I'm getting an acoustic soon and i want to do some decent covers.

I need a mic for doing vocals in general, but one that is good enough to also record acoustic playing and probably some amp outtage haha.

Not sure what to go for. Not expecting perfect recording for the amp with the SM58, but then again, am i going to get perfect vocal recording from the SM57?

I'm confused as to which one i need.
i have the 58 and im pretty satisfied with it....
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Just vocals and acoustic? The 58. Miking an amp? The 57.
...I guess the 58; my friend has the 57 and it's real bad for vox, but vocal mics pick up our amps pretty good.

Be sure to get the one with an On/Off switch, the extra $5 is worth it!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I have 2-SM57s and a 1-SM58. They're both great mics. The 57 is the way to go when recording and/or micing an instrument - it has a flat response - what you hear is what you'll get. As far as vocals go, the 58 has a brighter response which tends to bring out more treble in your voice. For vocals you'll have to try both of them to see which fits your voice better, unless you have a really good graphic EQ. I, myself use a 57 on my voice, while my other 2 band members use 58s.
I have trouble with the proximity effect of dynamic mics, so I don't like to use them for recording if the distance between the source and mic might be constantly changing, like it would be for vocals or acoustic guitar. I've tried a variety of dynamic mics for vocal recording, including SM57, SM58, Sennheiser Evolution, and AKG D790's, and have had trouble with booming bass whenever the singer get's up close to the mic. I now use an AKG C3000B condenser for vocal recording, and the results have been great.

I use an SM81 condenser for acoustic guitar recording. I also use a pair of them for overheads when recording drums.

I like the SM57 for mic'ing guitar cabs and individual drums (snare, toms, hi-hat). I like the Beta 52 for mic'ing kick drum cabs and bass guitar cabs. The SM58 I use pretty much only for live vocals.

Having a good assortment of mic's and some practice placing them will probably make more difference in the quality of your recordings than any other factor.
Skint guy right here lol. Cant really afford many mic's. Its one or the other as far as mics go for now. I'm still undecided as to wether to get a 57 or a 58.

Leaning towards the 58 tho.
Quote by CobbZ
Skint guy right here lol. Cant really afford many mic's. Its one or the other as far as mics go for now. I'm still undecided as to wether to get a 57 or a 58.

Leaning towards the 58 tho.

Get the 58, I've used it for micing guitar amps before and it's not that far off a 57, and it's better for vocals.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Is it for live use as well, or just recording?

If it's mostly recording, they're both a complete waste of time. Try a Samson C01 (there's a USB version if you record with the computer), Behringer B1, Blue 8-Ball, Nady SCM-1000 or anything similar in your price range.
If it's live and you can only get one...get the 58, but save up for the 57 later and use both, the 58 on the vocals and the 57 on the instrument/amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by forsaknazrael
There's other vocal mics than Shure. Like my Sennheiser e835...

We use a bunch of Senn's at work, we swear by them for day to day vocal stuff (common PA stuff), along with band usage when we get one coming through in our small little venue. We even switched a few of our wireless rigs from Shure to Sennheiser, mainly because both the mic and the receiver showed battery status, a feature Shure was charging an arm and a leg for at the time.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Just vocals and acoustic? The 58. Miking an amp? The 57.
...I guess the 58; my friend has the 57 and it's real bad for vox, but vocal mics pick up our amps pretty good.

Be sure to get the one with an On/Off switch, the extra $5 is worth it!

really? I thought the 57 was better for vox then the 58 was for instruments.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
^ uh uh, other way around.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^ yeah. pronounced "vokes" really.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
hmm. It is mainly for home recording. But also for band practice vocals (so USB is out of the question). I guess i'll just play it simple and get the SM58