Hi,

I have a little problem and I hope you guys can help me. I am a good guitar player,
but I have one significant problem. I can play songs but I don't know how to realy improvise like real good guitar players do. I mean changing solos or songs a little without messing them up or just making a solo out of nothing. I have problems with that. I just don't know which notes sound good while I play something. My ear helps me because I often know what would sound good, but there must be some kind of framework.

What would you do? Arpeggios or is there something else? It would be wesome if you could give me a few tips and links to lessons, youtube or somethin else!

Thanks a lot!
While I can't give you any direct links or anything, I can offer some advice. I took a sight singing class that really helped my understanding of intervals and how they sound like. This helped my guitar playing because I could more easily transfer the note change in my head to the note change that I want on the guitar while soloing. Hence, if you know what each note sounds like relative to your current note, you can simply play which ever one is in your head.

Hope that helps a little.
do you know scales basically you improvise around the scales of the key the song is written in
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Ok I know scales, but how do I know which scale is right? What is the easiest way to find out in which key the song is written?
Quote by MarlboroMan151

What would you do? Arpeggios or is there something else? It would be wesome if you could give me a few tips and links to lessons, youtube or somethin else!

Many interesting lines utilizing arpeggios, scales, loops etc can be found at http://bopland.org.

http://bopland.org/bare/export/lick-a-day/treble-clef-lick.mp3
Last edited by tonger at Jun 20, 2008,
Well there are many approaches to improvising. The easiest is really just the one key one scale approach.

Say your piece is in C major. You can play the C major all the way through and fake a nice solo, but it gets a bit boring after a while. It's not to say it's a bad thing. Some of the greatest solos have used three notes of the minor pentatonic scale. It's phrasing that makes or breaks a solo not the scales.

The other "easy" approach is the every chord implies a series of notes. This is playing the changes or soloing with the chords. Basically, there are certain notes over chords that will always sound good. That's because they are chord tones, notes that make up the chords. What you would do is look at your chord progression and identify what the chord tones of each chord are and from there construct lines.

It's a bit harder because you have to be more alert as to which chords you're going on and if you get lost you'll be a bit ****ed. What you could do, is start easy, like just a major I IV V7(Cmaj, Fmaj, G7) and play around with those chord's arpeggios, and from there start making up little licks and phrases.

You could also try learning the blues. There's a lot to be learnt from the blues when it comes to improvising, because since it's quite a while over the same chord, you don't only have to think of the notes but the spaces between them, what notes create tension to resolve on the next chord.

I'd recommend you start off with the first approach, which is just as satisfying as any other way of improvising and start branching out into other ways of doing it. Make sure you start off doing it all very slowly so you can think what note should come next so that your brain can start associating the different sounds together.

That brings me onto my next point. Listen listen listen! Listen to improvised solos in jazz, the blues and other genres. It's very important that you listen to how the masters do it, because subconsciously you pick things like phrasing up.

Good luck.