Page 1 of 2
Yes, I know its been done before, but I figure we may as well have a lovely new one.

You all get it, post the guitarist/band with your favourite tone and you least favourite as well. And please don't argue or start flaming or any of that crap.

Favourite- Between the buried and me. In THIS video, they have amazing sound and I don't think theres any arguing with that

Least favourite- Probably the generic thrash scooped mids thing. I suppose it works for the genre, but I really don't like it. Metallica is probably the best example.

Post away.
Love the old Van Halen brown sound, hate anything sterile or generic sounding.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Jimmy Page's all around tone is awesome.
↓↑ MISDIRECT ↑↓

The (Rather Basic) Rig:
- 1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (Feels good, man)
- 1960 Marshall AV Cab (Vintage 30s, Feels good, man)
- A shitty MIM strat
- Fulltone OCD (Jizztastic)
- Dunlop Classic Crybaby
I like David Gilmour's tone, Carlos Santanas. I actually think Rise Against has great tone. I really hate a harsh high gain sound. Scooped mids too.
Quote by Tom_hatton
Favourite- Between the buried and me. In THIS video, they have amazing sound and I don't think theres any arguing with that

They have SWEET lead tone.

I hate when there's so much gain the guitar sounds soupy without any definition at all. I mean really. Just turn it down a little?
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Im not too piccy on the tone because each band I like has a tone suited to what they are playing.

My fav. clean tone would definally be Gilmore.
Lead tone: In flames
Rythem tone: Inflames/Metallica post Kill-em all, pre Load.

The only tone that ever annoyed my was system of a downs last 2 albums. didnt like it at all. but thats me.
Favorite:
Santana and SRV are tied

Hated:
Again, scooped+high gain metal stuff, stuff with too much treble, etc.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Fave: Alex Lifeson's modern-day live tone. Joe Perry's modern live tone. Shooter Jennings' dirty and clean tones. Jack White's tones, and David Gilmour's cleans.

Least: Generic thrash shit, stuff without enough mids.
Boston, The old Van Halen Brown sound and Eric Johnson are all tied in my book

then Static x
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Favourites: Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth), John Petrucci (Dream Theater), Robert Fripp (King Crimson), and Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree), Dallas Toler-Wade/Karl Sanders (Nile).

Least Favourites: Wayne Static (Static-X), Immortal's first album (Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism), Mutiilation.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Favorite- Gilmore (live; Dark Side of the Moon Tour) or Steve Vai (Whispering a Prayer; at the Astoria)
Least Favorite: Overly sterile sounding solid states, and guitar sounds that are so buried in effects that you can't tell it's even a guitar
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
favourite: probably arch enemys circa wages of sin/anthems of rebellion, triviums from ascendency and disarmonia mundi's from fragments of a d-generation.
i like eric johnsons too

least favourite: anything thats ridiculously over-gained, thin and grey sounding
Top lel.
Favorites... Gojira, Chimaira, All that remains, Five Finger Death Punch and a slew of other metal bands i cant think of at the moment... also old school blues artists

Hate... Country music tone, and there is a few metal/rock bands i hate but i can never remember then till im in the car and they come on the radio...
Quote by istealpants
Favorite tones: Sakito from Nightmare, which you guys probably don't know about so here
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IDArad5jf1g
and this guys
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UEN7n_Areo0

Least favorite: Dimebag's tone, it's so damn thin and cold.

Awesome, a Nightmare fan.

As for me though, my favorite tones would be Megadeth's tone on UA, Marty Friedman's tone on Loudspeaker, or Hitsugi of Nightmare's tone. I hate how his guitar's always being drowned out by Sakito, though.

I hate guitar tones with too much treble, and that are super-thin. Or too much gain, like Nile. Don't get me wrong, I ****ing love Nile, and I think their tone works well with the music, it's just that they've got too much gain going on.
Good tones: Nickelback, Dream Theaters newer albums, Metallica Ride the Lightning, Load/Reload, Garage Days (the new songs), St. Anger, Yngwie, and TOOL!!!!

Bad Tones: Old dream theater, Steve Vai, And Justice For All, Nirvana, Dimebag with pantera.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Good: Simon from Blindside on the album Silence, Acceptance (Rocker 50s baby!), Nirvana's In Utero album...etc.

Bad: Generic pop punk and generic metal
Favs: Ensiferum- Iron album, Wintersun- self titled, Opeth- all

hate: anything with too much gain and the absence of mids.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Off the top of my head, my favorite tones are Converge (only in You Fail Me), Dave Gilmour, Behemoth, Buckethead, Coheed and Cambria, Van Halen, and John Fruisciante.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Definitely digging Protest The Hero's tone.
Also Winds of Plague's lead tone anyone?
The tone on the outro of One Body Too Many is just godly.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Favourite: The opening riff on Newborn by Muse. Basically anything fuzzed up beyond reason.

