Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I've been thinking to buy my first electric guitar (I have been playing classic guitar for 1.5 years now). When my friend heard that I want to buy an electric guitar, he immediately offered to sell his Squire by Fender guitar. He had bought it 3 months earlier. It is exactly like this : Squire by Fender Guitar

It has an amp, strap, tuner, picks, everything I need to start playing. He wants $150 for it. When I asked him if it is good, he told me it is excellent. What do think friends?
Don't get it...
I'm pretty sure you could buy all that stuff in a pack for like $100
But If you've already been playing for a while, I think you would soon tire of the squire, you might want to spend a little more cash on a good moderate post-beginner's guitar
signature here: ________

member # (insert number) of the (insert club name) club
You probably shouldnt pay over 100 for that. The combo packs tend to suck and break realllyy fast.
unless hes' got a really, really good amp, not worth it
Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
If you're just taking it because its cheap, thats all your going to get. Squires aren't very good unless you invest in them to make them better which you'd be better off just buying a new guitar. Did you wonder why he immediately wanted to sell his squire?
I'd take 150 bucks over a squire any day. If you want some other suggestions just post your budget, your style, and your uses for it.
Quote by Sniperguitar

When I asked him if it is good, he told me it is excellent.

Either:
A: your friend is deaf
B: he's trying to rip you off
C: he's mentally ill
D: all of the above

Pick one
Quote by drag_the_waters
If you're just taking it because its cheap, thats all your going to get. Squires aren't very good unless you invest in them to make them better which you'd be better off just buying a new guitar. Did you wonder why he immediately wanted to sell his squire?
I'd take 150 bucks over a squire any day. If you want some other suggestions just post your budget, your style, and your uses for it.

I'd just like to say, old squiers are excellent and of a similiar quality to MIM's. However in this case don't do it. Your not being ripped off that badly however it's probably not worth it.

I'd take 150 bucks over a squire any day

What about some of the early rare squiers?

Be wary of the posts flamming squiers here alot of members here are immature and think that a squier + cheapo amp will give them a Brootalz tone when playing thier metal powerchords and riffs. Also alot of people knock them when they've never even played one.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Jun 20, 2008,
Well I dunno.... maybe I can afford $200. I never played Electric Guitar before.... I'm into Rock mostly. Thank you for your kind replies
I AM IMAGINING THE FUTURE WARS... GUITAR WARS, EVERYONE HAS B.C RICH WARLOCKS THAT FIRE BULLETS AS FAST AS HELL.
Grab a used 15 or 20 watt amp and maybe a used Fender Strat or an Epiphone. IMO, Used is the way to go if you want the most bang for your buck.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by drag_the_waters
Either:

Pick one

I'd say D..

Anyway, dude, it seems like you have enough experience, even though it's classical, to not get a Squire... most people only buy them because they're OKAY starters, or they want experience modding guitars.. I'd say save a bit. Post your genres and playing styles, we'll give you some guitars to think about.
Quote by Madsalty

What about some of the original rare squiers?

I apologize for generalizing but I was meaning the one he was talking about, and most new squires as well. You know, the ones made from plywood.
Quote by drag_the_waters
Either:

Pick one

HAHA Nice one
I AM IMAGINING THE FUTURE WARS... GUITAR WARS, EVERYONE HAS B.C RICH WARLOCKS THAT FIRE BULLETS AS FAST AS HELL.
Quote by BD 425
Grab a used 15 or 20 watt amp and maybe a used Fender Strat or an Epiphone. IMO, Used is the way to go if you want the most bang for your buck.

Do that. It might be hard to fit all that into 200 dollars but you could probably do it.
Quote by Zeppelin_1223
I'd say D..

Anyway, dude, it seems like you have enough experience, even though it's classical, to not get a Squire... most people only buy them because they're OKAY starters, or they want experience modding guitars.. I'd say save a bit. Post your genres and playing styles, we'll give you some guitars to think about.

