Hey, I've been wanting a TS-808 for a little while, but the only thing is the price. I wasn't able to get a job by the end of summer, so I couldn't get a work permit from my school (In my school, for whatever lame ass reason, you need to get the interview, then get the job, THEN go to the school and get your permit, BEFORE school ends, and then, and only then, can you get your summer job). so I'm stuck on the "half your age a week" allowance that my parents instating a while back.

Well, this isn't a thread about how I should get money, and I don't want it to turn in to that, so I'll get to the point:

What are some good TS-808-esque ODs that use the 808 chip?

I've seen the Visual Sound Route 808, but what others are there with comparable (good) quality and lower price?

EDIT: Check profile for specifics in what I play, but generally I just want it for psychobilly/Brian Setzer in the Brian Setzer Orchestra kind of tones, the latter because it's got the specific kind of "clip" I'm looking for.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Last edited by Chris_Parker at Jun 20, 2008,
I can build you one for $100 shipped.

True Bypass

Clipping selector and bass boost.

All metal film resistors, and Panasonic capacitors. And I'll ship it with 3 different IC chips to try in the socket
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
No disrespect or anything, I'm not really in the market for a homemade one. I've got a guy on my friends list who does that too, I just was wondering if there were any major 808 clones as cheap as the Route 808 (and if it was any good).

EDIT:

You got me a bit interested, though, what do they look like?
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Lemme take a pic for you. I bet you are referring to the.spine.surfs. His 808s are pretty solid for sure. My ODs are a bit different, it has more gain on tap, but can also be more transparent and be used as a relatively clean boost. Its not an exact 808 copy. The one I have on hand now is in a larger case than I use. I will take a pic of the old design next to one of the new, smaller cases. Im currently in the process of building a couple for friends, local bands, and another UG user named Howey.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Lemme take a pic for you. I bet you are referring to the.spine.surfs. His 808s are pretty solid for sure. My ODs are a bit different, it has more gain on tap, but can also be more transparent and be used as a relatively clean boost. Its not an exact 808 copy. The one I have on hand now is in a larger case than I use. I will take a pic of the old design next to one of the new, smaller cases. Im currently in the process of building a couple for friends, local bands, and another UG user named Howey.

Yeah, that's who I was talking about.

That sounds rad, though. The only reason I'm not sure about this is that my parents probably won't be too hot on the idea, as lame as that sounds.
Quote by Pauldapro
You could look into The.Spine.surfs OD's they're VERY good.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Yeah, but what about store-available 808 ODs?
Quote by Pauldapro
Maybe BBE Green Screamer, but idk what the Route 808 costs in the first place. But the BBE one is selling for $99US on mf..
Honestly i dont like the stockers, I modded my tubescreamer into a 808 and didnt care for it. Not enough gain, level and the mid hump was annoying. My next od pedal is going to be a DIY so i can have it do what i want it to do.
Well I don't want the OD for anything really heavy, I just want a little dirt n' grit on my sound, like you'd find in psychobilly. Nothing really crazy or over the top, just some clip.
Quote by Pauldapro
The simple alternative would be the Maxon OD-808.

Also, the BYOC Tubescreamer clone.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
^ prices?

I can't check right now. So far:

BBE: $100
VS: $110 (I think)
Quote by Pauldapro
Can't remember off the top of my head, honestly. So, I guess just look them up on your own? as you're bound to be looking for more options, anyway.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
the maxon is us$135
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab

This is the one on my board. I hand drew all the graphics before. Now, on my builds for others though I have full color printed graphics for the casings. Then I put a solution on the decals to melt them to the paint and then put clear coat over them. The result is a much more professional look and a cleaner design. On my newer builds I use a smaller casing (I get them from Z.Vex) that for most circuits a battery cannot fit inside. The one on my board is my pedal that gets the most use. It stays on for all but the cleanest of parts. It is extremely dynamic and responsive. If you still want a store bought pedal, you can always get a Boss SD-1 and mod it to 808 specs for cheaper than nearly every option thrown out. For 75 dollars you can have a pedal that can hang with the real deal. Monte Allums has some great mods available. This is something I have done to my SD-1, and love it.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Jun 23, 2008,