I've had a solid state Marshall MG 100 Watt for the past 3 years. While it wasn't the greatest decision I've made it served me well and allowed me to grow musically. I've now sold that and I am looking to buy a new tube amp within the next two weeks. Right now my main focus is the 5150 III. I recieved a 10% off coupon for guitar center that would knock about 300 off the price and 475 off from the money I recieved for my old amp. So the amp would approximatly cost me about 2300. The only thing that worries me about this amp is that I've heard it's not very versitile. I do play alot of VH but I also play Floyd, Zep, and other classic rock bands and I'm not sure I would be able to get a similiar tone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, one more stupid question, I live in NY, do they charge tax on amps?
why the 5150 III? that's outrageously overpriced. IMO, a Peavey 6506+ would suit you well, plus its a hell of a lot cheaper than the 5150III
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Yea go with the peavey version of the 5150/6505, same freakin stuff for the most part, and it's less then half the price.
Quote by bjovi400
why the 5150 III? that's outrageously overpriced. IMO, a Peavey 6506+ would suit you well, plus its a hell of a lot cheaper than the 5150III

This.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
^^ if he doesn't play a lot of harder stuff, the straight 6505 will have a bit too much gain and not very good cleans. the 6505 Plus is basically the opposite. it has less gain and nicer cleans, and if the TS plays a lot of Floyd, the cleans are where its at
Ibanez AEL 12-string

I doubt that a 6505+ is the best amp for "Floyd, Zep, and other classic rock bands". Even though it has better cleans than the 6505, they still aren't amazing. There are much better classic rock amps in that price range.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Last edited by Blackballed at Jun 20, 2008,
Yes, there is tax on amplifiers in New York. I hate it, but there's no way around it (except buying on craigslist). Also, how are you getting $475 for your Marshall? There's no way they're going to give you that much money. Or maybe I misread, and you managed to sell it to someone else.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Blackballed
I doubt that a 6505+ is the best amp for "Floyd, Zep, and other classic rock bands".

did i say it would be the best amp? no.

but the + does have nicer cleans than the 6505.
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Quote by bjovi400
did i say it would be the best amp? no.

but the + does have nicer cleans than the 6505.

You may not have said it was the best amp, but you still recommended it, and all I was saying was that there are better amps to be recommended for what he plays. For instance a peavey classic 30. It is also much cheaper than the 5150 III, but is more geared to the type of music he plays than a 6505+.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Last edited by Blackballed at Jun 20, 2008,
Craigslist FTW. You can find a lot of great gear at half of the original price that someone "never needed" to begin with. Keep your eyes open and be patient. PT Barnum was right, there is a sucker born every minute, and one just bought your MG... Seriously...