving people that need it.

Isnt deserve the wrong word? More like need. It's not like they have done anything spectacular with their life to make them deserve money more than anyone.

they need the money...
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
You would have to be in a fairly populated area, preferably in a downtown at a very people-trafficky corner to make 80 bucks.

Quote by bluesmaster
Isnt deserve the wrong word? More like need. It's not like they have done anything spectacular with their life to make them deserve money more than anyone.

they need the money...

It's a moral argument. I say they need it and deserve it. Some may say they need it but don't deserve it. Others may say they don't need it and they don't deserve it.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Jun 20, 2008,
f that, i know people who make huge, huge coin from busking. like 100g, honest. their are documented stories all over about street performers and buskers killin on coin
音乐是生活
Music is Life

Ibanez RG2550Z, Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic Custom, 06 Fender Clapton SS, Line6 Spider III 112, Peavey Classic 30, Boss HD-1, Boss Green Label Chorus, Boss SD1 Overdrive, MXR Fuzz, Blues Breaker
I haven't, but one of my housemates had a licence to busk and made a lot of money over Christmas.
Quote by darkstar2466

Busking is not just for homeless people, it's a pastime, that's a very common misconception. However, if you meant that people would be better off giving the money to actual homeless people than us rascally musicians, I agree.
Quote by st.stephen
Busking is not just for homeless people, it's a pastime, that's a very common misconception. However, if you meant that people would be better off giving the money to actual homeless people than us rascally musicians, I agree.

That's what I was going for. We have gear. We have homes and food. They don't.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
well i had a plan that once i would finish school i would go all over Australia busking in big towns and cities, then do the pubs on the weekends, get enough to get me to the next town. and do it over again.

basically live off being a travelling musician for a year. i had a whole plan on how i would live, what i would need and all sorts of other things (costs and such to). it took me 5 hours to plan the whole lot out. problem is that i have 2 1/2 years of school left.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

Is that what you really want to do after school?

I'm not going to dissuade your or criticize, it sounds rad, but I'm curious if you'll actually consider doing it.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Chris_Parker
Is that what you really want to do after school?

I'm not going to dissuade your or criticize, it sounds rad, but I'm curious if you'll actually consider doing it.

for a year, yeh. i like to travel, and i like to play guitar. might as well do both at the same time.

my basic plan was.

-get money to fund trip (buy gear required - amp, PA, van etc)
-hit large towns for 5 weeks pubs and busk.
-cities will be 3 weeks (larger crowds = more money)
-i plan on having a bed in the van to sleep in if money or pub won't allow me to get a hotel
-set aside my earnings into 3 groups (petrol/maintanance of guitar/car, food, accomodation), anything left over will be keepers

i'm hoping that if everything goes well, when i get back home i will have at least broken even. if i come out on top i did well. i'm trying not to thing about if i go under.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

I wanna know what that'd be like with an electric guitar....
Quote by Sy_B
I wanna know what that'd be like with an electric guitar....

electric guitar will be for pubs, i plan on doing some instrumental rock (or shred is what the immature 12 year olds call it). just me up there with some original backing tracks playing something Melodic. not mindless scale wankery.

on the street i plan on playing original acoustic songs, these will have vocals i just hope my voice is good enough. (i've never sung in a song before).
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

Actually I was thinking like....on the side of the street. Just for the sole sake of annoying people. Maybe you could plug the amp in your car

But seriously I think it could be fun if someone doesnt come and smash your guitar. I don't know if you could make a living off it though. But like others said I think you'd be taking potential money from the people who really need it.
Quote by deckerbastard69
ehhh arent they in that situation because they cant stay away from the bar

congratulations. you win the stupidest post of the day award.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Quote by darkstar2466

You know you can be middle class and poor don't you?

Also, how does being working class make you MORE deserving?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
i'm lost as to where people get the moral authority to decide who is 'deserving' and who isn't..

if a busker, rich or poor, is entertaining people, is he not providing a service?

i'd say that alone makes him 'deserving' of the few dollars he'll make.

he may not need it as much as another person.. but that's another issue, innit..
My friend and I made $30 in a few hours, but that's not my guitar playing, it's because her voice is reallly cool. Kind of like Alanis Morissette, and it's really loud, so we got lots of attention. And drunk frat guys wanting to impress their dates would drop mad cash. I love college towns.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite