On my new guitar (PRS Singlecut Satin Standard), for the first few frets, and especially on the lower (thicker) strings I can bend the note about half a semi tone (a semi semi tone?) just by pressing down harder. This is quite annoying when playing chords because I may be pressing some notes down harder than others. This is only on the first few frets, like 1 - 3.

Is this normal for higher end guitars? I understand it means I'll just have to learn to not press down as hard but if my guitar is set up incorrectly I'd like to know how I could fix it.

Thanks.
I am pretty sure that happens on all guitars. Think about it like this... the harder you press, the more surface area of your finger hits the string. The more surface area that hits, the closer your finger pad gets to the inside of the close fret and the higher the note gets. It gets higher because you are adding tension to the string. With fretless basses you put your fingers on the fretline, since there is no fret to angle the string and give it the tension it would have at the "fulcum" that the fret makes. Hope this helped.
You could get a guitar with shorter frets or just spend a little time teaching your self not to press so hard. Pressing to hard will wear out your frets much faster.
Yeah, I only really noticed this happening on my PGM, but it meant that I had to adapt. Just get used to fretting the guitar more delicately.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I'm sing gauge 9 strings. I've been used to gauge 10 so that might be 1 reason I'm noticing it more now.
Quote by grantjames
I'm sing gauge 9 strings. I've been used to gauge 10 so that might be 1 reason I'm noticing it more now.

Definitely could be. I prefer 10s because I tend to press too hard/accidentally bend 9s. I'm just too much man for the guitar to handle, clearly. I have 9s now though, because my guitar came with them. It's a love hate thing.
In most instances of this type you should probably just not put so much pressure on the strings.
Quote by Flamingrhythm
In most instances of this type you should probably just not put so much pressure on the strings.

Yeah, but if you're used to playing heavier strings that require it, it takes a while to get used to not pressing so hard. That and I tend to do everything with way too much pressure, not just guitar.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 20, 2008,
Quote by TheProducer
Yeah, but if you're used to playing heavier strings that require it, it take a while to get used too. That and I tend to do everything with way too much pressure, not just guitar.

That's true, If you have thicker strings then you have to put some pressure on em' but lites-superlites don't require much.