I just not too long ago bought a 1998 Gibson Flying V used for 700 dollars (a steal compared to the retail 1200 dollars new especially considering the pristine condition of the V). I was wondering if a pickup change would be beneficial?

The tone I get from the standard Gibson pickups isn't bad, as a matter of fact they're already pretty hot pickups and sound good clean as well.

I was wondering if it would be smart to change out these for either a set of a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck or a set of EMG 81/85 actives.

What different sounds would these pickups give me? The reason I was wondering about this is because media has led me to believe that these are higher end pickups and one of my idols, Michael Amott, uses the 59' and JB combo.

Also, how much routing would I have to do to my guitar to fit the 9v if I went to a set of active 81/85's?

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated, I was just wanting to hot rod my guitar thats all haha.
JB and 59' = Pure versatility.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
For me at least pickup changing is a standard procedure, for years now I've done it on my guitars with few exceptions usually related to the fact the guitar itself had the pickups i wanted since day one. If i can give you tips about this procedure, first of all if you haven't done it before and we are talking about your main guitar, have it done from a pro. Second, since you narrowed down what you would like try to find guitars with similar or identical configurations and see if they deliver what you want. For the duncans here a good idea would be to try the Amott signature, sure a great deal of dynamics come from your guitar and the real result can come only from doing the change but you'll get a good picture of what will happen. As for the routing, I'm not familiar with the space in the V but I've upgrade several guitars to active pickups and there was always space in the control cavity to fit the battery without any additional modding.
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
a pickup change would probably be good, but you should hold on to the originals in case you ever plan to sell it.

As for which kind of pickup, the Seymour Duncan JB and '59 would be good for classic rock tones and maybe lighter music.

The EMG's would be good also, but they are designed for more hard rock/metal. Also, with active pickups they will be much louder than a traditional humbucker. As for the mounting of the 9V battery, I don't think it would be that big of a deal, but I am not very familiar with the Flying V specifically (a guitar shop or someone online could probably help with that)
It pretty much depends on what kind of sound you want. The JB (which I use on one of my guitars) will give your guitar more kick compared to the stock setup. Even though the JB's are quite metal they still offer a lot of flexibility. That flexibility is, according to some, one of it's major flaws. You could compare it to being a jack of all trades, but a master of none (I know, cliché.

The '59 is a kickass neck-pickup, but I prefer the Jazz.

I really don't like the EMG 81/85 set. They will absolutely kill the character of your guitar and make it into a soulless piece of wood with strings attached to it. The tone is far too hollow (all bass and treble) and sterile. But to answer your question: I don't think you would have to do any routing to fit the battery, but I'm not sure.
My current amp is a total POS... I'm working on getting a new one but I cant afford it quite yet. I'm running through a Peavey solid state Renown amplifier... it's bad but bearable... I have to get my distortion from a BOSS ML-2 (metalcore) pedal as of now which in turn causes a lot of hum but i'm going to use my dad's rack effect that acts as a noise gate.

Anyways yeah to answer your question my amp is a solid state Peavey... I'm going to college soon and my parents are douches so I have to pay so I cant afford a new amp yet, just some pickups. When I do buy another amp I plan on getting a Krank Rev Jr because of it's tube capabilities and the fact that it's all the amp I really need at this point... a 120 watt head would be way to much for all that I'm doing so far.
I'd say if it has the 490R/498T set, you don't need a change.
On MF it gives the specs as:
# 496R Hot Ceramic pickup in the neck
# 500T Super Ceramic in the bridge

But I personally would suggest the 490R/498T for your flying V.
Or, 490R and an angus young signature pickup in the brdge.
Please do not insinuate anything sexual from that.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Cerrus100
My current amp is a total POS... I'm working on getting a new one but I cant afford it quite yet. I'm running through a Peavey solid state Renown amplifier... it's bad but bearable... I have to get my distortion from a BOSS ML-2 (metalcore) pedal as of now which in turn causes a lot of hum but i'm going to use my dad's rack effect that acts as a noise gate.

Anyways yeah to answer your question my amp is a solid state Peavey... I'm going to college soon and my parents are douches so I have to pay so I cant afford a new amp yet, just some pickups. When I do buy another amp I plan on getting a Krank Rev Jr because of it's tube capabilities and the fact that it's all the amp I really need at this point... a 120 watt head would be way to much for all that I'm doing so far.