Not much. I'm into Rock. But with that Classic Guitar I had, I couldn't go far with it... that's why I'm into buying an Electric Guitar. (I like them too!)
Quote by Sniperguitar
Not much. I'm into Rock. But with that Classic Guitar I had, I couldn't go far with it... that's why I'm into buying an Electric Guitar. (I like them too!)

How much experience do you have with the classical guitar? Is it a case of you bought a classical guitar and play most things or have you actually studied and learnt to play classical pieces on the guitar?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Does the fact that he's selling you a guitar which he says is "excellent" THREE MONTHS AFTER HE BOUGHT IT not tell you enough?
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
Quote by Bedhead03
if u buy that guitar for more than 5 ponds/ 10 dollars i will kill you

Yep and after he's done i'll revive you and proceed to kill you again.
Quote by Madsalty
How much experience do you have with the classical guitar? Is it a case of you bought a classical guitar and play most things or have you actually studied and learnt to play classical pieces on the guitar?

I'd say both. At first I took lessons with it and I went pretty good. Been taking Classical Guitar lessons for a year. The rest six months I spent them playing classical pieces and also inventing some by myself! I played a lot of things with it but I was never able to get a good Rock sound (of course it's a Classical Guitar).
Quote by Sniperguitar
I'd say both. At first I took lessons with it and I went pretty good. Been taking Classical Guitar lessons for a year. The rest six months I spent them playing classical pieces and also inventing some by myself! I played a lot of things with it but I was never able to get a good Rock sound (of course it's a Classical Guitar).

Just let me tell ya now, if you get that squire, you won't be able to get a good sound period.
Quote by Sniperguitar

So i'm guessing your a competant guitar player. You say your budget is $200 and your a rock fan is that correct?

EDIT: I've just recorded my first take of Steve Vai - For the love of God with my squier but mine's a whole different animal!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Chaosinborn
You probably shouldnt pay over 100 for that. The combo packs tend to suck and break realllyy fast.

My Starcaster pack is holding up pretty well... I've had it for about 6 months and the nut popped out but I just glued it on, now it works perfectly. Thats all the damage so far.
Quote by Madsalty
So i'm guessing your a competant guitar player. You say your budget is $200 and your a rock fan is that correct?

CORRECT
get an epiphone LP special2 or SG special. they are around 160-180 and then go to a pawn shop and pick up a cheap amp. if u want a better amp get the guitar used for 60-100 at a pawn shop, get it setup for 30-40 then get a decent amp(most likiely used with your budget).
I have little to no knowledge of such things, but find a guitar in that price range that you like, see if you like the way it plays.

Unless it has BC Rich on the headstock.
All their cheap stuff is garbage. Their higher-end stuff is great though.
Gear:
Fender P-Bass
BC Rich Trace Warbeast
Amps and pedals that make me go BAWWWW.

Need:
Lessons on music theory
A job
It all depends on what you want to do. I do not suggest you get a squire, not when your as learned as you are now on the guitar, no matter in what particular style. Squires have a decent sound, but they are not worth 150 when your past that stage. I would suggest you would buy the amp off your friend for cheap, not only to please him, but also to have an amp. Also, buy the other essentials hes offering. You should get it all in like 50-100. Now, save up a bit and go to Guitar Center, and buy either a new Standard Fender Strat, or a used strat. I would suggest, when you are buying an electric guitar, due to your background, you should stick to Gibson, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, as they are easier to adjust to, and Paul Reed Smith is one of the most Versitile in the industry. Maybe once you've had about a years experience on electrics, I would maybe upgrade to a schecter, or an Ibanez, if your getting into Electric guitar. Or not, Alot of people like Fender, PRS, and Gibson. Its your choice really, it all depends on what you like.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Did your friends leave the room to go to the bathroom excessively? If so, they were masturbating.

Quote by JewMasatFlex
if that is why you are playing guitar, then stop. play guitar because you like music, not because you want some pussy
I have a squire strat and its not really amazing but it plays decently after I got the action fixed, I just wish it sounded better. I definately want to get a new guitar but for the price it was great but distortion blows on that guitar and the amp that comes with the pack lol. Even the clean sound on it is werid, sometimes I actually just play without it plugged into the amp for a better sound lolololol
Quote by Cryokinetic
I have little to no knowledge of such things, but find a guitar in that price range that you like, see if you like the way it plays.

