Whenever i play my e and B string on my acoustic guitar, it gets a weird twangy sound that makes it sound terrible. its especially noticable when I play with a capo. I have elixer mediums on it i think. Is that a common problem because those strings are a lot thinner than the other ones? I recently replaced the strings so did I mess on doing that? Is there something wrong with the nut? I'm completely lost. Help please
:stickpoke thats pretty much it
Something's probably wrong with your nut. Something really bad. Take it to your local friendly guitar store and ask them what's up.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
I have elixer mediums on it i think. Is that a common problem because those strings are a lot thinner than the other ones?

Elixir mediums are 13-56. Thats considered thick.

I recently replaced the strings so did I mess on doing that?

Has it only started since you changed strings? In any case, you dont seem confident on your string changing ability. Have a look at a string changing tutorial on the net, theres dozens. Just google 'acoustic-guitar-change-strings' or something like that.
Quote by tom183

Has it only started since you changed strings? In any case, you dont seem confident on your string changing ability. Have a look at a string changing tutorial on the net, theres dozens. Just google 'acoustic-guitar-change-strings' or something like that.

no it was before that too. i did watch a tutorial first because it was the first time i changed my acoustic strings myself. but no it was present before ive just noticed it more lately.
Because it exists when a capo is used, that means it has nothing to do with the nut. Rather, it is either a case of uneven frets which only a pro can fix or too little neck relief. You don't actually want the neck of an acoustic to be perfectly straight. This can be adjusted with the truss rod.
How can it be your nut if it is worse with a capo when capoe'd the nut is out of the equasion.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
My electric does the same, the strings tend to hit some of the frets when I pick them slightly harder than normal. Either your action is insanely low (as I like mine) or the relief should be checked.
i took a look at it and the nut is on an angle and the part by the e and B strings is very close to the neck. i think the strings are too close to the frets and thats was causing the buzzing/twanging sounds. does that make sense? and if so do i just get to get a new nut?