Hi, i was just wondering if the tips of your fingers are supposed to peel. Mine firstly harden then it turns into a small area of hard skin then it peels off, is this normal, arent the calluse meant to stay there. If you have any tips on how to keep calluses, please help me.
It's normal. You have 23-odd layers of skin, and they're constantly peeling off and regenerating. The guitar strings will peel off the top couple of layers of skin as you play, and the overall pressure on your fingertips hardens them into calluses.
ahh, but mine have peeled alot but they never seem to stay for very long, is that just normal, you just keep re-generating?
I've been playing for about 3 weeks now and my fingers are in the same state. The skin on the tips is flaking off. Last night while I was practicing I had to keep blowing the dead skin off my fretboard...blech.
Gotta keep at it. Mine did the same. Now I got gnarly "caps" on all my fingers (except my damn pinky...). Been playing for 9 months.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Gotta keep at it. Mine did the same. Now I got gnarly "caps" on all my fingers (except my damn pinky...). Been playing for 9 months.

Yeah, usually the pinky has SOME hardness to it.
I finally got calluse on my middle and index finger, right hand, from tapping As for my left hand, all callused out. It will eventuall come to any one if you keep practising.
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
I have the bad habit of picking my calluses... I've been doing it for years. It sucks, too, because if I peel one too much, it hurts when it makes contact to the string.
Quote by JubeiTHPS
I have the bad habit of picking my calluses... I've been doing it for years. It sucks, too, because if I peel one too much, it hurts when it makes contact to the string.

oddly... same here.....

however, i've stopped myself from doing it to the point where it hurts when i play. for me, it took years and years of strict mental training from the world's top callus-picking masters for me to learn that.

anyway, from what i've heard, you should use a nail filer just before you start playing to prevent dead skin from building up on your guitar.

in response to the first post, i think that it's normal for them to peel. I'm pretty sure that all calluses do that. but like i said, the nail filer should work.
ive been playing for 5 months and mine only start to peel if i play right after i take a shower
i guess the water softens it enough to start the skin peeling
Quote by JubeiTHPS

Lol. So do I. If one finger starts peeling I do it to the others. I've started doing that about 3 years ago where I just bite it off and it was peeling all over the place. Yea.
After about 2 weeks of practicing with my acoustic for 2 to 4 hours a day, every day, my finger tips are pretty hard, numb, and tingly. Kinda weird, but it doesn't bother me. No peeling though.
Yeah, my fingers peel, but they're still hard, its weird.

Don't worry about the peeling as long as you can still play, you don't show off your callouses, you show off your playing.
I got back on the horse of guitar practice a year ago. The first 6 months months of playing my skin was constantly peeling. Now they don't peel at all. It's kind of weird.
Just a question , What's an easy way to get rid of those 'callous craters' that form when the callous gets torn from like bending or something? I mean like after a while theres a little circle of dead skin I can get rid of. I try to but end up peeling more skin off and making the 'crater' bigger. Its also prone to rip a lot more and expose more raw meat and make playing painful.
Quote by Zarros
Just a question , What's an easy way to get rid of those 'callous craters' that form when the callous gets torn from like bending or something? I mean like after a while theres a little circle of dead skin I can get rid of. I try to but end up peeling more skin off and making the 'crater' bigger. Its also prone to rip a lot more and expose more raw meat and make playing painful.

i got those when i started but i just left them be. id allow them to just heal. especially if it pains you to play because you may make them worse
People are strange when youre a stranger
Faces look ugly when youre alone
Women seem wicked when youre unwanted
Streets are uneven when youre down
When mine start peeling they hang on stings so what I do is take some fine grit sandpaper or an emory board (for fingernails) and sand them smooth keeps you from pulling to much skin off. You just want to get rid of the flaking skin so don't do to much and only use fine grit.
My Gear

Schecter Gryphon with Seymour Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck PU's
Fender Superchamp XD Amp
Bad Monkey Pedal
hey i also got a question,

if i have a blister on a finger, do i keep playing with it or do i give it a day off.
I think i read that blisters form calluses so i don't to destroy it, but i can play through the pain.
I've been playing for 1 week. 1st day was hell :P. After 8 hours my fingers were practically bleeding (not really). Now, I don't *think* I have calouse :/... idk. My fingertips are slighty red hued, hard, and numb-ish. But at least it doesn't hurt to play anymore ^_^
(: Happily E-Married to Nizzi <3 (:
Quote by Myfirstpubes
Then you get your bathroom door kicked in by some dude in a leather thong and a cape saying, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Quote by shanethestoner
hard work. and inspiration... or marijuana

My MySpace