so yeah i have a decent voice on me (and better when im singing along to a song) but i cant for the life of me get to be playin while singing, i either focus on vocals and screw up bass, or focus on bass and go all monotonous, any tips or is it a natural ability
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Two pieces of advice:

1. Use the search bar, this has been asked many times before.
2. Don't ever post 5 new threads in a day.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Jun 20, 2008,
Learn the bassline of whatever song until its almost automatic, then add the vocals. Practice, practice, practice...
Quote by Captain Insano
Two pieces of advice:

oh im not done, nah im kiddin, but yeah apologies
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
practice singing easy songs first, sad to say I learned how when i was in my 8th grade blink-182 phase.
Try "dumbing down" the bassline so that its easier to play and then start of by doing simple things while playing bass like talking to your friends or something.
Once you get used to doing that try singing little bits of it, once you've learnt how to do it you'll wonder why you struggled i did
I can sing while playing simple 8 notes, but thats it.
I have tried singing to californication though, and I can just about do it, but probably not to the best of my singing ability
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
It takes a lot of practice but also try and think about the bassline and the vocals fit together, play and sing slowly and try to understand how it all locks together.
You need to have both parts perfect.

Take them seperately. Learn the bass part, then learn the vocal line. Or the other way round. Then mash them together. Don't worry about speed, just get the feeling for how the lines interlock.

Then, slowly speed it up. The most important thing is to have them perfect before you start doing them together. You've got to be able to not think about what you're gonna sing or play next, otherwise you'll mess up the other part.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Captain Insano
Two pieces of advice:

Dude, how bout, don't post if you're not going to contribute at all to the thread? Use the search bar and find that you 'use the search bar!' people are annoying, and no matter how many times you say people will still continue to post what they want, that's the way it works.

as for the contributive part of my post, I agree with the idea of dumbing down the bass lines until you're familiar enough with singing and playing, then spice those babys up
Also you might want to try humming the melody while playing then you wont have to worry about remembering the words until you have it down.
well i suck at doing this at all, but i would think if u sang while playing simple quarter note/8th note riffs and slowly progressing to harder things, ud get better at it

just my opinion, hope it helps
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
practice singing easy songs first, sad to say I learned how when i was in my 8th grade blink-182 phase.
i started by learning to sing and play on guitar first because basic chord movements are easier to sing to than basslines. most tabs have the lyrics with the chords noted above the words to tell you when to change chords so thats pretty helpful too.