so whats the deal with up and down vertical lines in notes
example
a half note
there's
a P and q
why does the line in the note go up or down any links that give the lesson thank you very much XD
and is there a website that teaches chord reading in standard notation
MUCH LOVE XD
you mean the sticks?

If i understand your question, notes on the top half of the stave have sticks going down and up for the ones on the bottom
if by standard notation you mean on a stave the lines go up and down at different times to keep it looking tidy. This is what i've been told it.
There's no meaning to whether or not they are up or down. Just an aesthetic thing.
yeah it depends on it's position on the staff, it's just to make it readable.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Every note from below the B inside the staff must have a line going up and positioned to the right of the note. The B can be either way. Every note above must have the stick(I know the name in Spanish: "plica" it's probably similar in English) must go downwards and to the left of the note. Look at some sheet music and you'll see it's generally that except for a few exceptions.

One of those could be in classical guitar when bass notes are many times indicated with a stick going down, which also means play the note with your thumb. But that's a story for another day.
Quote by confusius
Every note from below the B inside the staff must have a line going up and positioned to the right of the note. The B can be either way. Every note above must have the stick(I know the name in Spanish: "plica" it's probably similar in English) must go downwards and to the left of the note. Look at some sheet music and you'll see it's generally that except for a few exceptions.

just for clarification he's talking about the treble clef, it isn't B on other clefs, but it's always the center line.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm