I'm in the market for a guitar and practice amp for about AU$700 (equivalent to ~US$350 in terms of "buying power"). After searching around on this site and reading reviews, I'm quite keen on:

Ibanez RG321MH $600
Roland Micro Cube AU$190

Its a bit over my budget, but I'm willing to stretch it for something decent. I enjoy progressive rock/metal (Porcupine Tree, Tool, Dream Theater, Ayreon, Gazpacho) so I'm looking for equipment that will suit this style of music.

Thoughts/suggestions/comments?

Also, is the Micro Cube decent enough to record with? I've listened to some of the line out->pc recordings and they're a bit .. ehh. I play drums and have some SM57's, so I'm intending on using one of those. Does anyone have any recordings they've done using a Micro Cube and a [quality] microphone?

I'll be heading to the music store this weekend and would appreciate some "un-biased" (... to an extent ) advice. I don't want to be financially violated by a salesman getting me to purchase some that doesn't suit my needs.

Cheers!
That is indeed a nice beginner set up. Better than my current set up!! lol.

Well, not amp wise. But nearly.
Good guitar, good practice amp.
So, yes.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Remember picks, straps and cables.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Last edited by perkristian876 at Jun 20, 2008,
thats a nice setup. to me the cube sounds pretty awesome. i have run one through a p.a. before and it sounded very impressive
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Spend less on your guitar, and more on the amp....worth it, even if you're a beginner...
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Much better than my starter setup.....
squier strat + 15W behringer amp

But if I were you I'd spend more money on the amp than the guitar.
Still, not bad
look at a vox valvetronix

i owned one for around a week, and it sounds great for practicing. the reason i no longer own it is that it doesnt sound good at band volumes. you shouldnt have to worry about that for a long time though, so its not really a factor.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
For a beginner that is a very good set up. Down the road I would look at getting ANOTHER amp for jamming with friends or gigging. The cube is a keeper even when that happens.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Try out some of the other low-cost amps if you get a chance. The puny speaker on the micro cube really was a deal-breaker for me, but I know a lot of other people love them.