Wait until you get a better amp, new pickups aren't going to do anything through a crappy amp. Pickups are only a small part of the tonal equation.

BTW, amps aren't always crazy expensive. A Randall RG50TC would do metal, and it's only 560 bucks. 50 watts of tube power is enough to do gigs with, easily. And enough headroom for cleans.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Wait until you get a better amp, new pickups aren't going to do anything through a crappy amp. Pickups are only a small part of the tonal equation.

BTW, amps aren't always crazy expensive. A Randall RG50TC would do metal, and it's only 560 bucks. 50 watts of tube power is enough to do gigs with, easily. And enough headroom for cleans.

Pffft.
You want TONE?
Epiphone blues custom.
2x12.
Class A and A/B, tube-driven overdrive.
Perfect.

But new pickups DO matter, ALOT.

Also, maybe it's naive, but I think if he as a GIBSON FLYING V, he's not running through some 15 watt fender frontman or marshall MG.

Quote by cobain_is_king
If your friends don't like your guitar, cover it in stickers and it'll be teh rawks!
Quote by Iansmitchell
Pffft.
You want TONE?
Epiphone blues custom.
2x12.
Class A and A/B, tube-driven overdrive.
Perfect.

But new pickups DO matter, ALOT.

Also, maybe it's naive, but I think if he as a GIBSON FLYING V, he's not running through some 15 watt fender frontman or marshall MG.

You're a moron.

1 - He plays metal. The Blues Custom would be a terrible choice.

2 - They don't matter THAT much. They're for tweaking your tone. And even then, he has a crappy amp. They're not going to make a significant difference.

3 - It is naive. PLENTY of people do that. And he already said he has a ****ty amp. gtfo.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You're a moron.

1 - He plays metal. The Blues Custom would be a terrible choice.

2 - They don't matter THAT much. They're for tweaking your tone. And even then, he has a crappy amp. They're not going to make a significant difference.

3 - It is naive. PLENTY of people do that. And he already said he has a ****ty amp. gtfo.

Blues custom+compressor+tubescreamer=metal.

A tube amp is NEVER a bad choice.

Hahahahah!!!
So you think the difference between a ****ty squier's tone and a fender american strat's is "tweaking"? And don't try to say it's all workmanship and wood. Basswood is used in steve vai's guitars, and the neck is bolt-on, anyone can file frets.
Pickups=30% of guitar tone AMP=40% of guitar tone Wood=20% strings, neck, wiring, and EQ=10%/

He has a ****ty amp. The epi blues custom is a great amp. A crappy squier isn't much better through a JCM 800 than a epi valve junior, tubes are tube, crappy pickups are crappy pickups. Get a tube amp, get good pickups, get pedals for metal. Don't lock yourself in the box of all balls-to-the wall metal-only stuff that can't do **** when anythings under "10".

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
Blues custom+compressor+tubescreamer=metal.

A tube amp is NEVER a bad choice.

You are STILL a moron.
That's gonna get you a ****ty metal tone. Just because it's a tube amp doesn't mean it can do EVERYTHING. If I want spanky cleans, i'll get a fender. If I want British overdrive, I'll get an Orange. If I want thumping metal, I'll grab a Splawn. Different amps do different tones. No amount of pedals is going to make a Fender sounds exactly like a Two Rock. No amount of pedals will make a Fender Bassman do a good metal tone.

Quote by Iansmitchell
Hahahahah!!!
So you think the difference between a ****ty squier's tone and a fender american strat's is "tweaking"? And don't try to say it's all workmanship and wood. Basswood is used in steve vai's guitars, and the neck is bolt-on, anyone can file frets.
Pickups=30% of guitar tone AMP=40% of guitar tone Wood=20% strings, neck, wiring, and EQ=10%/

He has a ****ty amp. The epi blues custom is a great amp. A crappy squier isn't much better through a JCM 800 than a epi valve junior, tubes are tube, crappy pickups are crappy pickups. Get a tube amp, get good pickups, get pedals for metal. Don't lock yourself in the box of all balls-to-the wall metal-only stuff that can't do **** when anythings under "10".

Jesus ****ing christ man. Let's set things straight here. First off, the Epi Blues Custom is OKAY amp. It's not that good. I can name 5 amps easily in a similar price range I'd rather buy.
Second, who the **** is talking about Squier VS Fender?

