hey all. I am getting a new guitar soon, and i think the Schecter Blackjack is an awesome guitar. However, i am not so sure regarding the pickups. I play mostly hard rock and metal.

So, my question is, would the Blackjack ATX with the Blackouts suit me, or would the Blackjack with the JB/59 ?

oh and nothing about my amp please, i am in the process of getting a new one.

thanks for your help.
Quote by jj1565
what type of music do you play?

if you play mostly bees in a box music then go wt the MG
if you play transformers, more than meets the eye, then Spider.

Blackouts, i've been researching, good for just about everything, if you have the skill.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Well, what's the new amp your getting then?

The pickups are meaningless unless you also consider what you're plugging them into.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
been looking into a valveking, but may change i guess.
Quote by jj1565

Well i've been told that the point of active Pups is that they sound great through a tube (valve) amp, so go with the Blackouts.

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Keep in mind that the Blackouts WILL NOT be able to convincingly pull off blues, classic rock, and anything with a nice clean tone. Basically, the JB/59 can do pretty much everything the Blackouts can, but the Blackouts can't do everything the JB/59 can. I say passives unless you never play anything but death metal.
The blackouts look cool, and do do what you want, when you roll off the volume on the guitar, and use FX pedals. Which will cost more, but look cool.

I'm all about looking cool, hrdcorelaxplaya seems to be about convenience and 'less is more'.

Your choice though really

You wanna look cool or be the other (i can't remember the word i was going to use(Damn))

Your choice of amp is important, but the Blackout pickups will be fine for what you require. I would advise you get either an ElectroHarmonix LPB-2 or a Ibanez TS808. They will give you extra gain if you need it, but will still allow you to play those clean tones, which are still important in older metal, for example the intro to "One" by Metallica!
Nice choice, i like One

i see. Can the JB/59 handle Metallica/Megadeth tones? I also tend to play some BFMV occasionally.
Quote by jj1565

Quote by tx4venom
i see. Can the JB/59 handle Metallica/Megadeth tones? I also tend to play some BFMV occasionally.

Personally i'd get the Blackjack, the blackouts are amazing and perfect for metal.
You can get a nice clean tone too.
Any other opinions?
Quote by jj1565

heres one...get blackouts....you should be out buying them and not waiting for more opinions
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
as stated before, if ur only playing metal, then go with the blackouts. im getting this guitar myself but im going with the jb/59. i do play some metal, but other stuff too, and if u want that option of versatility, go with the jb set, they can certainly handle metal and sound fuller in my opinion.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I prefer passive pups so I would go for the jb/59. they can handle anything. I have had active pups for a long time (emg pups) and now I don't like 'em at all.
Active pups are DAMN overrated.
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
Quote by tx4venom

yes they can and i think although Mettalica use Emgs and i think dave mustain uses custom blackouts, Matt Tuck uses the jb/59 combo however Padge uses EMGs, i would get the JB/59 as they have the most versatility and have a great clean sound aswell as distortion. IMO amp>pickups in getting a tone like your fave artists
I see. Well I think ill get the one with the Jb/59, as i do play more than metal and versatility would be good. Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated
Quote by jj1565

Quote by SG310user
The blackouts look cool, and do do what you want, when you roll off the volume on the guitar, and use FX pedals. Which will cost more, but look cool.

I'm all about looking cool, hrdcorelaxplaya seems to be about convenience and 'less is more'.

You sound a lot like the kind of player I hate.

Anyway, TS if you are playign metal, I'd suggest the blackouts, they can do cleans pretty good if you roll the volume down, especially if you use some compression to smooth out the attack a little.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by mrbungle50221
yes they can and i think although Mettalica use Emgs and i think dave mustain uses custom blackouts, Matt Tuck uses the jb/59 combo however Padge uses EMGs, i would get the JB/59 as they have the most versatility and have a great clean sound aswell as distortion. IMO amp>pickups in getting a tone like your fave artists

Matt Tuck has now switched to Blackouts. Like the cool people

Ibanez RG1550 with Bareknuckle Nailbombs and Mothers Milk
1976 Gibson SG Standard
Peavey 6505
Framus 2x12 (V30s)

Is there ANY way of you trying them out instore?

The JB/59' combo is pretty common, I find them sound pretty generic but better than most stock pickups. As for Blackouts, never had first hand experience with them.
I HAVE the Blackjack ATX

and i must say, if you play more metal then rock, get blackouts.

but should you like more rock the jb/59' will be better suited for you.

blackouts cleans are pretty decent, passives are still better of course.

Dave MUstaine uses the LIvewire pickup and the blackouts are basically an improvement upon that, and the new blackout 2's (not sure if theyre released yet) are basically the livewire improved just for metal
Guitars-LEFTY
Bernie Rico Jr. Custom Jekyll
Schecter ATX
Schecter Tempest Cust.
Ibanez GIO
Amps
Laney VH100R-Sell/Trade?? pm me
Cube 15
Misc.
THD HOT plate Attentuator and other stuff
May I suggest the compromise of getting a Hellraiser instead of a Blackjack (only differences are cosmetics, fingerboard-wood, quilt cap)

HOWEVER, the 08 hellraiser models have coil tapped EMGs(81TW/89, the tapped versions of 81/60), so you can split them into single coils and thus acheive better cleans.

Cleans: JB/59 > EMG 81TW/89 > Blackouts
Br00tals: EMG 81TW/89 = Blackouts > JB/59
Quote by Mwoit
Is there ANY way of you trying them out instore?

The JB/59' combo is pretty common, I find them sound pretty generic but better than most stock pickups. As for Blackouts, never had first hand experience with them.

nah, im ordering it in, theyre impossible to find where i live.

and nah, i was considering the hellraiser, but i really didnt like the abalone binding and overall i feel the blackjack is a better choice.
Quote by jj1565