I am about to pull the trigger on a MIM standard strat that plays awesome. The only unfortunate fact is that it is in the blue finish and I hate that color. I have always yearned for fiesta red strat however they are hard to find. I was wondering how hard it would be to refinish a standard MIM in fiesta red and put a nitro finish on it? I want the finish to show wear after awhile. I love how the hwy 1 strats show wear after awhile however they are not offered in fiesta red. The classic 50's strats are offered in that color but are finished with a poly finish that just does not do the fiesta red justice.

Secondly is it possible to tint the maple neck like the classic 50's strats? If so, what is needed to do so?
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Alvarez FD-60 acoustic electric- $295 obo (perfect condition, amber finish)
Lindy Fralin Blues Special Strat pickups (as set, perfect condition) - $175 obo

PM me if you are interested!
Id personally just get another guitar, refinishing is pretty expensive, esp in nitro so its not really worth it imo
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Really? Darn...well I may just have to save my pennies for a 50's classic then. That is unfortunate.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Quote by ccrnnr9
I am about to pull the trigger on a MIM standard strat that plays awesome. The only unfortunate fact is that it is in the blue finish and I hate that color. I have always yearned for fiesta red strat however they are hard to find. I was wondering how hard it would be to refinish a standard MIM in fiesta red and put a nitro finish on it? I want the finish to show wear after awhile. I love how the hwy 1 strats show wear after awhile however they are not offered in fiesta red. The classic 50's strats are offered in that color but are finished with a poly finish that just does not do the fiesta red justice.

Secondly is it possible to tint the maple neck like the classic 50's strats? If so, what is needed to do so?
~Nick

This will get more action in the GB&C Forum.

Painting it Fiesta Red using Nitro lacquer is pretty straightforward since those are available in spraycans. You don't even need to sand it all the way to bare wood, just scuff sand with 320 grit, spray the Red, then the clear, wait 4 weeks, buff/polish.

The neck is trickier since you'll have to go to bare wood to tint it. Minwax, available at DIY and other bigbox stores, is available in water-based. You'll have to experiment with scrap Maple so it doesn't end up looking puke Yellow, etc.

BTW, you can buy the Nitro lacquer online: ReRanch, StewMac, LMI, etc.

Refinishing a guitar takes ages, taking off the finish is quite a long thing, and then its weeks for stuff to dry correctly, again, i think its too much effort but its up to you
Quote by Snapple
Refinishing a guitar takes ages, taking off the finish is quite a long thing, and then its weeks for stuff to dry correctly, again, i think its too much effort but its up to you

Yea, but imagine the satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself. I say go for it
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
Do you know if automotive paint comes in fiesta red? If not, what is the closest color?
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Quote by Snapple

Actually, it's quite fun, if you're interested in such stuff. It also allows you to learn more about your quitar, since you have to de-solder the PUs, jacks, pots, switches, dis-assemble, re-assemble, set-up/re-intonate, etc. It's a long Summer, you can only surf, vege, go to the movies, etc. so much.

Oh and another option would be to do the project with the new 50's classic vibe squier (I have heard awesome reviews on them) as it comes stock with a vintage tinted neck. Then I could just refinish that body with fiesta red and nitro. Also, the pickups will be swapped with lindy fralin's so that isn't an issue anyways.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Quote by ccrnnr9
Do you know if automotive paint comes in fiesta red? If not, what is the closest color?
~Nick

Here in the US, most automotive paints (Acrylic lacquer) such as Duplicolor and Auto Shop house brands are made by Sherwin-Williams. If you can't find one close to Fiesta Red, you can special order it from the S-W stores.

You can also use old stock Krylon (used by Crash Matto who painted Eric Clapton's Crashocasters and 50 Fender CS Strats), also Acrylic lacquer, and made by S-W. The new ones are Enamel, a bit trickier.

Well good luck if your willing to put the hours in, post some pics when you finish
Will acrylic lacquer fade and wear like nitro? I don't know why but the idea of a guitar showing wear and tear is awesome to me. That and I love fiesta red. To me it is the color that NEEDS to show wear. I have two strats I am wanting to build:

One fiesta red with nitro finish and tinted maple neck
One Olympic white with poly finish and standard maple neck and gold anodized pickguard.
~Nick
FOR SALE:

Quote by Ippon
Here in the US, most automotive paints (Acrylic lacquer) such as Duplicolor and Auto Shop house brands are made by Sherwin-Williams. If you can't find one close to Fiesta Red, you can special order it from the S-W stores.

You can also use old stock Krylon (used by Crash Matto who painted Eric Clapton's Crashocasters and 50 Fender CS Strats), also Acrylic lacquer, and made by S-W. The new ones are Enamel, a bit trickier.

Maybe you can help me. I just primed and painted my squier with the new Krylon (indoor/outdoor) and then realized the situation. I have not put any clear coat on yet and I'm trying to figure out what brand lacquer I can use without eating the paint. What's the best option to get a good deep clear coat over the top of my paint?

Thanks to anybody who helps. . .
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by Jammy Pige
Maybe you can help me. I just primed and painted my squier with the new Krylon (indoor/outdoor) and then realized the situation. I have not put any clear coat on yet and I'm trying to figure out what brand lacquer I can use without eating the paint. What's the best option to get a good deep clear coat over the top of my paint?

Thanks to anybody who helps. . .
Use the Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Glossy Clearcoat!

Enamel in spraycan is a bitch to use because it doesn't dry as fast as the Acrylic version; however, as long as you can wait a few days before wetsanding, the results will be similar.

For example, I painted my Crash/Petrucci mod (see sig) with Arcylic Lacquer in 1.5 days and assembled and gigged it the same day. With Enamel, it would probably have taken a week or more.

Quote by Ippon
Use the Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Glossy Clearcoat!

Enamel in spraycan is a bitch to use because it doesn't dry as fast as the Acrylic version; however, as long as you can wait a few days before wetsanding, the results will be similar.

For example, I painted my Crash/Petrucci mod (see sig) with Arcylic Lacquer in 1.5 days and assembled and gigged it the same day. With Enamel, it would probably have taken a week or more.

Thanks for the info. . . I know this stuff isn't rocket science, but it sure helps when somebody else can share their experience and save somebody else from disaster, so I do appreciate all the input when I can get it.

I'm found a link where somebody used Rustoleum lacquer on krylon with no prob with wrinkles like other lacquers; I don't think the "specialty lacquer" is true lacquer.

I've already bought a few cans of the rustoleum and ran some tests and it seemed to work fine, but I don't think it's the best clear (maybe there's something better) so I'm going to try a couple other's before I decide. I'll check out the krylon glossy clear coat too if they have any left. . . Thanks!

Anybody know of a cheaper rubbing compound than 3m makes at $20 plus per can? That's probably about the norm for polishes. . . I'll have to rob my son's piggy bank. . . again. . . hmmmwaaaa!!!
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Feb 20, 2009,