You seriously need to shut the **** up. You're really ruining things for other June '08ers.

BTW, I never said Basswood was ****ty, I never said bolt-on were ****ty. Basswood is a very nice, midrange pronounced tonewood. Bolt-ons necks are just as good as a set neck is they're done right. And yes, the difference between an MIA Fender and a Squier is worksmanship and wood quality. I'll continue liking my 1 piece Fender bodies and that have extremely playable necks and you can keep your plywood and 7 piece Squier bodies with a ****ty poly finish for all I care.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jun 20, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
You are STILL a moron.
That's gonna get you a ****ty metal tone. Just because it's a tube amp doesn't mean it can do EVERYTHING. If I want spanky cleans, i'll get a fender. If I want British overdrive, I'll get an Orange. If I want thumping metal, I'll grab a Splawn. Different amps do different tones. No amount of pedals is going to make a Fender sounds exactly like a Two Rock. No amount of pedals will make a Fender Bassman do a good metal tone.

Jesus ****ing christ man. Let's set things straight here. First off, the Epi Blues Custom is OKAY amp. It's not that good. I can name 5 amps easily in a similar price range I'd rather buy.
Second, who the **** is talking about Squier VS Fender?

You seriously need to shut the **** up. You're really ruining things for other June '08ers.

I'm starting to doubt you've USED any of these amplifiers.

And I was talking about how well pickups can change a guitar's tone. i.e. THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
I'm starting to doubt you've USED any of these amplifiers.

o rly? They carry them at a shop about 40 minutes North of me, and one about 15 minutes east of me. (Not the Splawn, though...UG's own erock503 has some godly clips of his, though.)

BTW, I never said pickups don't change your tone. But if you think that you can play a decent metal tone through a Epi Blues Custom, with a few pedals, and a set of EMG 81's, you're mistaken. Pickups aren't the biggest factor when it comes to tone, or even the mitigating factor when it comes to determining what kind of music your tone is suitable for. The amp is.

BTW, for your information, I'm a blues rock guy.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jun 21, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
o rly? They carry them at a shop about 40 minutes North of me, and one about 15 minutes east of me.

BTW, I never said pickups don't change your tone. But if you think that you can play a decent metal tone through a Epi Blues Custom, with a few pedals, and a set of EMG 81's, you're mistaken. Pickups are the biggest factor when it comes to tone, or even the mitigating factor when it comes to determining what kind of music your tone is suitable for. The amp is.

BTW, for your information, I'm a blues rock guy.

Kerry king of slayer uses a JCM 800 head
Dimebag darrel used Solid state randall stacks
Eddie van halen said he found his best tone from a fender blues junior
Static-X's guitarist uses Marshall MG stacks
Metallica uses Mesa Boogie amps.

It doesn't have to be a good amp, a high gain amp, or even a tube amp, you can use it for metal with the right creativity and pedals.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
Kerry king of slayer uses a JCM 800 head
Dimebag darrel used Solid state randall stacks
Eddie van halen said he found his best tone from a fender blues junior
Static-X's guitarist uses Marshall MG stacks
Metallica uses Mesa Boogie amps.

It doesn't have to be a good amp, a high gain amp, or even a tube amp, you can use it for metal with the right creativity and pedals.

I don't get where you're trying to go with this..?

1 - The JCM800 IS capable of metal. No one said it isn't. It just depends on what kind of metal you want to play. If you want to play Children of Bodom...probably not gonna cut it. If you play...say's 80's metal, Iron Maiden-ish stuff, early thrash metal....you'd be set.

2 - No one is disputing Randall can do metal. I never said that. In fact...I believe I recommended a Randall in this thread...

3 - You're pulling the EVH thing out of your ass. I know what amps he's used. I also know that he talks a lot of bull****, too. And EVH's tone in the first two albums isn't all that "metal". When he switches to the 5150 is when it actually gets pretty dry and gainy.

4 - Are you trying to say Static-X sounds good?

5 - Again, no one said that Mesa Boogie CAN'T do metal. The F-series of amps can do metal, the Stiletto series can do metal, the Double and Triple Rec can do metal, the Recto-verb can do metal....etc...BTW, Hammett uses a Randall signature model now.

