I don't really like the finish on my guitar, it's way to flashy and shiny in my opinion, so I want to take the paint of, and put a transparant varnish on it, to make the wood visible.

Is this a good idea to do? I don't really HATE the finish, but I would like something else. Did anyone of you ever do this, and what difficulties did you have? How hard is it to put the guitar back together after you took it apart?

Thanks people
I haven't done it, but in theory, sanding it back, if you have the patience, it's a good idea if the wood is nice enough, Whats the wood and what kind of finish were you thinking of?
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Quote by SG310user
I haven't done it, but in theory, sanding it back, if you have the patience, it's a good idea if the wood is nice enough, Whats the wood and what kind of finish were you thinking of?

Basswood. I want to put a transparant finnish over it, but I don't know a lot about that stuff. Do you know what varnish I should use? I don't want to spend a lot of money, cause I'm saving for a new guitar...
I don't know if this is true but I think they paint the guitars that has ugly looking wood (or with many pieces) with opaque color so you don't see it. The ones with good looking wood will get translucent colors or clear coated.

So if you guitar is painted opaque you may not like to see the wood underneath.
Quote by geluidsterroris
Basswood. I want to put a transparant finnish over it, but I don't know a lot about that stuff. Do you know what varnish I should use? I don't want to spend a lot of money, cause I'm saving for a new guitar...

Most guitars made of Basswood have an opaque finish because they hardly have interesting grain patterns. This is why there are hardly any Basswood guitars (no other top made of Maple, etc.) with a Transparent finish.

If you're still interested in a Transparent finish, see the 1st page of the Ultimate Refinishing sticky. Good Luck.