I didn't think this would be under the basics forum. But I recently bought an Ibanez SR800 bass and it is my first bass. The strings were pretty old so I bought new ones and I went to replace the E string but it works much differently than my guitar. The string's ends loop around and then go into the center. Any idea on how I'm supposed to put my new strings on correctly? Here is a picture.

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Line 6 Spider III 75
Old SG Mock
put the end of the string in the center. then wrap the string around the peg.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
bend the end, put it in the hole, wind..... presto, one string on one bass

EDIT: achtung once again i am beaten by funkbass, not only by posts but by basses X_X
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
before you just stick the string in the center though make sure that the string is not too long. Measure about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the tuning post, cut, and stick the center through the middle.

Too much windings and you end up with serious tuning problems. Too little and the string won't stay in.
Depending on the length of the string I tend to hold it up and cut it off with around 2 inches more than the tuner thingy, then you stick the end into the hole in the centre of the tuning thing (name escapes me at the moment) and then wind the string around until it becomes tight-ish and the tune and bingo! There you go.

So the step-by-step guide:

1. Cut the string to size, not too long not too short leave a good 2 inches just in case you can always trim it down.

2. Insert the end of the string into the hold in the centre of the machine head (think thats the name :/)

3. Wind the string up until its about ready to be tuned.

4. Tune it and there you go.

I think i've covered everything, my typing style is really confusing so just say if you don't understand it.

Ah bollocks, beaten to it.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
^ haha really. how does this keep happening?

EDIT:to captain jack
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Jun 20, 2008,
I typed all that up hoping no-one would post before me >< I took too long with it I guess...
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by funkbass369
put the end of the string in the center. then wrap the string around the peg.

Pretty much hits the nail on the head...
Quote by funkbass369
^ haha really. how does this keep happening?

EDIT:to captain jack

simple, u have 2 basses that i am Gassing the hell out of, then u beat me in the forums lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...