I really don't understand your train of thought.
What I'm saying is it's not the amp, it's the player

Quote by cobain_is_king
Haha guys cant we all just get along! Here answer this... if I can't afford a new amplifier within the next year or so (i'll be paying for college) would it be pointless to go ahead and buy new pickups? And would you recommend that Randall over the Krank Rev Jr. for a good metal tone?
Quote by Iansmitchell
What I'm saying is it's not the amp, it's the player

You've never said that or implied that through any of your posts. Get your your **** together. And you're wrong again, anyway. Alexi Laiho through a Epi Blues Custom isn't going to sound like a decent metal tone. Period.

Quote by Cerrus100
Haha guys cant we all just get along! Here answer this... if I can't afford a new amplifier within the next year or so (i'll be paying for college) would it be pointless to go ahead and buy new pickups? And would you recommend that Randall over the Krank Rev Jr. for a good metal tone?

It would be pointless. And yes, I would recommend it over the Krank. It's less expensive, and has more clean headroom.
Quote by Cerrus100

Krank rev jr. is good, but overpriced IMO.
Randalls=NO flexibility.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by Iansmitchell
Randalls=NO flexibility.

Randalls?
As in you're forming a blanket statement? Get outta here. Seriously. Not all Randalls sound the same.

I bet you haven't even tried the RG50TC. It's probably the best lower priced tube amp capable of high gain. It's got decent cleans, and does mid-gain tones decently.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jun 20, 2008,
^i would have to say it's kind of pointless right now for you to get some new pups.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Randalls?
As in you're forming a blanket statement? Get outta here. Seriously. Not all Randalls sound the same.

I bet you haven't even tried the RG50TC. It's probably the best lower priced tube amp capable of high gain. It's got decent cleans, and does mid-gain tones decently.

meh, cleans aren't decent...

and to the NOOB who said it's the player not the amp... for tone, it's like 4% guitar, 95% amp, and 1% player FOR TONE
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
and to the NOOB who said it's the player not the amp... for tone, it's like 4% guitar, 95% amp, and 1% player FOR TONE

Sigged for pure stupidity.

Then why is it PLAYERS are more famous then single guitars, and why do more people know who jimmi hendrix is than a JCM 800?

Why would dimebag darrel use a SOLID STATE amp?

Fact is, you're wrong.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Quote by danyellenik
meh, cleans aren't decent...

Well, compared to a Fender tube amp, no..
For a amp suited for higher gain usage, yeah, it's decent.

Quote by Iansmitchell
Sigged for pure stupidity.

Then why is it PLAYERS are more famous then single guitars, and why do more people know who jimmi hendrix is than a JCM 800?

Why would dimebag darrel use a SOLID STATE amp?

Fact is, you're wrong.

No idea who is jimmi hendrix is, sorry.
Quote by forsaknazrael

No idea who is jimmi hendrix is, sorry.

Okay, make fun of my typo.

Quote by cobain_is_king
Haha well thanks for your advice guys... I'm so proud I started a small comment skirmish.
^
Yes, rather amusing, eh?
Let's get back on topic:
Quote by Cerrus100
Would pickup change be wise?
Personally, I think not. The Gibson pickups you have are quite good to start with. Sure, you'll have a slightly different tone palette available with at pickup change, more difference with the actives. But you mention that your amp is crappy. A new amp will make a huge difference. The pickups a small difference. It will cost you over $200 for a set of EMGs. That money should go toward an amp, imho.

But $200 won't buy you an amp, so at least you can get a minor improvement with the pickups now, right? Keep thinking like that, and you'll keep spending money, a hundred or two at a time, always keeping yourself out of range of the amp. Think like and adult, instead. Put that $200 aside, and DON'T spend it for anything. Keep adding to it with every opportunity. You'll be surprised how fast you can save for that amp.

or just piss your money away on smaller things and wait, wait, wait for the amp.
your money, your choice.
Quote by Cerrus100
Also, how much routing would I have to do to my guitar to fit the 9v if I went to a set of active 81/85's?
you could listen to the people who tell you this will be no problem, or you can find out for yourself. iirc, you don't have a cavity cover on a V. that means the ONLY way in, is to remove the pickguard, each and every time you need to change the battery. this is a pain in the ass. if you're convinced you won't mind doing this, take your pickguard off right now, and look for yourself. see if there's enough room for a battery or preferably 2. too much trouble to bother? guess what, you'll have the same trouble facing you when your battery is dead and you can't play your guitar.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.