Heya my mate is wanting to start guitar. And needs a guitar and amp, now Ive been playing five years hear in the UK so Im not a complete noob. But likes stuff like the kaiser cheifs, bit of maiden, some RATM, and other newish soft rock acts. So I was thinking of recommending him squire affinity strat, as i used to have one and people slag of squire, but my affinity would challenge a MIM fender anyday with a pup swap. But maybe you guys could make some sensible suggestions, bearing in mind hes not a metal nut really, more soft rock. As for an amp I was thinking maybe a vox AD, because they dont sound quite as sterile as the cubes and as he doesnt need crushing tight distortion I think he would get more out of a AD by vox. I know someone is going to say tell him to get a little 5w valve amp, but I dont think for a starter it is worth the hassle bearing in mind he might give it up anyway.

Also do you think a semi hollowbody might suit him better than a solid body? Maybe something along the lines of a dot (kaiser chiefs) or maybe an artcore
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
well your right about the amp. he'll definitely get good tone and versatility out of the ad.
as for a guitar he should look into getting a epiphone les paul possibly. they are great and can get a good soft rock sound to ratm.
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
I wouldn't start out on a hollowbody, and yes you're right with the Vox. There's no point in getting a beginner a 5w tube amp. As they don't have the ear to tell the difference anyway, it's better to have some effects to toy around with. Look into some Yamahas as well, some of them are considerably better than squiers, even though I'm actually quite happy with mine (mind you I pumped about €200 of upgrades into it).
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
i'd probably go with the vox and maybe a yamaha pacifica 112.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for the most part most starter all guitars sound the same to me but the epipi SG special was good 2 me and for the amp i think a lowend line 6 would do em good
^haha, no. Line 6 are absolutely terrible for what he wants (and are pretty bad in general from my experience). I agree with the poster who posted the Epi LP. Would help a bit if we had a budget cause then we could suggest models to try. The Yamaha is pretty nice for a starter guitar too. As for amps, I think you're on the right page with that Vox. He could check out some of the smaller Traynors too, from experience their amps are pretty good quality at any price range.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd probably go with the vox and maybe a yamaha pacifica 112.

+1

Fantastic idea.
ok so ill defo recommend him the vox, and how could i forget the pacifica!!!! Anyway ill need to take him to a shop and get him to try out some squires, pacificas and les pauls. Personally i think a strat style guitar would be better suited to his music tastes, but do you guys think? I mean outa the bands i mentioned, plus alot of soft rock the majority use single coils
^^

^ i agree, and the humbucker's there for slightly heavier stuff (even if he doesn't play metal, it's handy for rock), plus there's a coil split push-pull switch too. it might be worth trying a few lags too, as their budget models (just avoid ones with floyds, as i assume they're junk at <£200) seemed to be quite nice. I'm not too sure if there are any HSS ones, though, which might put a dampener on that. EDIT: something like this, maybe: http://www.lagguitars.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?GUID=25c89fe5-e6ba-4613-a044-2b9f40820a2c (or in a nicer colour: http://www.lagguitars.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?GUID=c2cba999-5b15-45db-b19b-afdd833a6503 ). They do look pretty modern though, if he's into soft rock etc. he may think they're too overtly modern/metal-looking.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 20, 2008,
so the cheap pacifica already has a coil split?

also i sent him some typical single coil sounds and typical humbucker sounds, gona see which one he likes best.
^ check my edit above.

and yeah, this year's version of the pacifica 112 now has a coil-split. You can tell it's this year's version by the shape of the pickguard- on this year's model, the humbucker isn't mounted to the pickguard, it's mounted in a pickup ring (as on e.g. a gibson les paul).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lol those lags look like parker fly warlock hybrids

i actually think they look alright (as long as you aren't after vintage looks). But I agree, they are very modern-looking. I wouldn't blame anyone for not liking the design.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so would you guys say pacifica?
probably, aye. but if you have a lag dealer nearby, it wouldn't hurt to try those too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
none nearby
oh ok. yeah, the pacifica should be fine to be honest. Just make sure it's the 112 (alder) and not the 012 (agathis). There's a lot of debate regarding whether or not agathis is as bad as people think, but at the end of the day, is it worth the risk when the alder one is only slightly more expensive?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Varkunus
so would you guys say pacifica?

+1

The 112's a good guitar.

Vintage are making some good entry level stuff at the moment too, well worth a look.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vintage/electric_series

The VP6 is actually their take on the Pacifica.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1 One the Yamaha
Our school's got one. Its a nice instrument for the price.
what about the squire affinity, maybe i got lucky with mine but i really like it. Great playability
i haven't tried that many squiers, but based on the few i have, i'd say the pacifica is far superior. But as i said, i haven't tried that many (and those i have, i wasn't too particular in finding out exactly which model was which), so i could be wrong. But, at least based on the ones i've tried and in my opinion, the pacifica 112 is as nice (or at least, almost as nice) as some MIM standard fenders I've tried.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yay i agree some squire bullets and such are absolutely terrible. I mean you can flick the tuning pegs and make them spin round. My affinity is like the pacifica and it will be almost up to scratch with MIMs. Anyway based on versatility i think i will recommend him the squire