well.. i'm looking for an advice for my bass-playing mate, who just broke his first e string lol .... (he has played in our band for like 1 year and he's pretty good... eventually he became a badass and that's how the e string broke xD)

so i'm asking YOU , fellow UGers ... which brand of strings should he buy... we're mostly into rock.. (some punkrocking too.. and some rhcp too... basicly... rock) ** he owns this Ibanez passive bass

btw... i used the search bar ;D
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
elixers
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Rotosound
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
lol 4 different answers.. os i suppose it doesn't really matter, eh?... what about the ernie ball strings? are they any good?
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
contested subject, for me if i have the money its elixir, but far more commonly rotosound
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Last edited by CaptainJack666 at Jun 20, 2008,
I'd pick d'Addario but to be honest the best way is to try a few brands of strings and see which sounds best...then do that all over again with your next bass.
rotosound
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
I use Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies, their pretty nice. I hear that the Dean Markley Blue Steels are great as well.
To be honest it is personal preference there is really no "best" string youe friend should try a range of them and see which he likes, I can recomend Ernie Ball and Rotosound.
Warwick do very nice strings as well.

Essentially, I would start with a nice set of stainless steels (either rotosound or Warwick), then, depending on how you want to change the tone, go from there.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
DR Hi-Beams are good, bright enough and still with a nice bottom. Ernie Balls are good for the first week but go dull real fast.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Rotosound.
The British know how to make a good string.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Rotosound. it's the only string brand i recommend, because it's the only brand i use.
handmade in England. they invented the roundwound bass string in 1962. i'm thinking they must know what their doing. check-out their website, it has sound samples of their strings. www.rotosound.com.
depends, he should play whats comfortable and what gives the tone he wants. Personally I use D'adddario medium nickels first because I was having horrible blister problems, but I ended up loving the tone
It's preference. I recently strung up with some Rotosounds tho, after using D'Addarios for a while. I like the Rotos. Keep in mind that from every brand, there's still different gauges and such. Rotosound makes a ton of different sets - I use the Swing Bass 66 set, great tone.

Also, if he plays slap at all, roundwound is basically the only way to go. Flats, in my experience, don't have the tone to do slap well, but whatever you want.
Quote by CrackAddict2000, on being strong like a viking
Grow a beard, a moustache, kill a bear with your bare hands, put on his skin as clothes, drink beer from cow horns and shout stuff in a low voice like: 'KNACKEBRÖD GRUNDEFJURDEGUR' and yoú'll get beefy in no time
Quote by gm jack
Warwick do very nice strings as well.

Essentially, I would start with a nice set of stainless steels (either rotosound or Warwick), then, depending on how you want to change the tone, go from there.

I never knew warwick made strings, what sort of sound do they give I might have to try a set.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp