Well, i'm pretty set on getting either a peavey 5150 II/6505+ at some point in the next year!

However, i'm just wondering if anybody has any other amp recomendations for the same type of sound around the same price range?

thanks in advance
Top lel.
What do those things go for now? When you get that expensive there are lots of options. Try looking at the Bogner uberschall and Engl powerball or fireball if they are in the price range.

That said, if your using only the 6505+ for only gain, you've picked one of the best amps out there.
Engl Fireball? If I'm not much mistaken, its a tad cheaper than the 6505+/5150II and you get a better clean channel.
yeh i use very little of the clean channel, and when i tried the 6505+ out, the clean channel really didnt seem anywhere near as bad as it is made out to be. Its definetly not the best, but as far as my type of style goes, its fine!

well i like a wide variety of metal, but as far as tone goes, i love arch enemys pre-doomsday machine tone (from like wages of sin) and also triviums tone from ascendency.

as far as price goes, the cheapest ive seen a 6505+ for around here, was about £850
i could probably find the 5150 version for less though if i went through a small repair type shop...

also: does the engl fireball not have like one gain dial for both channels or something?
or am i talking crap?
Top lel.
Quote by the memory
also: does the engl fireball not have like one gain dial for both channels or something?
or am i talking crap?

Yeah, something like that. Volume down on the guitar though and you get some really nice sparkly cleans, especially with the bright switch. The 6505+ does have an EQ for each channel though, which is always useful. Try one out though, they're nice amps
i've already tried the 6505+ and totally fell in love with it aha

to be honest, i think that would have happened with just about any amp though, given owning an MG

i might go try and hunt down an engl. theres definetly a shop around here that stocks them
Top lel.
Yup one gain knob, not as versatile and not enough headroom for metal. Now that said at low volumes the amp sounds amazing but if you looking for something just as versatile as the 6505+ your gonna need to step up to the Powerball which eats the 6505 alive in my opinion has the same type of gain structure but a whole lot smoother and less fizzy.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup one gain knob, not as versatile and not enough headroom for metal. Now that said at low volumes the amp sounds amazing but if you looking for something just as versatile as the 6505+ your gonna need to step up to the Powerball which eats the 6505 alive in my opinion has the same type of gain structure but a whole lot smoother and less fizzy.

Fireball? Can't do metal? Are you insane?
Quote by Tom_hatton
Fireball? Can't do metal? Are you insane?

Not insane just know how i like my metal and i know when you turn that puppy up it wants to cream out on ya which is why said at low volumes its a great amp. I like my metal tight with no power tube saturation, so i like alot of headroom usually 100+ wattage so if i do need to turn it up then i can and have just as tight a sound as i did at low volumes. Also I have an amp that is switchable from 60 to 120 watts now and even though im playing at low volumes i still keep it at 120 watts because it sounds a ton better. Now if I was playing classic rock or the blues sure nice creamy tone would be nice...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jun 20, 2008,
ive actually heard this about the fireball

a friend of mines band mate was going to get one, but changed to the 6505+ at the last minute
pretty much for the reasons you said
Top lel.