Unless it has BC Rich on the headstock.
All their cheap stuff is garbage. Their higher-end stuff is great though.

Yeah, B.C Rich guitars are freakin' awesome! As you can see from my sig I am a B.C Rich Guitar fan and I would like one in the future (grr... I can't afford one now though). As you said B.C cheap stuff is no good but the higher-end ones like the beast are AWESOME!
Unfortunately i live in the UK so my skills at finding the cheapest guitar packages in the US are limited.

However there are two ways you could go:

1) The expensive but ultimately the best option.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp-480260-i1145291.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-104298773-i1174173.gc

^^ I appreciate that smashes our budget but it is far superior and for someone with competant guitar knowledge you should thrive of that package and get an excellent tone!

2) The more realistic option:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Cube-15X-Guitar-Amp-487030-i1169242.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar-519417-i1150594.gc

^^ A tad over budget but worth it to get quality and value for money. That setup should get you absolutely any sound really!

Mad

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Madsalty
Unfortunately i live in the UK so my skills at finding the cheapest guitar packages in the US are limited.

However there are two ways you could go:

1) The expensive but ultimately the best option.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp-480260-i1145291.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-104298773-i1174173.gc

^^ I appreciate that smashes our budget but it is far superior and for someone with competant guitar knowledge you should thrive of that package and get an excellent tone!

2) The more realistic option:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-Cube-15X-Guitar-Amp-487030-i1169242.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRX20-Electric-Guitar-519417-i1150594.gc

^^ A tad over budget but worth it to get quality and value for money. That setup should get you absolutely any sound really!

Mad

10x Man!! I really really really really really appreciate it!!! 10x a mil!!!
Quote by Sniperguitar
10x Man!! I really really really really really appreciate it!!! 10x a mil!!!

Not a problem, we've all ultimately been in similiar situations so if i can help and share my experience then why not!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Sniperguitar
Yeah, B.C Rich guitars are freakin' awesome! As you can see from my sig I am a B.C Rich Guitar fan and I would like one in the future (grr... I can't afford one now though). As you said B.C cheap stuff is no good but the higher-end ones like the beast are AWESOME!

Not all beasts are good. There's one for like $250 and I've heard a lot of bad things about it.
Granted, I'd LOVE to have a Platinum series beast.

Trace Warbeasts are decent for their price though.
Gear:
Fender P-Bass
BC Rich Trace Warbeast
Amps and pedals that make me go BAWWWW.

Need:
Lessons on music theory
A job
Damn man that Ibanez GRX20 Electric Guitar is soooo nice especially in that Jewel Blue color! I am seriously considering saving another $50 dollars to be able to buy this beauty and that Roland Cube 15X Guitar Amp.
I would really recommend the amp in the first package i suggested though as it's a tube amp. I'm not going to go into the excentricities of a tube amp and why they are leaps and bounds better, they just are, believe me!

I can't explain to you how much better they are!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Both would be good but that first one that he said would be great for you. If there's any way at all you could get the money for it, do it. It will be well worth it.
Quote by Cryokinetic
Not all beasts are good. There's one for like $250 and I've heard a lot of bad things about it.
Granted, I'd LOVE to have a Platinum series beast.

Trace Warbeasts are decent for their price though.

Yeah, my cousin is mad about those beasts. He has several types like B.C Rich Classic Deluxe Eagle, Ironbird One, Assassin PX3T, Trace Warbeast, Standard Warbeast, Mockingbird Special and some more. WARNING : If you go in his bedroom and touch one of those, you're dead by the minute.
Quote by drag_the_waters
http://djtronix.com/petrra158gua.html
There's a decent practice amp. Still looking for a guitar for you. It's got good cleans, and a decent distortion.

I actually have that exact amp. It was my first amp and its great. Doesn't sound bad, and has a decent Lead channel. The only thing i dislike is that the Lead channel is pretty heavy once you're past 2 on the pregain.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Page 1 of 2