I usually figure out a bar, memorize it and move to the next one, but i cant play while reading wich is the point of sight reading
how do you do it ?
any help is appreciated
by doing it pretty much, I try to always read 1-4 bars ahead of what I'm actually playing (the faster the song the more i try to read ahead) so it's a mater of being able to play one bar while memorizing the next few at the same time, and yeah it takes a lot of practice by just doing it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You just have to be extremely comfortable with the notes in relation to the notes on your guitar and how fast you can recognize both.

This: http://www.guitar49.com/ref/notes%20on%20the%20guitar.jpg has helped me a lot on relating one to another. I've also bought a few books that give you tips.

But yes, just plain practice is the way to go.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Quote by jasonmetal love
You just have to be extremely comfortable with the notes in relation to the notes on your guitar and how fast you can recognize both.

This: http://www.guitar49.com/ref/notes%20on%20the%20guitar.jpg has helped me a lot on relating one to another. I've also bought a few books that give you tips.

But yes, just plain practice is the way to go.

That picture is so confusing, it's upside down and arse backwards.
well i'm currently transcribing a tab to guitar pro at the request of a bud. it's hard for me as well cus i've forgotten all of the music theory i've learned in 5th and 6th grade lol. oh the good old flute days..
by doing, thats the easiest way

i think the best thing you can do is start with a song you already know and read the song and play it as you read it, this will help you get used to identifying where the notes are since you already know "ok this is an F chord i know that, so its this note this note and this note in this order" once you learn to sight read some songs you already know then go onto some simple songs you don't know and start from scratch.
This sounds maybe weird but you have to 'sing' the notes in your head. So don't think about which fret your finger goes to but let your mind go
sight reading is a challenge for all musicians...a few "tricks"

find the highest and lowest note in the piece...find an area on the fretboard where you can play the notes...

find any "easy" patterns "scales, arpeggios..that you already know

find any repeating patterns in the piece .. melody, fills etc.

take the hardest looking patterns and break them down to playable patterns, that is, if you see a long string of dotted 16th notes or complex rythems..change them to eight or quarter note patterns

when you get comfortable with this ... move the melody up or down an octave and practice transposing up or down a fifth

this all takes time and patients....remember you have to play SLOW before you can play fast...
I recommend Guitar Freak Workstation with SightReader Master.
It's totally adjustable to the users level and works on reading notes with rhythms. I've looked around and there's nothing for guitar or bass software that deals with sight-reading but this. The download site with some info is www.prolevelguitar.com
PS it does chords and a swing function for jazz as well. From what I can see, you can upgrade the software to a whole bunch of tools I haven't seen before... there's some videos on them.
Quote by RCalisto
this thread is over a month old dude -.-
It doesnt care. Forum bots dont have feelings. It is just a program which searches through mt and spams that message in any thread contain "sightreading" in its name.

Which is why that post has been:

*reported*

so the bot can be permabanned