Ususally i would just use down strokes, it was a bad habit i gained when I started. This morning I started learning to alternate pick. It has helped me alot espescially with speed. Well I decided I may as well just try and strum up and down. It works better too. Only problem is when I strum, The pick gets caught on the strings and sometimes it stops or just makes the chord so each string is its own note instead of one. Am I holding the pick wrong, Too tight, Too thick of a pick, Too thin, or what? Usually I use .6 and .73 mm picks and hold it with my index and thumb with a little less than half the pick sticking out past the very e nds of my index finger.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Just practice. You should be able to strum with any gauge at all.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
ok i got two opposite answers, push harder and hold less firm
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Try holding it softer, it worked for me when I first started. Also try slow timed beats, like, 1,2,3,4 ect. It may be good for you to get a metronome, best thing you can do for yourself.
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
strum with your wrist and swing it back and forth. Try to hit the strings in a semi-circle motion
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I used to have a similar problem... Basically you just have to be loose when you strum, cuz i find when i tighten or tense up my strumming gets wierd... It's all in the wrist. It's kind of difficult to practice... I've just found that over time as i've gotten more confident and comfortable with my playing i've gotten looser and more relaxed. Before long you should have no problems with strumming.
Angle the pick when you strum. When you strum down have it pointing a little back up towards you and when you strum up have it pointing a little more down towards the floor.
Well, here's the key. When strummin up and down, you have to swing from the elbow. See with alternate pickin, you use your wrist to pick. With strummin up and down, you need to pivot from the elbow instead of jus the wrist. The reason is cuz you're coverin more space.
It really is just getting used to strumming - you have to hold the pick loose enough to not get stuck on the strings, yet tight enough so it doesn't go flying. Gauge shouldn't really matter when it comes to strumming, so just practice a few easier slow strumming songs (though it may be boring) and just get the feel for it.
Eh.
is it possible to palm mute a power chord when strumming up and down, because I can only seem to do it down no matter how hard I try. I cant altenatte pick and palm mute at the same time either.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
is it possible to palm mute a power chord when strumming up and down, because I can only seem to do it down no matter how hard I try. I cant altenatte pick and palm mute at the same time either.

Yes it is ( I just tried it ). The up strokes seem to come out almost single string like ( although I got maybe one or two true palm muted powerchords from up strokes ).

Quote by HumBucker666

Quote by GrEgUms1991

Europeans Unite!
Quote by human panda
Yes it is ( I just tried it ). The up strokes seem to come out almost single string like ( although I got maybe one or two true palm muted powerchords from up strokes ).

ok thanks. Sometimes my downs sounds like that too, just not often. And its not the root I hear either, its the 5th or whatever its called.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Did any of that advice help you with your strumming? If it didnt I would recommend you post a Youtube video or something so that we can see you playing. It would make it alot easier for people to help you.
Quote by Polystant
ok thanks. Sometimes my downs sounds like that too, just not often. And its not the root I hear either, its the 5th or whatever its called.

On this matter, Dave Mustaine does some great lessons on strumming in Guitar Worlds currently. One of his lessons called Up Side Down Chords would be much help to you, I belive it is the June or May issue.

Quote by HumBucker666

Quote by GrEgUms1991

Europeans Unite!