Page 1 of 2
Okay, so I'm bored as **** today, and then I thought of this idea. I'm sure something similar has been done, but I think mine has a *slightly* different concept .

So we play it like this: person A will post a short riff, about 4-8 measures, and then person B will continue off at the LAST MEASURE of person A's riff, and poster C will continue B's, and so on.

Rules are :
1. You have to continue on the LAST measure of the previous poster
2. Keep it short (4-8, a bit more is fine, just try not to make it more than 16, this is a RIFF game after all)
3. You could change the tempo, instrumentation, anything, as long as the notes on AT LEAST one of the track is the same (so you could change/add drums, bass whatever, as long as guitars or keys or whatever is the same)
4. To keep this in order, please quote the poster's riff you continued on, or state when you're gonna go next, okay?
5. If you want, you could crit and rate the riff you continued from (not mandatory, though)

Examples are in attachment (file1 is poster A's, file2 is poster B's, continuing poster A's).

I'm giving the first guy a choice, whether to continue from my second attachment, or if he/she wants go first and create a new one. After that you all have to continue from the latest post, though.

Attachments:
Example.zip
Riff1.zip
Last edited by MarchOfEternity at Jun 21, 2008,
Okay, I added onto yours, am tired, and working heavily on a song, also I am really unfamiliar with the genre which didn't help, so I just did a little variation on what you did. Great idea for a game though.

Btw your riff thing sounds really cool. I like it.
Attachments:
T&C Riff Game.zip
No, man, you're doing it wrong! You only take the last bar of the previous post (in this case mine), and expand from it. You don't continue the whole riff, you start a new one from the last bar of the riff before you! That way, we wouldn't end up writing a song, since this is just for fun . If you do it like that, you could turn mine into, idk, maybe a death metal, or classical . The possibilities are endless!
okay, so every single post is a whole different 4-8 measures with only the first measure in common with the last measure of the previous? sounds pretty cool.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
yup, pretty much that. you could turn what is previously a punk song to an epic classical orchestra if you're crazy and creative . Btw, only at least one track must be the same, you could change the drums or bass, or tempo or whatever, so long as one track is the same.

So you playing or not?
Like that?
Attachments:
Riff2.zip
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Wait, so each person's post has a new riff that DOESN'T Include the last persons riff except for the last measure?

lol this is a lot like my all genre comp thng that flopped.
I'm a person.
Last edited by PinkIsCool at Jun 20, 2008,
Yup, but from what I've seen, yours was that you gave 'em a riff to start, and they continue it till it was a full song. Wasn't it like so? Now with this, it's only something that should be fun and taken lightly .

So..... Anyone wanna play this? Could be a good way to get inspirations .
Yes, it can change genre. Now since nobody seems interested, I think I'll have a go . See, what I did is, I took Regression's, some sort of funk/rock, and made it into a ballad .

For those who want to go after me, you can take the easy way continuing from track 2, or be more creative and go from track 1 . You can change this to almost anything lol, both tracks are quite easy.
Attachments:
Riff2.zip
Yep, you're *mostly* doing it right.... Just that you don't include the previous riff, too, you start a new one from the last bar....

Oh, and what the hell did you just made???? Brilliant!

Anyone wanna have a go? C'mon, people! Let's get this going!
well, this isn't really anything but it made me laugh so I liked it

Edit: sorry, I saved it with the synth thing muted. you'll need to uncheck the "solo" thing on the guitar.

but to clear things up, the reason it made me laugh is I added in a couple really simple yet impossibly useless lines. I didn't really take much time for this one maybe I'll put in more effort on another.
Attachments:
Riff3.zip

Last edited by Its_Rock77 at Jun 21, 2008,
Guess it´s time for a new style :P
Attachments:
Riff5.zip
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts

almilano.bandcamp.com
did you know that the word mosh comes from a Jamaican corruption of the word mash, a type of reggae dancing....
'keep it cool, mon, chill it.'
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
crap forgot to add attatchment....
how many times have i done that???
Attachments:
UGriff_6.zip
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
*reserves next spot*

I had something for the other one so now I'm tweaking it to fit the last bass riff of jake the peg.

Okay, here it is. another "" one. I'm thinking I'm the only one really having fun with this. It is a game after all

please continue the rhodes piano thing too. I like that
Attachments:
Riff5.zip

Last edited by Its_Rock77 at Jun 21, 2008,

Oooh! Oooh! I'll go next .

Jake the Peg: damn, reggae, nice! see, this is what I mean, changing genres and stuff. Mildly interesting, and a good way to kill boredom, you're limited only by your creativity .

Its_Rock77: what the fuck were you smoking, lad? gotta be something real strong . Yea, it's all about fun!

strat07: I lol'd. srsly. reggae --> hardcore = lol wut? unfortunately, Its_Rock77 posted his first, so I'm sorry, but I'm gonna continue from his.

I don't know what the hell is this anymore.... To the guy going after me: PLEASE make it sane and normal!
Attachments:
Riff8.zip
Last edited by MarchOfEternity at Jun 21, 2008,
it won't play for me...not sure if anyone else is experiencing this...

no, I got the file open and ready. I clicked play and there was an error. that was all. I tried redownloading it a couple times and it kept giving me an error. *shrug*

alright, well I still don't know whether or not it worked for anyone else so I took the time (long time ) to replicate it since I could see it but not copy or play it. so I'll reupload it for you as well as my own extension once I finish it.

Edit: Okay, this one started serious. I was thinking of just making a little rock riff. and then I changed my mind it's still kinda normal but I added some weird sounds to make it cooler
Attachments:
Riff7.zip
Riff8.zip

Last edited by Its_Rock77 at Jun 22, 2008,
^ nice, I love the harmonics. could really work well as a real song, too. Oh, and we're at riff 11, now, actually .

Anyway, let's make this a little bit more interesting, shall we? Time for some good ol' prog .

*To anyone who wants to continue : Try to keep the 13/16, please *
Attachments:
riff11.zip
god, I am so addicted to this game.

this one is so stupid I can't even take it. and I tried to keep it in 13/16 for you, MoE. but I kept the drum beat since I don't think anyone has done that yet.

whoevers next just pick any measure of mine cause the last couple are either copyrighted material or just a whole note. so just make it interesting.
Attachments:
Riff12.zip

Dude, wtf is that? How'd you write these kinds of stuff??? It's really crazy and wicked insane! First, didgeridoo, and now Mario?

And someone else go. I don't know how to continue that thing .
Last edited by MarchOfEternity at Jun 22, 2008,
Guess it´s my turn now
Attachments:
Riff13.zip

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts

almilano.bandcamp.com
here goes
its like Mr Kite by the beatles, on acid
Attachments:
UGriff14.zip
Duude, nice one
Attachments:
Riff15.zip

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts

almilano.bandcamp.com
im speechless.
Quote by MarchOfEternity
Dude, wtf is that? How'd you write these kinds of stuff??? It's really crazy and wicked insane! First, didgeridoo, and now Mario?

And someone else go. I don't know how to continue that thing .

dukes of hazzard...

Quote by MarchOfEternity
oh fuck I fail

yea, thought I've heard it before..... gimme a break, I was sleepy at the time

Madzää: yours = win

No, im the real failure mine didnt even work
dude, you didn't pay for GP did you? cause it is still not working for me... this time it won't even open...

Page 1 of 2