I made these pickups from the stewmac kit . the neck pup is a 7.8k resistance, 42awg heavy formvar wrapped pickup with 5250 winds on the slug and 4750 on the adjustable side. the bridge is a 43 awg poly wrapped pup with 12.68k resistance, 6200 wraps on each coil (give or take). the neck pup has a great punchy tone with a lot of bass and smooth output while the bridge pup has a lot of midrange and high end. i'm going to test them on a friends tube amp this weekend

Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
I would really be interested in sound clips.

edit: how long did it take you to make them?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
well, the problem is that i have 2 choices... solid state, open back amp or computer interface with VST plugins... i think the only way to hear the true tone of a pickup is through a tube amp... i'll try to get something, though.

it takes a couple hours per pickup. you have to solder the start wire, tape it inside the bobbin, wind the first few turns by hand, start the counter and the winder, wind the bobbin (10-15 minutes per coil), solder the finish wire, tape the joint, wrap the coil in tape, solder the connection wire and screw/press everything into place... it's a tedious but enjoyable labor of love .

EDIT:

the funny part is that they make my s classic sound similar to my SZ but the neck pup is clearer and more defined and the bridge has more bite to it. prior to this, my SZ sounded worlds better than my s classic... i wonder how they would sound in my SZ... guess i'll have to spin a few for that one next!

one thing i do like is that i now have the stock s classic pups that i can disassemble and rewind with some wacky combinations...

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Jun 20, 2008,
they are scatterwound. My winder is a hand drill mounted to a block of wood, basically. look at the build pics in my signature it has a picture of it. All i do is I elevate the wire and angle it toward the winder, pinch some baby powder between my fingertips and start going back and forth between the 2 nylon stops i have mounted to my guide rod. it's simple yet very effective. I've used the same piece of double sided tape for 4 humbuckers already

yea. it's just as good quality as any pickup on the market. they're limited to pole piece spacing (no f spacing available) but you can get other sizes from guitarfetish.com i think... if you buy 6 of them theyre only 17 dollars each instead of 22... they're definitely worth it. i get the wire from this guy on ebay... his username is baewire. pricing is awesome, shipping is fair. you can get a 2lbs spool of 42awg poly for 48 bucks plus 10 shipping... considering stewmac charges 36 + shipping for 1/2lbs, you get 4x the wire for a few bucks more.

ok now what are you gonna call your pups? you gotta give em a name!!!!111!
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I'm working on that one

haha. I may try to fine tune my skills and sell them on a low scale under the name TDM Custom Pickups. My music project's moniker is Tedium so it just kinda fits.

Quote by CapnKickass
how bout calling them buttrubbuckers

NOOO I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

BUTTBUCKERS!
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
NOOO I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

BUTTBUCKERS!

and the name for the ones that did'nt live up to your expectation, humbuggers.
FUTTBUCKERS!!! hahaha

just an update... I was able to test run them on a marshall dual super lead last night and they sound awesome! the neck pup with the heavy formvar gives a great smooth and clear tone while the bridge pickup gives a good crisp midrange/treble with good bass response. The guy that let me use his amp said he really loved the way they sounded with his DSL and that he never liked that amplifier because it always sounded too harsh... not anymore . I think he might actually want me to make him one

UPDATE!

I know this is an old thread but I have sample clips in my profile of some of the humbys I made.

my buddy seth on his bogner amp playing TDM Heavy Vintage and SHO hand wound pickups

1st) neck pup
2nd) neck pup dirty
3rd) neck pup coil tap
4th) neck and bridge together
5th) neck adjustable, bridge slug in series
6th) bridge
7th) bridge dirty

oh and just as a quick edit... I sold 2 pups to the guy that let me use his DSL and the dude with the bogner might want some too

Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Jul 10, 2008,
Any good/bad comments???

That's a killer sound. I especially like the cleans. What kind of guitar did you use for the recording?
an ibanez S classic... it's a really thin mahogany body. I'm actually surprised at how big sounding the guitar is considering the guitar is so thin .

actually... the guitar on the top of the thread is the guitar I recorded.

FYI:
if anybody wants, I'll wind the exact same pups for you for $60 USD each with $5 extra for potting

As much as I love the sound of them, I haven't got the money right now, but that's a great price

Did you use a pickup winder, or did you manage some system like stewmac's jerry-rigged powerdrill winder?
If you look on my double cutaway thread in my sig, you'll see a picture of the winder I made. I used a variable speed power drill, a reed switch with a serial cable connection to my computer utilizing a counter program I have and a small steel stopper I made years ago when I was working on bridgeport mills in a machine shop with 2 nylong stop rings mounted to it. It works pretty damn good under 600 rpm... then it misses counts... last week it counted 6500 winds and i was off by almost 2000 . it works perfectly at 400-450, though . My winder cost me 35 dollars to make

it doesnt matter what kind of winder you use as long as it spins

hey guys - my first post - and i also happen to be that "dude with the bogner."

My name is Seth Dolled, I'm a guitarist for both an original rock band (http://www.thefifthrocks.com) and a Pearl Jam tribute band (http://www.myspace.com/nocodejam)

I am constantly playing different gear, new and old, good and bad. I am sponsored by Robert Keeley, Wilson Effects (www.wilsoneffects.com) and GHS Strings and I take my tone seriously.

My typical signal flow is:

1997 Fender Lone Star Strat or 2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard ----->

zvex fuzz probe, boss tu-2, wilson rippah q wah, keeley ts9dx, fulltone ultimate octave, mxr phase 90, dunlop univibe, keeley ts9, danelectro dan-echo, akai headrush ----->

bogner shiva 1x12 or marshal tsl 100/marshall 1960 4x12

these pickups really gave me the range of both classic gibson and classic fender tones....i definately think i'm not just gonna buy his pups - but rather, have him build me a guitar with his pups in em!

all around fantastic guy...i'd like to see some people grab a few of these pups.

Thanks for taking a listen as well.

take care

-Seth
^ well shucks... you're making me blush

^ don't bump too much... i think it's against the rules :O