Hi UGs, here I am again. I hope this is not a dumb question.
I got my Big Muff Pi USA today. I play bass though, not guitars. So how many of you does the same as I did? Will the pedal get damaged in the long run?

I like the tone. Sounds a lot like Cliff!
i think flea did this

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

ive been usin it for over a year, in conjuction with a muff overdrive usually

EDIT: inb4thefitz

btw theres a bass big muff comin out around july ish
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Yes. Cliff uses the black Russian model that was once discontinued. But the USA one is pretty versatile so far.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
You can feel the tension building with each non-critical comment posted...

can we at least keep one muff thread flame free, just one!
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
My guitar player has a Russian Muff. I tried it by myself, and there was SOME low end loss, not as much as people are saying. However, the the thing sounded terrible. Incredibly thin and too much treble (I assume do to the low end loss). I suggest waiting till they release the Bass Big Muff, or get an MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz. That thing sounds awesome.
Do NOT get a Big Muff. Wait until the Bass Big Muff is released.

Flea also does not use a Qtron. However, they do work well on bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
DUAL AMP IT!

Get a 30-50W amp and have your distortion going only through your smaller amp.

Its only treble and higher mids being pushed through it so you can crank it safely and have your real bass amp supplying plenty of lows!
Thefitz shall have your head...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Fast_Bear
DUAL AMP IT!

Get a 30-50W amp and have your distortion going only through your smaller amp.

Its only treble and higher mids being pushed through it so you can crank it safely and have your real bass amp supplying plenty of lows!

Or you could wait until the Bass Big Muff comes out and then make an informed decision.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by IndianRockStar
My guitar player has a Russian Muff. I tried it by myself, and there was SOME low end loss, not as much as people are saying. However, the the thing sounded terrible. Incredibly thin and too much treble (I assume do to the low end loss). I suggest waiting till they release the Bass Big Muff, or get an MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz. That thing sounds awesome.

Not enough low end? Turn the tone knob down a bit.
I have no idea why people say the Big Muff kills your low end.

Yeah, to TS. You might want to return it and just wait for the Bass Big Muff.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
It is a guitar pedal, and is hence designed to cut out bass frequencies to a certain degree (they make a guitar sound muddy).

Adjusting the tone helps, but is never perfect.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I use my big muff as a bass fuzz for recording if i want to fuzz the bass. i've also used it in conjunction with a very downtuned guitar on the neck pickup (i think it was tuned to Bb F D G B e, so only the E and A strings were downtuned, i was trying to combine guitar and bass tunings and ended up just using the lower 2 strings on the song) as a bass in a song i recorded while i was bored, and it worked pretty well for giving a really loose rumbly bass sound.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
like i said earlier if u use it with a muff overdrive(or even a double muff which is just 2 of) it sucks almost all the low end and gives it a bit of a lower end guitary sound to it, its quite nice, though id never use it seriously
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I've heard some really fat bass tones using a Big Muff - seeing Mark Lanegan with Isobel Campbell and her band playing his song Wedding Dress stuck in my head so clearly because the bass sounded fantastic (just a P, SVT and Muff)
For the love of god why haven't more people torn this thread apart this is near goddamn unbearable. Don't use a big muff on your bass it cuts your low end and leaves you completely lost in the mix. You may think it sounds good, and preference being the fickle bitch it is, that may be so, but that doesn't change the fact that you will be rendered pretty unheard in a band setting. For christ sake wait for the god damn bass big muff thats coming out soon and ditch the paper weight you just bought.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Last edited by bluntfoot at Jun 20, 2008,
I believe there is actually a special big muff for bass coming out, i remember seeing an advertisement for it somewhere.
Wait till the comes out and get it.
Unlike the American Big muff I don't think its gonna cut your low end.
IF you cant be bothered waiting try and get hold of a Russian big muff, apparently they're better for bass.
Last edited by 666hamish666 at Jun 20, 2008,
^^^

Actually the russian big muffs work better on bass because they can be modified quite easily. You can remove a few diodes and the low pass filter is gone. Problem solved.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Quote by bluntfoot
^^^

Actually the russian big muffs work better on bass because they can be modified quite easily. You can remove a few diodes and the low pass filter is gone. Problem solved.

ahh right,
apparently the Russian big muffs don't sustain for as long though,
im not sure.
Can't wait till the bass big muff comes out
I have my USA Muff set to sounding pretty Muse-esque, and I'm going to show our band's bassist it and teach him to play the intro to Hysteria.

Now that I know this won't damage the pedal, I'll definitely try it.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by bluntfoot
^^^

If a Muff (or any distortion EVER) had a low pass filter at all, we'd be living in a wonderful world.
Quote by Woogles

I don't know what amp you have, but I'm going to GUARANTEE that it's really small. Play through a big amp, notice the big loss of low end. Or listen to Cliff's tone at any point during his solo. Not only that, turning down the tone sigificantly reduces treble. When people start using real bass pedals, they'll start to understand that you can have your cake and eat it too when it comes to bass and treble.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jun 20, 2008,
Quote by Chris_Parker
I have my USA Muff set to sounding pretty Muse-esque, and I'm going to show our band's bassist it and teach him to play the intro to Hysteria.

Now that I know this won't damage the pedal, I'll definitely try it.

muff alone will not get hysteria, trust me, ive spent alot tryin to find that tone, russian will get u close, russian and akai deep impact will get u closer
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Oh damn i mean you can rid of the high pass filter i was thinking backwards.
Rickenbacker 4003
Carvin 210 Neo
Ampeg V4BH
Quote by CaptainJack666
muff alone will not get hysteria, trust me, ive spent alot tryin to find that tone, russian will get u close, russian and akai deep impact will get u closer

Aw...

Well, it sounded pretty similar, or at least enough so.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by bluntfoot
Oh damn i mean you can rid of the high pass filter i was thinking backwards.

A high pass filter would mean the highs are unaffected by the effect, while the lows are processed.

You're looking for low cut filter.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by thefitz
If a Muff (or any distortion EVER) had a low pass filter at all, we'd be living in a wonderful world.

I don't know what amp you have, but I'm going to GUARANTEE that it's really small. Play through a big amp, notice the big loss of low end. Or listen to Cliff's tone at any point during his solo. Not only that, turning down the tone sigificantly reduces treble. When people start using real bass pedals, they'll start to understand that you can have your cake and eat it too when it comes to bass and treble.

A ashdown MAG 300 isn't that small :P
I play guitar and bass so I bought the muff for guitar and just mess around with it for bass sometimes.
The Big Muff does make it quieter but I just turn up the input on my amp.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I got a russian big muff two months into learning bass. I now want to get rid of it *COUGH check my sig COUGH*. It absolutely slaughters my low end, I drop right off the mix when I use it. I view the big muff as an adolascent dream of heavenly tone, but when it is experianced it drops you into despair.

Oh, btw, you cannot get MUSE tone through it without the akai deep impact, but the akai costs a ****load. If you want muse tone, get a cheap synth (boss, ibanez, whatev), put it on a low setting. I find that a synth is like a spice, you should use it sparingly unless going for more funky tones. Then run it through an otaver, which will do the heavy lifting for getting you that MUSE tone.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
this is all well and good, but the best bass fuzz is and probably will be for a while, the zvex woolly mammoth, its strange how deeply overlooked it is on these forums, yeah its a bit expensie but for a reason!
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by Woogles

Yeah, to TS. You might want to return it and just wait for the Bass Big Muff.

This does not add bass, it rolls off treble making it sound like there is more bass but in fact there isn't. All turning it down will do is make your sound muddier/brighter.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!