I'd really like to learn music theory but I don't know how. I could just learn scales all day but I don't even understand the function of them. It makes me so despondent; having the time to study but not knowing where to begin.
Heres an easier solution, get marker on the phone. Yes, he's aware, but before you ask questions, get your facts straight first. Their is no vagina, what their is is a non-existent plane when SOME things might lurk. Get out if you witness any wrongdoings, and report them sooner or later to the local fire captain. You might find yourself asking "why?" Their is NO simple answer, if you find yourself fulfilled enough, you can discover opportunity in the midst of any wildlife massacre, more so, you can sometimes find yourself paranoid of more than a few things. These are unbelievable. Only YOU can dispel all myths of great heroes. Many will be alarmed by the news, but after awhile all "grater - men - type" will figure you correct.
^wtf?

Anyway, check out the theory sticky and learn how to costruct a major scale. It's the basis of all theory, and is the way that you will learn how to construct chords, play melodies, etc.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jun 20, 2008,
Quote by Exteme_Conflict
Heres an easier solution, get marker on the phone. Yes, he's aware, but before you ask questions, get your facts straight first. Their is no vagina, what their is is a non-existent plane when SOME things might lurk. Get out if you witness any wrongdoings, and report them sooner or later to the local fire captain. You might find yourself asking "why?" Their is NO simple answer, if you find yourself fulfilled enough, you can discover opportunity in the midst of any wildlife massacre, more so, you can sometimes find yourself paranoid of more than a few things. These are unbelievable. Only YOU can dispel all myths of great heroes. Many will be alarmed by the news, but after awhile all "grater - men - type" will figure you correct.

wtf does that have to do with music theory?? well, just read some of the music theory lessons here on UG. they're get you a nice start. but i do aggree with the post above me. learning to build the major scale is very important, so make sure to learn and understand that.
Quote by Exteme_Conflict

i think i speak for the whole of humanity when i say

"WTF ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY B!TCH!?!?!?!"

seriously though, learning theory is something that takes time. you have to start at the VERY beginning and oftentimes take baby steps to learn it and you can't go forward until you absolutely have the basics down and REALLY understand it.

the theory sticky is an excellent place to start. just start at the beginning and if you have questions ask them, but please try to be more specific than "i don't understand how chords are made" what EXACTLY is it you don't understand. i find the sticky pretty basic and easy to understand but again i've been learning for around 7 years or so.
Quote by Exteme_Conflict

fived
Quote by 08L1V10N
I'd really like to learn music theory but I don't know how. I could just learn scales all day but I don't even understand the function of them. It makes me so despondent; having the time to study but not knowing where to begin.

There is alot to it, and it takes time. I would highly recommend getting some guidance by taking a class or studying with a teacher. If you can't or are unwilling to pay someone to teach you, the other option is learning from the many bits a pieces (and opinions) found on the internet. It wont be as thorough, but you can still learn alot.

There are books you can buy as well.

Be patient. Start from the very beginning & learn 1 step at a time.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Exteme_Conflict

*reported*

Go to hell.

TS: Start with the theory sticky at the top of this forum, it's a nice introduction.