Hey dudes, I just got my Gibson SG standard in the mail from eBay! Best guitar I've ever played, I love it. The auction said that he just had it professionally set up. But when I got it I liked the action but I noticed the bridge pickup was a lot higher then the neck, why is this? Should it be like this or is it preference? I'll get pics of the new guitar up later. Thanks guys, Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
the closer you get the pickup to the strings the more output they have, so if you want your bridge to have more output than your neck then you raise it up

its preference
And on the SG, the body is at a funny angle with the strings, so the bridge has to be higher in order to be equal to the neck. Also, the neck is (strangely) much hotter than the bridge (at least on mine) so I like to have the bridge a bit higher.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Thanks for all the answers, I gots it now. I'll experiment with it
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
My Gibson LP Standard came set up with the 'optimum' height for a Les Paul and the action is very high indeed. Have to say almost changed it after a day of playing it but it grew on me and now I'm not changing it at all simply because it produces so much girth. I've never quite heard a Les Paul like it. Mind you the tonality change is also contributed with a GOTOH upgrade bridge and a wrap around stop bar, with the bar lowered very close to the body.
nice new toy!!!! and WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT EVER GET RID OF IT!!!!

i still wish i had mine but im getting a Paul but still wish i kept my SG
Thats the best way for an SG. Just, for the love of all things good, do not knock or drop it. SGs dont deal well with that, at all. Usual catastrophic failure, so play it safe!
The neck to body angle of an SG is so that the neck is "bent back" away from the body. For this reason, the strings, which are relatively parallel to the neck, are higher away from the body/pickguard at the bridge pickup than at the neck pickup. Therefore, in order to have the same space between the pickups and strings for each pickup, the bridge pickup must be higher.

Note that the neck pocket is like this on many guitars, either by use of a shim or by the way they are cut, and that this is not abnormal at all - the angle is simply more pronounced on SGs for whatever reason.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N