Hi all, I found an ad on craigslist for a nice used Fender MIJ strat (pics below, case is included), I did some research on it and I believe it's a Contemporary model from 84-87. It's got the fat strat setup and a System III Fender/Kahler trem. It looks very nice, and the guy is only asking $350. This sounds like a damn good deal to me, and I'm meeting with him tomorrow to give it a test run and possibly buy it on the spot.

I hear jap strats are very well made and somewhat rare, but what do you guys think? Is this a good deal, or should I save my money? If it helps I play mainly Classic Rock, with some Metal and Blues and such.
Attachments:
011513010201011605200806132f4bc2bde9a5a47c2e001ca8.jpg
0115130104090116002008061328c42138fa686889ce00ccd8.jpg
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
If it's in good shape, I'd say it's a good deal.

And at the risk of sounding dumb, they made 2-knobbed Strats?
haha yeah i was wondering the same thing, one is a volume and one is a universal tone with a treble boost which I thought was pretty sweet
Hmm, did he provide pics of the headstock or serial number?

EDIT: It's probably a Fender HM Strat. If it's in good nick and it's genuine, it'll be a good buy I think.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Something feels odd about it to me, I think the knob and the trem unit are throwing me off. And the fact that there is no hole for the 3rd pot in the pickguard which makes me wonder where you would get a 2 knob pickguard. Maybe it's easy, I've never tried.

EDIT: I'm not saying that it isn't a genuine Strat, either. I've just never seen one, which means nothing at all really. I haven't seen every one ever made.

But overall, and MIJ strat for $350 sounds good. Does it come with the case? Then it's even better.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jun 20, 2008,
To TheProducer, the HM Strat sometimes had this as stock, as can be seen here
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Quote by roythereaper
To TheProducer, the HM Strat sometimes had this as stock, as can be seen here

Good point, but that guitar has a slightly different body shape than the one in his pics, and a Strat in general.
Yeah, I was thinking that, the one from Craigslist has more rounded cutaways. Again to the TS, a serial number would be handy.
Call me Callum

Quote by roythereaper
Yeah, I was thinking that, the one from Craigslist has more rounded cutaways. Again to the TS, a serial number would be handy.

The Craigslist one looks a genuine Strat shape body, or pretty darn close. Those pics are so small though. I find it odd that he didn't show the headstock either.
Fender Locking Tremelo

>.>

EDIT: If it's legit, go for it.
Call me Callum

yeah I get you guys, that is why I am going to check it out tomorrow, I have some notes handy from the research I did including serial numbers and hardware and such, the configuration I'm not questioning because it matches up with what I looked up, but the first 2 things I check will for sure be serial # and headstock since I didn't get any good pics of that

the case is included as well, and I hope he has the trem arm, because I hear those are a pain to find replacements for

EDIT: ^ yeah that's the ad, I was just unsure about putting links to craigslist on here, and the wikipedia page is spot on too