Hi,

I am just beginning to play guitar (started in high school then guitar promptly got stolen) and I went to Guitar Center to get a new guitar and amp. They really pushed the Spider Jam and just beginning I thought some of the features would be good to have, silly me.

To make thing short, the sound on this thing is poop. It is very shrill and after a week of tinkering I still can't seem to get a decent tone.

So my question is this, what is a good amp that I can exchange for ($449 or less). I play punk, rock, very little metal at this point so I am looking for something that has good cleans, good distortion and a headphone jack. I am open to getting an amp and a distortion/overdrive pedal also.

I will be playing this at home, no gigging or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for the help.
well a headphone jack means no tube amp....>_<.

If you want all that look at trying to get a line 6 flextone used, or peavey valveking and a pod for silent practice.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
I dont see why the line 6 would be that terrible. i have a POD and i can make pretty much any tone you could dream of. given a tube amp would sound better but it cant be terrible. anyway, iv heart alot of good things about roland cubes.
you don't need a valveking, it's overkill for home practice and just a mediocre amp anyways.
Might as well just get the 5 watt version of the VK and some pedals.
It does have a headphone jack too.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by Laimbo
I dont see why the line 6 would be that terrible. i have a POD and i can make pretty much any tone you could dream of. given a tube amp would sound better but it cant be terrible. anyway, iv heart alot of good things about roland cubes.

POD>Spider
Fair point about the POD. Iv never used a spider. just from what iv seen it seemed to have a large portion of the functionality.
Quote by Laimbo

It's not that Line 6 is a bad company, it's just that the Spider series lacks in the tone departement. Line 6's other products are actually quite good. It would be worth looking at the model above the Spider, the Flextone, as it is a nice solid state amp. The other recommendations of a Cube, Valveking and Valve Jr. are good recommendations as well.
Is there any difference between the Cube 30x and the 60? Vox vs. Cube?

The headphone jack isn't a huge issue as it's just me and the wifey at my house so I could do a tube.

Just trying to get some more opinions so I don't screw it up again.
Quote by j-atc
Is there any difference between the Cube 30x and the 60? Vox vs. Cube?

The headphone jack isn't a huge issue as it's just me and the wifey at my house so I could do a tube.

Just trying to get some more opinions so I don't screw it up again.

Ya, the difference is that you should get the ValveKing. It pwns the "cube" .
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
the roland cube. them things are awsome.

*smack* its those. Those things are awesome.
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
you don't need a valveking, it's overkill for home practice and just a mediocre amp anyways.
Might as well just get the 5 watt version of the VK and some pedals.
It does have a headphone jack too.

i disagree

and which 5 watt amp are you thinking?

Doesn't sound like a headphone is a requirement but you can always get a headphone adapter/attenuator from tedweber.com

also check into the Fender Super Champ as it is great for a hybrid amp imo.
Most places usually push either the jam or the spider III, I'm just glad i got rid of my spider.

I'd go with a valveking. Affordable and reliable.
The valveking is good, but it may be too powerful for just a home situation. I use mine for practice, just at the lowest volumes i can put it. If your really interested, look at the demo in my profile for a little idea of what it sounds like.

I have a fender G-dec, i like it, but i'm not sure what everyone else has to say about it. You might want to look into that if the headphone jack and backing tracks still appeal to you.
If I go with the VK do I need to get a pedal also? Like a Bad Monkey?

And again with the Rolands since the VK may be too powerful- difference in sound between the 30 and 60 or just wattage?

I'll listen to sound clips when I get home since the work comps don't have speakers
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Ya, the difference is that you should get the ValveKing. It pwns the "cube" .

eh
not really
the valveking has a really wooley, annoying tone
way to dark and muddy

the cube is much better with both cleans and distorted tones
Quote by guitaruboy
eh
not really
the valveking has a really wooley, annoying tone
way to dark and muddy

the cube is much better with both cleans and distorted tones

i agree.
the 30x and 60 are the same except the 60 has a Presence knob. i think that's all.

and which 5 watt amp are you thinking?

he was talking about the Peavey Valveking Royal 8. i haven't heard much about those yet at all. i've been thinking about picking one up myself, but i seriously doubt i can push it into Death Metal zone... :[

If I go with the VK do I need to get a pedal also? Like a Bad Monkey?

you're definitely going to need a OD pedal to boost your distortion if you choose to get a tube amp because they don't break up very well at lower volumes, especially a 50w tube amp. in your case i wouldn't get the Valveking because it's too much volume for practicing at home, and it's a little more difficult getting a good sound out of them at lower volumes, because as soon as you crank it, your tone will be gone.

Cube's are great. you can get a Microcube if you want something small, portable, cheap, and that sounds great. or you can get the 30x or 60 if you want a louder amp. stay away from the 15x and 20x.

but actually, you might want to get a Vox... they're aimed more towards lower gain stuff. and if you're playing punk and rockish stuff, it might be a better choice for you.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Last edited by ugmung at Jun 20, 2008,
Why not just go in with your guitar explain to the guys what the problem is and say what they have available as a replacement. Play the ones that you can be bothered with and choose whichever sounds best to you.

Just dont buy another Spider
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by rhettro
It's not that Line 6 is a bad company, it's just that the Spider series lacks in the tone departement. Line 6's other products are actually quite good. It would be worth looking at the model above the Spider, the Flextone, as it is a nice solid state amp. The other recommendations of a Cube, Valveking and Valve Jr. are good recommendations as well.
i dont think people know how to use the spider jam http://line6.com/spiderjam/movies.html