i was just thinking about this, whats the origin of the two fingered peace sign? or even the circle with the three pronged stick in it? anyone know (as were all peace loving hippie types here of course )
upon discussing Shay Laren..

Originally Posted by FloyDZeD
I googled her, and now I have a boner. Thanks a lot.

and horny things we done as youngsters, this one involving involving poo..

Quote by meh17
1 Toddler 1 Cup

epic
The "Three-Pronged Stick" is taken from the outline of the B-52 bomber, I believe.

EDIT: Wikipedia claims it's to do with semaphoric flag waving, or something.

EDIT EDIT:
Quote by seljer
the circle is a superposition of the naval flag codes for ND (nuclear disarmament)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_semaphore

What he said.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Last edited by roythereaper at Jun 20, 2008,
The circle one was formerly the symbol for an ICBM.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

The circle is the symbol for nuclear disarmament. It was originally used during the antinuclear rallies in the WW2 where a group of people marched to a research center with flags that had the circle peace sign on them. I don't know what the other one is from though.

Edit: beaten to it.
Last edited by hippiebass at Jun 20, 2008,
Quote by seljer
the circle is a superposition of the naval flag codes for ND (nuclear disarmament)

this is correct.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
The circle one stood for ND.

In military flag signals, "N" was represented by both flags diagonally down at the sides, much like an upside down V. "D" was represented by one flag pointing straight up and another pointing straight down, in the manner of a vertical line.

"N.D." stood for "nuclear disarmament" or something of that sort, so it's not much of a stretch to put the symbol for N and symbol for D together and make the peace sign.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Gene Simmons, he invented everything.

and attempts to patent everything
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
Lemmy invented both dio and gene simmons, and then invented everything else
the 2 fingered peace sign means v for victory.

so if there is victory, there is no war
Quote by djmay71
OMG

eddievh2, you are a genuis, and true man of action

damn right

Quote by Zugunruhe

or else, how good are you at drawing penises?

lulz
peace sign meant victory in WWII, troops would use it as an encouragement almost before and after battles. dont know how that evolved into meaning peace though
"To me it seems pretty straightforward. There are two opinions one can have about freedom of speech, you're for it or against it." - Tom Morello

Shackled Our Minds When You're Bent on the Cross... When Ignorance Reigns, Life is Lost
i've been told that the peace sign came from a picture in National Geographic of some sort of rally, where there were display boards set up such that when you looked down on it, it formed that three-pronged stick, and the front page of the magazine was that image cropped in a circle.

the two fingered was originally a V for Victory, and therefore peace.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
The circle ones in the shape of Peter's cross (he was crucified upside down). I dont know if that is cooincidental or not.
Quote by Kid Fisto
the two fingered was originally a V for Victory, and therefore peace.

I think that comes from some old war, when the English captured French archers and cut their first 2 fingers off, so used it as a taunt to them.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Is it not also regarded as an anti-Christian sign?

A broken cross upside down?
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
my 7th grade history teacher told me that it was a broken cross that was upside down since he thought hippies were evil
edit: beaten to it -.-
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Last edited by theocao at Jun 20, 2008,
Quote by Vince Noir
I think that comes from some old war, when the English captured French archers and cut their first 2 fingers off, so used it as a taunt to them.

Other way round. The French cut of the two fingers of English longbowmen.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
The peace sign came from, of all things, the battle of Agincourt(I may be incorrect on the particular battle, but the rest is correct, I am certain). Welsh longbowmen, whom the French had threatened to cut the fingers off of had the french been victorious, flashed their bow pulling fingers at the defeated French when the English prevailed. This became the universal victory sign not only because it looked like a V, but because it was the result of a true victory. In the 20th century this sign became the peace sign because of the inference that after victory, war is over.
My uncle tells me that it came from an upside-down cross with the arms broken downward >_>

But he's a major conspiracy theorist.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
The symbol denotes the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND)
The 'V' sign denotes victory for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, or, a hope that one day all nuclear weapons will be disarmed.