Hate: Been said a lot already. Just too much muddied up gain. Out of control fuzz still has some character, but too much distortion just sounds sterile. (imo, etc etc)
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
Last edited by PKTrono at Jun 21, 2008,
I love Buddy Guy's tone. BB King's too. Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks also have awesome tones. Greg Ginn's tone is pretty cool, too.

As far as hating tones, I have to say... probably that damned shredder tone. So much freakin delay it's nauseating. Country and surf tones are annoying too. Too much reverb.
do analog and digital petals make a differnce because i need good pedals for a tube amp, wah, phaser, chorus, flanger, metal pedal, tube screamer, delay, etc.
squier starter amp
squier bullet strat
epiphone les paul custom elitist with duncans
blackheart handsome devil
peavey vyper

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by imgooley
I love Buddy Guy's tone.

Dang, forgot about Buddy!
His backup guitarist, Ric Hall has great tone too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Love Jimi's tones. Hate Daron Malakian's tones.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by darkarbiter7
Dang, forgot about Buddy!
His backup guitarist, Ric Hall has great tone too.

Yarp. I love it even more when he brings out that cherry red ES-335. I think his tone was the best when he was with Jimmy Reed, though. He's really not changed that much, though, in the 50 years he's been playing.

I also dig Otis Rush's tone and Duane Allman's tone. My favorite Clapton tone was when he was with Cream, or The Bluesbreakers. I don't like his post-Cream tone that much.

Hubert Sumlin and Muddy Waters also had awesome tones, as did Earl Hooker.

Add Joe Bonamassa's more recent tone (after he got rid of 2/3s of his pedal board), and Wes Montgomery's tone to my list of fav's.

Another hated tone=John Mayer's. He scoops the **** out of his tone, and it was worse before he started using the Two Rock amps.
favorites: SRV, pre-st. anger james hetfield, BTBAM (those videos were unbelieveable), dave knudson from minus the bear, dave gilmour, mark and willie from lamb of god, adam jones from tool, and of course john frusicante

crap tones: mick thompson from slipknot (check out his sig. amp, its actually painful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfYIZgwlaXc&feature=related), and although i love killswitch, their tone kind of bugs me, same with protest the hero and bring me the horizon.
My Rig:

Schecter C-1+
Washburn X12QVS
Ibanez RG7321
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic-Electric
Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Crate Practice Amp
Marshall G80CDR
Maxon OD808
I like Gus G's (from Firewind) sound, Alexi Laiho's, the good old 80s thrash metal sound (like Megadeth's Rust In Peace or Testament's The Legacy albums) I hate scooped mids sounds like Dimebag's. I used to scoop my mids for so long, and then, I don't know how what I did to survive it lol...
I can't really decipher sometimes because tone and play style go hand in hand. Take Eric Johnson, His tone sounds good but so much of that tone is in the fingers.

I dig smoove jazz tones (semis)

A tone I don't dig is this super trebly tone the White Stripes are sporting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OjTspCqvk8

The fun starts around the 2:20 mark. easily the worst solo and tone I've ever heard
Quote by Free Time
I can't really decipher sometimes because tone and play style go hand in hand. Take Eric Johnson, His tone sounds good but so much of that tone is in the fingers.

I dig smoove jazz tones (semis)

A tone I don't dig is this super trebly tone the White Stripes are sporting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OjTspCqvk8

The fun starts around the 2:20 mark. easily the worst solo and tone I've ever heard

Jack White kills his tone with that damned whammy pedal. He's got a nice, thick, greasy tone, and that whammy just ruins it for me sometimes. Dan Auerbach has a sexy tone, on the other hand.

And yeah, Jazz tones are teh pwn0rz, especially Wes Montgomery and Jim Hall (GA 50, FTW)
Herman Ri has the best tone EVAR!

Seriously now.

Favourites: SRV, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, and Mikael Akerfeldt.

Least Favourties: Herman Li, Paul Gilbert and Dimebag.
Gear
Epiphone G-400
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Blackstar HT-Dual
MXR 10-Band EQ
Last edited by polaroidvision at Jun 21, 2008,
Favourites: Slash's tone on the Appetite album, and also on Estranged from UYI2 - Matt Heafy from The Crusade (Some people may argue with this tone, but I seemingly love it) - James Hetfield (On master of Puppets).
I hate all modern pop indie tones, i.e. distorted Fender HRD. And Paul Gilbert's.
I thought I was the only person who hated Paul Gilberts tone, all my friends seem to think its really good. He's a great player, but his tone is too thin, not nearly enough gain for what he plays IMO.
Quote by Tom_hatton
I thought I was the only person who hated Paul Gilberts tone, all my friends seem to think its really good. He's a great player, but his tone is too thin, not nearly enough gain for what he plays IMO.

see i've always said that. its a very thin tone and its quite scratchy sounding too

but it works for him, so its quite cool
if anybody else played with it, it wouldn't work
Top lel.
Page 1 of 2